Post-Game Talk: Leafs 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I liked our first period. I sure hate seeing our guys stick waving top players.

Scheif has been good this year. But man, there are some plays that are head scratchers. For a guy that always talks about wanting to play against the other team's best, he gets bested a bit too much one on one.

We had enough chances to get one in the first period and it would have been a very different game. GJG!

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
I liked our first period. I sure hate seeing our guys stick waving top players.

Scheif has been good this year. But man, there are some plays that are head scratchers. For a guy that always talks about wanting to play against the other team's best, he gets bested a bit too much one on one.

We had enough chances to get one in the first period and it would have been a very different game. GJG!
yup, the paul maurice of hockey players. says all the things you want to hear about working his hardest, then when push comes to shove he doesn't work his hardest in the defensive zone.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
yup, the paul maurice of hockey players. says all the things you want to hear about working his hardest, then when push comes to shove he doesn't work his hardest in the defensive zone.
Scheifele has been great up until the last few games, maybe a bit tired from the long season. I think he gets it going again soon.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I like this loss a lot more than our loss to Montreal. We were overall better than the leafs but their goaltender made the stops ours couldn't. That narrative isn't being entertained because in this market, the starter gets far more wiggle room than I see anywhere else. Thats going back to Pavelec.

Reactions: hn777

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I like this loss a lot more than our loss to Montreal. We were overall better than the leafs but their goaltender made the stops ours couldn't. That narrative isn't being entertained because in this market, the starter gets far more wiggle room than I see anywhere else. Thats going back to Pavelec.
Well that's because Helly has earned that over the years being one of the best goalies in the game. Now could he have been better these last 2 games, yes he can and i'm sure he will.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the starter gets far more wiggle room he's been one of the best & most consistent goalies in the league since 2017. and he gets a lot of criticism i see on other Jets discussion platforms. not sure if Helle kicked your dog, banged your gf or some shit. 0 clue what your beef with him stems from.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I'm not ready to give up on the season but it is a bitter pill to swallow that, just as it looked like the Jets were ascending the ranks to the top tier of teams, they have been exposed and look more like a middle of the pack team now.

It would have been easier to rationalize a bad game against Toronto as a one-off if it wasn't for the hot garbage the Jets served up the game before in Montreal. Is the Eastern Conference just that much better?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm not ready to give up on the season but it is a bitter pill to swallow that, just as it looked like the Jets were ascending the ranks to the top tier of teams, they have been exposed and look more like a middle of the pack team now.

It would have been easier to rationalize a bad game against Toronto as a one-off if it wasn't for the hot garbage the Jets served up the game before in Montreal. Is the Eastern Conference just that much better?
You know we are still second in the west with a game in hand, 6th overall and recently had a 9-1 run, right?

People get so up and down over a bad loss, or a great win. EVERY team, (even the mighty Bruins) lay eggs and have bad games. We are still 7-3 in our last 10.

What good teams do is limit losing streaks. The Winnipeg Jets have had exactly one losing streak of 3 games this year. That is incredible.

We are at the top or at least in the top half of the league in PP, PK, GF, GA.

We are over halfway through the season.

We have only had some key players back for just over a week.

We are just starting to purge the illness going through the team.

I don't really know what people actually want or expect. If we went 82 - 0 I swear to god people would bitch we aren't winning the right way.

Peachkings1922

Aug 13, 2022
Grimsby
Not making excuses, however, with travel and middle of the season this is the time to get back on track. This is when they need to turn shit around with a big win and go on a streak. They have had a better year than expected and need to get back together play hard.
RB has done a good job at getting this team going again. I'd like to see them acquire another F maybe Horvat to tighten up the top 9.
Agree with @Jet, well said.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

He's one of the best goaltenders in the league and has been for years so he's earned that. He wasn't even horrible yesterday.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
He is also the most hurt jet. When has schief ever missed half as many games as Ehlers? Ditto for Morrissey.
Just to clarify:

Do you mean "missed" as in on the injury list or "missed" as in gliding around the ice and taking the night off?

If he'd made even a minimal effort at the start of the second period, he could have stepped in front of Mathews at the blue line and the night might have gone quite differently.

As it is, we underperformed, Hellebuyck was ordinary against a few good shots, and Samsynov came up big for them. It happens, no need to get overly worked up about it. On to the next game.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just to clarify:

Do you mean "missed" as in on the injury list or "missed" as in gliding around the ice and taking the night off?

If he'd made even a minimal effort at the start of the second period, he could have stepped in front of Mathews at the blue line and the night might have gone quite differently.

As it is, we underperformed, Hellebuyck was ordinary against a few good shots, and Samsynov came up big for them. It happens, no need to get overly worked up about it. On to the next game.
:naughty:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
The Western Conference is such a donkey’s arse. Not that I am complaining. Could you imagine being in the Leafs shoes having to go through Tampa and Boston to get to the Conference Finals?

Big opportunity this year for the Jets to get to the Cup (and then get beaten down like a rented mule).

Edit: I might not need to activate The Switch this year!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The Western Conference is such a donkey’s arse. Not that I am complaining. Could you imagine being in the Leafs shoes having to go through Tampa and Boston to get to the Conference Finals?

Big opportunity this year for the Jets to get to the Cup (and then get beaten down like a rented mule).

Edit: I might not need to activate The Switch this year!
Jets are 8-9 against the east. A whopping 21-7-1 against the west.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
if we bring him in we would be playing only 165k for him at a cap hit of 2.625
Who is Toews replacing? 5 on 5 Lowry has 2 more points than Toews 5 on 5, Playing 2 less minutes/Game At even. Toews isn’t going to touch PP1. As the Bobs would say “what exactly you say you do around here”?

this team need Appleton back as 4RW and someone better for 3RW.

BARRON - LOWRY - TDLA
SAKU - STEN - APPLETON

GUS.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Who is Toews replacing? 5 on 5 Lowry has 2 more points than Toews 5 on 5, Playing 2 less minutes/Game At even. Toews isn’t going to touch PP1. As the Bobs would say “what exactly you say you do around here”?

this team need Appleton back as 4RW and someone better for 3RW.

BARRON - LOWRY - TDLA
SAKU - STEN - APPLETON

GUS.
he would be an upgrade on everyone on pretty much everybody in our bottom six

hardystar

Jan 18, 2023
Jets are 8-9 against the east. A whopping 21-7-1 against the west.
I don't have the data in front of me, but it seems like the Jets have struggled against Eastern teams for a couple of years now. I wonder if it is a style of play issue ie less physical, more speed than the Western teams.

I was at the game yesterday and it is tough having to see them lose to the Leafs. Generally, they played well except for a few mistakes that the Leafs buried.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't have the data in front of me, but it seems like the Jets have struggled against Eastern teams for a couple of years now. I wonder if it is a style of play issue ie less physical, more speed than the Western teams.

I was at the game yesterday and it is tough having to see them lose to the Leafs. Generally, they played well except for a few mistakes that the Leafs buried.

year: vs east record/west record

21-22: 11-19-2 & 28-13-6
19-20: 13-16-2 & 24-12-4

20-21 was CDN Div.

Reactions: hn777

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
You know what's funny ... some of you make fun of the Leafs board meltdown after a Leafs' loss and I basically read the same comments here after a Jets loss only difference is the players name.
There are going to be bad games like the Habs game and games when you make mistakes against all-stars they are going to make you pay ... relax it's a long season you want the Jets playing their best in the spring.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Maybe its the time change?
I would like to see what the rest of the western conference record is against the east.

I don't think it's very flattering to the West. I think Arizona is actually pretty good against the East though.

The West is just a dumpster fire this year.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
They had a lot of effort in an inconsistent game. Major screw ups allowed the Leafs to get a lead and play a more defensive style. If you don’t give up the short handed goal and then get the PP goal it’s a 1 goal game and a chance for a different ending.

They need a couple of wins to rinse the stench off. Saku doesn’t have the vision to play with a Perfetti.

Barron was ok but there’s no reason not to see what 91-55-27 would look like as a line.

Hockey Day in Canada is going to suck if we lay an egg against the Sens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad