Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 2nd (Via OTT) (#59 OA) - Eemeli Rasanen - 6'7" 209lbs RHD - Kingston (OHL)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hopefully this gives him the time/space to sort out his game/development.

Will be much closer to his family, which seemed to be a big problem for him this past season

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Eemeli went to KHL Jokerit. Great move for him IMO

I think so too. He had another year of junior, so being in the KHL is better.
Grundstrom had three years in the SHL, and it served him well. Maybe being in the KHL will make him desire the NHL and benefits of North American pro hockey.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Anyone know if the Leafs offered him a deal before he signed?
If not, I think it will effect Toronto's ownership of his rights.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Leafs did make a "qualifying offer" so as a result, the Leafs still hold his till 2021, if he stays in Europe. Gee, I hope the Leafs know of signing otherwise it shows a real divide between the Leafs and the player. Hey playing in Finland in the KHL can certainly be OK for his development, maybe even better than another year of junior.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I have no problem with a young guy developing their game in the KHL or a European club team.

Hopefully in a few years this guy and Korshkov will be ready to step right in and make an impact

member 300185

Or Martin Marincin. Or #HalGill
Why Hall Gill? Are you referring to him being good or being bad? Gill had 2 or 3 terrible seasons, but he has also had many many seasons of being very good with one being an allstar....or nominated. I cant remember

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Jokerit looks a great move as long as he can get decent icetime and it saves an SPC slot until 2021.

Perennial top club in the KHL so outside of the NHL its the absolute highest level he could be playing and will be with fellow Finns.

Reactions: supermann_98

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Third pairing. They have Lepistö, Lauridsen and Kivistö ahead of him, and now they acquired Lööv, so I guess that's the top 4 to start the season. But the rest of their D corps consists of three youngsters (including Räsänen) and, well, garbage.

I'm quite confident that he will get regular icetime in third pairing and possibly some looks in PP2.

I think this is a big point. He's not going to some Russian team where they are known for not giving young guys ice time. Jokerit has shown they are not afraid to play a teenager if that player will help them win (ex. Tolvanen). He'll most certainly have to earn his ice time, but it's not like he will be given no leash for mistakes.

Treasure Island

Mar 24, 2014
Kingston
I think one of the main reasons he left Kingston was his lack of quality icetime.
Kingston made a trade last season and brought in Day.
After this trade Day played all the power plays and penalty kills.
Ras. Was left on the bench.
Prior to The arrival of Day he was on the ice.

Reactions: cookie

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Fourteen minutes a game in the KHL is worth more than 22 minutes in the OHL for his development. Didn't hurt Grundstrom playing the SHL as opposed to a year in junior or a year or two in the AHL.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I personally like this move. Dont get all the folks complaining and calling him a bust and that we blew a 2nd rounder on him. We have the absolute worst fans who have 0 patience. 2 years in the KHL could be exactly what Rasanen needs to develop into a pro hockey player to compete at NHL level. And if he doesn't ever make it, I wouldn't say we wasted a pick on him. Roughly 40% of second round picks in the last 10 years have played 50+ NHL games. So it's a coin flip anyways.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Fourteen minutes a game in the KHL is worth more than 22 minutes in the OHL for his development. Didn't hurt Grundstrom playing the SHL as opposed to a year in junior or a year or two in the AHL.

Far more I'd say. You want to see your 6' 7" players playing against men, not boys, in order to determin if they have NHL potential or not.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I personally think this is a solid move for Rasanen. He's 19. He's going to be playing against men.

He came to Canada when he was 17. He mentioned feeling homesick this year.

He gets to go back to Finland. Hopefully makes the World Junior team this year. Hopefully in 2 years time we have a polished giant of a defenceman that can slide into our bottom pair on an ELC.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Hopefully he comes back to the marlies next season ala Grunstrum to join them for the playoffs. Not too worried about this overall, still have hopes he can make our top 6 one day.

Long term, we probably have 2-4 spots spoken for between reilly, dermott, lilly, borgman and zaitsev cause of that contract. Neilsen definitely took a step back, but can possibly bounce back too.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Rasanen

Age 17 (OHL): 0.59ppg
Age 18 (OHL): 0.54ppg
Age 19 (OHL): ???

Dermott

Age 17 (OHL): 0.43ppg
Age 18 (OHL): 0.74ppg
Age 19 (OHL): 0.84ppg

Carlo

Age 17 (WHL): 0.18ppg
Age 18 (WHL): 0.40ppg
Age 19 (WHL): 0.52ppg

Oleksiak

Age 17 (USHL): 0.26ppg
Age 18 (NCAA): 0.34ppg
Age 19 (OHL): 0.54ppg

Add Shea Weber 18, 32, 41pts in the Dub.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The nice thing about the KHL is that he'll be defending against small skilled pro forwards often instead of bullying grinders in the AHL with his size. We already know he can hit and has an effective game on the wall, now it's time to see if he can use his reach to disrupt high end skaters or if his footwork will get abused.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Leafs did make a "qualifying offer" so as a result, the Leafs still hold his till 2021, if he stays in Europe. Gee, I hope the Leafs know of signing otherwise it shows a real divide between the Leafs and the player. Hey playing in Finland in the KHL can certainly be OK for his development, maybe even better than another year of junior.
I'm assuming you're being sarcastic with this post but it's kind of unclear.
Anyway, I didn't see anything in the past year that indicated that they extended him a QO so I was curious about the logistics.
And I agree, if he greatest weakness is mobility, it makes sense for him to be on the big ice to help remedy it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I personally like this move. Dont get all the folks complaining and calling him a bust and that we blew a 2nd rounder on him. We have the absolute worst fans who have 0 patience. 2 years in the KHL could be exactly what Rasanen needs to develop into a pro hockey player to compete at NHL level. And if he doesn't ever make it, I wouldn't say we wasted a pick on him. Roughly 40% of second round picks in the last 10 years have played 50+ NHL games. So it's a coin flip anyways.
You basically get an NHLer of some value out of 1 in 5 second round picks. As a bunch of those guys who cross the 50 threshold are just bottom pairing or 4th liners that you can find an equivalent of on waivers.

Reactions: Kiwi

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Part of it is impatience and part of it is the ongoing effort by some posters to smear Hunter. I'm glad Dubas is the GM but that doesn't mean we need to pick apart everything Hunter was involved in either.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I'm assuming you're being sarcastic with this post but it's kind of unclear.
Anyway, I didn't see anything in the past year that indicated that they extended him a QO so I was curious about the logistics.
And I agree, if he greatest weakness is mobility, it makes sense for him to be on the big ice to help remedy it.

The Leafs had to make a "bonafide offer" to him to keep his NHL rights. Apparent they had, though the player has every right not to sign it. It's almost like giving a qualifying offer to a RFA. If a team doesn't make a QO, they lose rights to the player.
But going to Europe the Leafs have his NHL rights extended to June 2021 as I understand it.
I just thought it would be good the Leafs were both informed on his decision to play in the KHL.
Seems like it could be a good move for all parties. Worked well for Grunstrom to play in the SHL instead of junior and/or AHL.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

upload_2018-5-28_18-29-23.png

I doubt that.

Reactions: LeafChief

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
It's amazing how some people have the innate ability to form such definitive conclusions based on very little information.

Ya really. Judging by the comments in here you'd think we lost him. He's just playing in a different league and against men so it could be beneficial to his development. I dont see the downside here because we still own his rights.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Ya really. Judging by the comments in here you'd think we lost him. He's just playing in a different league and against men so it could be beneficial to his development. I dont see the downside here because we still own his rights.
I don't see any downside to it if he continue to retain his rights.

If anything, this is much better than returning to the OHL.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad