Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 2nd (Via OTT) (#59 OA) - Eemeli Rasanen - 6'7" 209lbs RHD - Kingston (OHL)

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I wonder who made the calls for these two 2nd rounders. Korshkov and Rasanen

Completely wasted as far as I am concerned. I understand 2017 wasn't very strong but 2016 was decent

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I am not sure to be honest but I'm certain they'll do what it takes to retain his rights. He might have struggled in the CHL when he shouldn't have but I think his upside is still something you want to make sure you keep rights of.
For sure you want to keep the rights. Way too early to throw up your hands and say "oh well."

There may be some way to get it done. We have the guys who wrote the rules. I'm sure they aren't going to be caught off guard.
Who knows, maybe they extended an offer the day before the KHL contract was signed simply to extend the rights.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Something doesn't quite add up if he's allowed to just walk without retaining his rights...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
For sure you want to keep the rights. Way too early to throw up your hands and say "oh well."

There may be some way to get it done. We have the guys who wrote the rules. I'm sure they aren't going to be caught off guard.
Who knows, maybe they extended an offer the day before the KHL contract was signed simply to extend the rights.

These things happen often. If he shows enough potential the Leafs will make sure to keep his rights. I'm not even worried about that.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yikes...who takes the blame for this one.
Not sure but we are definitely going to see if there was a difference in draft philosophy between Hunter and Dubas moving forward. We've used 2nd round picks on Korshkov,Rasanen,etc. Which is fine if you are going for project picks that likely may not play in your backyard moving forward. But it would be nice to have some higher end center prospects or another Dermott able to progress here through the AHL/ECHL.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
This should probably be Stickied somewhere.

Who can play where… and why

So where does the AHL’s oft-cited “20-year-old player rule” come in?
This rule is based on the NHL and CHL Agreement, which states a signed player aged 18 or 19 who was claimed from a CHL club and is not retained by the NHL club, must be assigned to the CHL junior club whom he last played for or owes a contractual obligation

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The kid who signed the deal?

Lol not how that works.

Not sure but we are definitely going to see if there was a difference in draft philosophy between Hunter and Dubas moving forward. We've used 2nd round picks on Korshkov,Rasanen,etc. Which is fine if you are going for project picks that likely may not play in your backyard moving forward. But it would be nice to have some higher end center prospects or another Dermott able to progress here through the AHL/ECHL.

Yeah, you'd certainly like to be smarter with your second round picks. That said, you also want to swing for the fences with higher ceiling guys. The Risk of the pick not signing, and\or choosing to play in Europe should be factored into the analysis.

I wonder who made the calls for these two 2nd rounders. Korshkov and Rasanen

Completely wasted as far as I am concerned. I understand 2017 wasn't very strong but 2016 was decent

Exactly my question.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Rasanen going over to the KHL extends his rights by 1 year.

Let him go develop in a pro league near his home.

Reactions: Liminality

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Rasanen going over to the KHL extends his rights by 1 year.

Let him go develop in a pro league near his home.

Actually by two years (additional, 3 more years total)if we made the Bonafide offer, which we almost certainly did.

Whole lot of chicken littling in this thread.

We gave both Middleton and Mattinen BO's. It's not the kind of offer that you hear about, every single prospect drafted out of the CHL whose rights were held for the 2nd year received one. It's just that they never take them because they're for ELC minimum.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
It's amazing how some people have the innate ability to form such definitive conclusions based on very little information.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Right now you and most of the board are assuming he's floating in the wind.

Similarly, you are assuming this was somehow a planned action by the individual who's call it was to draft him.

I imagine from a player development standpoint, one would far prefer a situation where they control the development of a second round pick rather than be in a situation where they have no control whatsoever.

Now you have a second round would-be asset, locked in to play in the KHL for two years, where you have no say on what he is eating, how he is training, his ice time, etc. He's most certainly floating in the wind. Which would be fine, for a 5th or 6th round pick. Not for a 2nd.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Similarly, you are assuming this was somehow a planned action by the individual who's call it was to draft him.

I imagine from a player development standpoint, one would far prefer a situation where they control the development of a second round pick rather than be in a situation where they have no control whatsoever.

Now you have a second round would-be asset, locked in to play in the KHL for two years, where you have no say on what he is eating, how he is training, his ice time, etc. He's most certainly floating in the wind. Which would be fine, for a 5th or 6th round pick. Not for a 2nd.
The only assumption I've made is that Rasanen chose to sign. Seems logical to me.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Lol he helped us out as he extended our assessment window on him which allowes him to development before we have to make a decision. He is staying around to the end of the Marlies playoffs and this means that he has not closed the door on his career with the Leafs.

How people can turn a positive into a negative is funny. He had to be either a Leaf next year or on Kingston’s roster and he chose to play pro hockey. As he was not going to play for the Leafs.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The kid was homesick and now is playing for Jokerit. It actually makes a lot of sense because he wasn't projected to play in the NHL right away. Its a good place for him to develop. I didn't think his game was at that level yet but they work their kids in slowly.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Lol he helped us out as he extended our assessment window on him which allowes him to development before we have to make a decision. He is staying around to the end of the Marlies playoffs and this means that he has not closed the door on his career with the Leafs.

How people can turn a positive into a negative is funny. He had to be either a Leaf next year or on Kingston’s roster and he chose to play pro hockey. As he was not going to play for the Leafs.

Yeah. It's a better development league for him.

Not too mention, it looks like a lot of his issues from this past season was because he was homesick, so him being able to go back to his home country, play pro hockey, and extend his rights from June 2019 to June 2020.

Not sure how this can be a negative, as you said

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Anyone know how he will rank of the depth chart for Jokerit?

Third pairing. They have Lepistö, Lauridsen and Kivistö ahead of him, and now they acquired Lööv, so I guess that's the top 4 to start the season. But the rest of their D corps consists of three youngsters (including Räsänen) and, well, garbage.

I'm quite confident that he will get regular icetime in third pairing and possibly some looks in PP2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad