Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 2nd (Via OTT) (#59 OA) - Eemeli Rasanen - 6'7" 209lbs RHD - Kingston (OHL)

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
Hunter has always botched these 6'5"+ D-Man picks.

Just look at history, if you're going to average less than .5PPG in the CHL there's a 99% chance you're not going to make the NHL.

Even Jamie Oleksiak who has never had more than 17 points in a season scored 21 points in 28 games at the OHL level.

Yeah it would be nice to hit a diamond in the rough and get a Chara, but that's like spending 2/7ths of your paycheque on lottery tickets hoping you'll strike it rich.

Why are points the dominating metric?
I've only seen Rasanen a few times, but everyone and their brother knows we need a defenseman who's effective at cutting down plays with his reach and physicality.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Why are points the dominating metric?
I've only seen Rasanen a few times, but everyone and their brother knows we need a defenseman who's effective at cutting down plays with his reach and physicality.

Playing the minutes that a 18/19 year old (especially one who's already developed physically) should be getting in the CHL, you should be getting close to .5 PPG just for existing if you're any good at driving play. Usually if you're drastically below .5 PPG, something is terribly terribly wrong with a part of your game. Maybe the player is good at part of defense, say clearing the crease, but has a bad first pass and ends up having to defend 3rd, 4th, 5th attempts off failed clears. Maybe the skating/puck skills are horribly lacking and it lets the other team focus all their dump ins + forechecking on the other D.

Obviously there's exceptions and I think Rasanen might be one of them. His PP time dropped with the new additions on D, his even strength points per game has improved. He doesn't have bad feet like Nielsen and has pretty good top end speed to go with his good shot and hands. Nothing strikes you as an obvious reason he won't be successful at higher levels so far.

Reactions: Northernguy10

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
If Rasanen becomes a huge hulking, mean, big minute top 4 RHD I'll be very happy. He's exactly what every team needs and especially the Leafs. If both Liljegren and Rasanen hit their potential a long with Dermott and Rielly that's the making of a Stanley Cup winning Dcore. Especially with Zaitsev now in your bottom pair.

I would say that it isn't even imperative that he be a regular #4 RHD.

If he becomes a huge, hulking, mean, defensively responsible shutdown guy - I'll be very happy.

I'd be happy if he can swing into the #4 spot or higher in games where they're defending the lead but swing into 5/6 spot when they're chasing a lead. This teams really needs to be more intimidating in regards to their defense. Skaters should be a little more weary when carrying the puck.

I'd wait to see what Underhill does with Rasanen though. She worked magic on Gautier.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
worth drafting a 2nd round big defenseman and hoping he turns out because if he does your gonna be set for a long time on defense
I have no problem with this selection at all. But this is why having an extra 2nd or 3rd on a yearly basis is very important IMO. It gives you the opportunity to take a chance like this while still pulling in another player (who might be viewed as a safer pick). Like getting a Point in the 3rd round.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I have no problem with this selection at all. But this is why having an extra 2nd or 3rd on a yearly basis is very important IMO. It gives you the opportunity to take a chance like this while still pulling in another player (who might be viewed as a safer pick). Like getting a Point in the 3rd round.

Exactly the point. Point is precisely the reason or any of the star defenders that came out of round 2... Dermott looks pretty nice right now.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The predictability of where top D come from, highlights why we need to keep our picks, and obtain more, on a regular basis. More Norris nominated D, are picked outside of the lottery spots, than inside, and often are 2nd and 3rd rounders. The more picks you have, the better your chance that something good will happen.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Agree with previous two posters. For a team with a supposed scouting wizard, we should be able to do what the top development teams do and add tons of value in the second and late first.

It'll be interesting to see what happens there going forward, if Hunter stays around or is chosen as GM. I've seen people hint that Lou was involved in our drafting in the same way as most GMs are. That may not sound weird except Hunter was supposed to run the drafting. That's a huge part of his appeal.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't see any issue with throwing darts after the 2nd round on a goalie and a big D with some tools every year. You will hit eventually and most of those picked after the 2nd round never sniff the NHL.

If they found someone they really liked I don't see the issue with taking them in the 2nd half of the 2nd round. We can't keep drafting skilled wingers forever just because they likely are NHLers. There are other needs that can only be filled through drafting, and drafting is all about taking risks.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I don't see any issue with throwing darts after the 2nd round on a goalie and a big D with some tools every year. You will hit eventually and most of those picked after the 2nd round never sniff the NHL.

If they found someone they really liked I don't see the issue with taking them in the 2nd half of the 2nd round. We can't keep drafting skilled wingers forever just because they likely are NHLers. There are other needs that can only be filled through drafting, and drafting is all about taking risks.
I agree. More Dermott's & Johnsson's less Biggs' & Percy's

Reactions: Boutette

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Funny how big guys are always comparing tall guys to Chara. Remember Chara was a 3rd round pick, so scouts weren't impressed by his upside.
I remember seeing Morin now of the Flyers AHL team and I thought he looked like Chara in junior. A # 1 pick, still not sure if he's NHLer.
Rasanen still has plenty of time to develop as an NHLer....or not.
Funny how good Nielsen looked a year ago with the Marlies and not seems to regressed into almost a non NHL prospect.
Liljegren has looked really good lately IMO. And Borgman looked like a NHLer with the Leafs. So those two guys are really slotted in to be Leafs in the near future.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I wonder how this works with his draft rights... NHL teams retain draft rights of CHL players for two years...

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I totally get this. 2 years in the OHL is enough time. Time for a further challenge him playing against men. The bigger ice is a greater challenge to the areas where he'll need the most growth.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Interesting move. Could be very ood for his development.

He became homesick this year. Not sure how much of an opportunity he would have gotten on the Marlies next year. He can go home and grow/mature and come back in 2 years.

Anyone know how he will rank of the depth chart for Jokerit?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I thought he had another junior year. So he's taking a junior year to play pro plus a "Marlie" year to in Europe. Didn't hurt Grundstrom playing in the SHL for three years. Certainly there is spot for him for the Leafs in 20/21 or 21/22 if he's NHL good.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Interesting move. Could be very ood for his development.

He became homesick this year. Not sure how much of an opportunity he would have gotten on the Marlies next year. He can go home and grow/mature and come back in 2 years.

Anyone know how he will rank of the depth chart for Jokerit?
Not eligible to play for the Marlies next season.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Was he on loan from Finland to Kingston or was he straight property of Kingston?

I believe if it was a loan situation he would be Marlies eligible. I could be wrong.
As I understand it, it's the league you are drafted from. Not your passport.

I'm on vacation and not really doing much other than hanging out at the pool. Later in the day I'll see if I can find the rules and will post. If someone hasn't already.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
As I understand it, it's the league you are drafted from. Not your passport.

I'm on vacation and not really doing much other than hanging out at the pool. Later in the day I'll see if I can find the rules and will post. If someone hasn't already.
I don't believe it's as straightforward as that.

Alex Nylander for example was drafted out of the OHL but he was on loan to the Steelheads so technically he was drafted out of Sweden, allowing him to join the AHL earlier than normal.

Enjoy the pool!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't recall them extending an offer. Which means we're likely gonna lose his rights.

Unless there's an out clause.

I am not sure to be honest but I'm certain they'll do what it takes to retain his rights. He might have struggled in the CHL when he shouldn't have but I think his upside is still something you want to make sure you keep rights of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad