The Star: Leafs’ Kessel not hot on Spott’s breakout strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Anyone watch Kessel's press scrum? Does anyone here really believe the Leafs can win a Stanley Cup if he's one of our "leaders" and best player?

He seems like pretty much the last person I would want younger players on my team to personify. Doesn't talk hockey in the off-season. Doesn't play hockey in the off-season. Judging from pictures, he's not the most in-shape hockey player in the league. Pretty terrible in the media. Plays soft and is not defensively responsible...

But he scores goals, but is that enough? He's tied to a large contract, for a long period of time.

If I were the Leafs I would deal him the second I received a pretty decent offer.

People used to say similar things about Steve Yzerman.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
This would certainly explain Lieweke's "Character on the team" comments a couple of weeks ago.

I am pretty sure this article is true.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
People used to say similar things about Steve Yzerman.

Did you honestly just compare Kessel to Yzerman?

The+Wire+-+Bunk+Moreland+Shaking+Head.gif

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He seems like pretty much the last person I would want younger players on my team to personify. Doesn't talk hockey in the off-season. Doesn't play hockey in the off-season.

gB2He.gif

You're being naive if you think he's in the minority of players who choose to avoid hockey all together during the offseason. Especially in a heated market like toronto. Please. Of all the stuff I've read today, this takes the cake.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This would certainly explain Lieweke's "Character on the team" comments a couple of weeks ago.

I am pretty sure this article is true.

Not if you've read the thread.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lol.

Which post in particular should I read that would make me change my stance?

While this thread was hilarious, like a movie it's never as funny the 2nd time.
You're on your own, I'm not reading back through it.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Did you honestly just compare Kessel to Yzerman?

The+Wire+-+Bunk+Moreland+Shaking+Head.gif

No, he didn't. Putting two names beside each other is not a comparison, he's using yzerman as an example to set precedence that just because a media tries to label a player a certain way, does not make it true.

Steve y had a bad rep based on media reports and is now one of the most revered leaders in NHL history, providing an example that the media doesn't always know what they are talking about.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
While this thread was hilarious, like a movie it's never as funny the 2nd time.
You're on your own, I'm not reading back through it.

Ahhhhh, so, you were being sarcastic and you agree with my OP? :P

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
We might have to trade Kessel and Phaneuf, too much baggage with those two. Maybe one of those days Kessel will wake up, and Phaneuf can get a brain transplant.

God dammit. Do what you're told Kessel.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
2nd in points and 4th in goals in the past 3 years without missing a game while being one of the fastest players in the league with average defense. All this while being 15 pounds overweight and skating around 10 times by this point (assuming) the past 3 years.

Just imagine if he took off ice conditioning seriously? How fast would he be then?

Also, Kessel saying he "doesn't talk hockey in summer" rubbed me the wrong way. You get 8 million bucks a year to play hockey, talking about it won't kill you.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Just imagine if he took off ice conditioning seriously? How fast would he be then?

Also, Kessel saying he "doesn't talk hockey in summer" rubbed me the wrong way. You get 8 million bucks a year to play hockey, talking about it won't kill you.

What? Hockey's his job. He does it 9 months a year. So he likes to play golf in the offseason, has a few hobbies, and enjoys other things in his free time. Big deal.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
What? Hockey's his job. He does it 9 months a year. So he likes to play golf in the offseason, has a few hobbies, and enjoys other things in his free time. Big deal.

**** that. These people are demi-gods, created by our own fandom and millions of our collective dollars.

Mother ****er can talk hockey in the summer, he barely talks it in the winter..

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Kessel is probably the most laid-back easygoing hockey player there is. These reports are so full of **** it's not even funny.

Kessel would never disrespect a coach like Spot. He might voice his disagreement with him in a professional manor but that's just healthy discussion. Kessel is a true professional. Feshuk, not so much.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
**** that. These people are demi-gods, created by our own fandom and millions of our collective dollars.

They are human beings.

I love my job, but I hate talking about it when I'm off work, can't imagine that being multiplied a thousandfold, daily, with cameras bright lights and these moron Toronto reports trying to twist every word into Armageddon

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

You know we don't pay them right? Just because you go see a game, buy a jersey or watch a game at home on tv doesn't mean you pay their salary. Kessel is obviously painfully shy, he's not an extrovert and really doesn't have to be, especially not during the off season when he's essentially on vacation.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
You know we don't pay them right? Just because you go see a game, buy a jersey or watch a game at home on tv doesn't mean you pay their salary. Kessel is obviously painfully shy, he's not an extrovert and really doesn't have to be, especially not during the off season when he's essentially on vacation.

Yeah, I live social anxiety, I know what it is. I'm also not being paid 8 million by the most lucrative franchise in the game.

If he has actual issues, fine. Just admit it, or take a benzo, or whatever.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Why do we care if he talks at all?

I want him to put pucks in the net, not give interviews.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Fans don't pay them. The money magically appears.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Fans don't pay them. The money magically appears.

There's this new, hip thing all the companies are trying now. They call it "advertising". I hear it makes them money, like on the interwebs and the television and stuff. I don't know if it will work, since who used the Internet? Rich people probably.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

hrmm, I wonder what would happen if all seats went empty and TVs black.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
There's this new, hip thing all the companies are trying now. They call it "advertising". I hear it makes them money, like on the interwebs and the television and stuff. I don't know if it will work, since who used the Internet? Rich people probably.

I would love to see that social experiment tried actually.

TVs to black and 82 games of completely empty seats.

I wonder if the interweb would carry it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad