Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 4th Rd Draft Pick (#118 OA) - Mac Hollowell (5'9", 170, D, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
Seen him play a bunch. He's fun to watch. I'm not a scout by any stretch so don't know how his game will transfer to the AHL.

Reactions: Morgs

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How do you look at his numbers this year and come to the conclusion that he isn't worth a pick out of the 215 or whatever. Who are these scouts so I can avoid them in the future?
Maybe you should look at more than counting stats. He's injury prone and has issues. Teams generally don't rank much past 100 players, so a no-draft is player they don't put in their top 100. This is a quote on Hollowell and Durzi from an NHL scout in the Black Book.

“You can't play at that size…like F*** it’s impossible. I don’t think his hockey sense is good enough either…he's a great skater…I don’t get fooled by the Durzi’s or these guys. They’re good in the OHL because number 1: they can skate their way out of trouble …and two: there’s no hitting. I mean, I like him enough that I’d put him on our AHL team, but at the next level (NHL)I don’t know how he plays.” NHL Scout, May 2018

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I did not have him undrafted. I thought 83 would be the earliest the Leafs should have considered him. There is something there, but not nearly as much as what other guys had.

And that quote above. Would not put it that blunt, but that is how I see both of them. I think great skater is overrating it a little bit. He's a good skater, but for the other stuff he possesses, it's not enough.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Maybe you should look at more than counting stats. He's injury prone and has issues. Teams generally don't rank much past 100 players, so a no-draft is player they don't put in their top 100. This is a quote on Hollowell and Durzi from an NHL scout in the Black Book.

“You can't play at that size…like F*** it’s impossible. I don’t think his hockey sense is good enough either…he's a great skater…I don’t get fooled by the Durzi’s or these guys. They’re good in the OHL because number 1: they can skate their way out of trouble …and two: there’s no hitting. I mean, I like him enough that I’d put him on our AHL team, but at the next level (NHL)I don’t know how he plays.” NHL Scout, May 2018
how can you take a scout seriously when they say 6' and 200 pounds is impossibly small for the NHL? Even 5'9 defensemen are a thing now, with guys like Krug, Spurgeon, etc. Hell, Hughes went 7th overall and he's about the same size

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

There's dman in the NHL that are smaller than him, and who's to say he isn't done growing yet. When you say it's impossible at his size but then there's players smaller in the NHL already is pretty questionable. Of course there's other issues he'll need to work on - he's a late 2nd round pick after all.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

6' and 200lbs is small? Impossible? Really?

How big is Mo Riles? Dermott?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There's dman in the NHL that are smaller than him, and who's to say he isn't done growing yet. When you say it's impossible at his size but then there's players smaller in the NHL already is pretty questionable. Of course there's other issues he'll need to work on - he's a 3rd round pick after all.
Durzi and Hollowell both went way too early for my liking. Durzi was a 2nd, and Hollowell a 4th.

Either way, I think we drafted pretty badly today and didn't hit when there was better value on the board.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe you should look at more than counting stats. He's injury prone and has issues. Teams generally don't rank much past 100 players, so a no-draft is player they don't put in their top 100.

Ya, that's not how it works, lol :help:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Durzi and Hollowell both went way too early for my liking. Durzi was a 2nd, and Hollowell a 4th.

Either way, I think we drafted pretty badly today and didn't hit when there was better value on the board.
I mean that's fine, everyone has their favourites and opinions on players. It seems like you kind of had your mind made up anyhow before the draft given who's running and who's not.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
One thing is for sure, I much prefer a producing overager like Hollowell over a fridge that can't pass like Middleton.

We'll see how he progresses next season, which could very well be on the Marlies.

I would have taken Kral here instead, but still got Kral in the 5th round.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
how can you take a scout seriously when they say 6' and 200 pounds is impossibly small for the NHL? Even 5'9 defensemen are a thing now, with guys like Krug, Spurgeon, etc. Hell, Hughes went 7th overall and he's about the same size

That quote really doesn’t come off well, especially since there are literally NHlers of around that size and they’re becoming more common....

Again, that’s not to imply this kid is going to be an NHLer, but let’s find something else to focus on l

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
One thing is for sure, I much prefer a producing overager like Hollowell over a fridge that can't pass like Middleton.

We'll see how he progresses next season, which could very well be on the Marlies.

Both Hollowell and Durzi are AHL eligible aren't they?

Mar 12, 2009
I guess I just don't get why the opinion of the independent scout that has him ND is valid, while the opinions of scouts that had him high are not. The black book guys are really good, but their views aren't definitive in my eyes. Durzi I don't mind too much, Hollowell I don't really like that high based on what I've seen.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Wanted to log in so I could give my two cents on this one and those saying they picked him because he played for the Soo. First of all, the Soo had a historically good season this year so it makes sense they're going to have a lot of good players drafted. Second, Mac Hollowell was rated extremely high within OHL circles. One of the best defensemen in the entire OHL this year and his underlying analytics are terrific.

This is the fourth round. You're lucky if a player drafted here even plays an NHL game. You're not going to find a player that has no flaws or question marks at this stage. Mac's question mark in translating to the NHL is purely his size. So with that being said, if he pans out he pans out, if he doesn't he doesn't. He is a really good player though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad