Leaf Goalies

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Unless they're something really special, young goalies on a young developing team, almost always take a confidence hit. And the one thing that's a goalie killer, it's lack of confidence. Some never recover from it. I hope, for Reimers sake, the Leafs get some veteran help. He's no Brodeur, but he's not a jobber either. Guy is 23, he's still all potential. We need Giggy back!!! :sarcasm:

James Reimer is actually 25, so he isn't quite the raw rookie with no development time under his belt that we'd like to pretend he is. Even though he doesn't have a ton of experience in the NHL, Scrivens is actually not that young at all. He's 27, and definitely at an age where you kind of know what you have.

I'll put it another way. Yes, young goalies struggle, but does anyone have an example of teams who developed two young goalies at once and watched them struggle for years only to have one emerge as a legitimate superstar goalie?

-There was Washington with Varlamov, Neuvirth and Holtby. None of those guys have grown appreciably as legit starters.

-I guess Quick emerged in LA over Bernier.

-Halak and Price in Montreal both developed well.

I don't know, I don't think time is necessarily the cure all here in terms of developing a star goalie. I just don't think Reimer and Scrivens have that potential.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Our goaltending hasn't been the problem this year.

Both are goalies are above. 910 Save % and their both very cheap, very young by goalie standard and have room to grow.

Goaltending hasn't been the issue some people are making it out to be.

How many 4 or 5 goal games has this team given up in the last eight? Don't look at rosy stats and make assumptions. Our goaltending is average at best-if that! Reimer had the game on his hand last night let it get away with his poor glove hand. The first goal was bad. I don't want to go on anymore about him. He needs to play better and he hasn't.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
How many 4 or 5 goal games has this team given up in the last eight? Don't look at rosy stats and make assumptions. Our goaltending is average at best-if that! Reimer had the game on his hand last night let it get away with his poor glove hand. The first goal was bad. I don't want to go on anymore about him. He needs to play better and he hasn't.

He looks behind him every time the puck hits him, he has no confidence especially in the shoot outs.

NIKO G

TWITTER: @NJG_ITA
Jul 17, 2009
This experiment is growing tire-some, We need a proven veteran goalie ASAP,
Even if that mean's trading Reimer in a package or straight up for one.

People make a big deal and claim Reimer is are number one and the best goalie we have cause he came in one season and played well...
But really theirs no difference between Reimer or Scrivens other then the fact Reimer has got to play more. There both the same kind of goalies.... Perfect back-ups, nothing more, nothingless. and people need to stop fooling themselves and setting yourself up for a failure because Reimer & Scrivens will never be starting goalie(s) in the NHL.

And with that being said I'm pretty sure It's clear which goalie needs to go and that's James Reimer. He and Scrivens are both just as good & inconsistent as each other, but a least Scrivens doesn't have all the leg and groin problems Reimer has, so it makes more sense to move Reimer instead of Scrivens.

Once we have a veteran goalie i think Scrivens will make a very good back-up goalie.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I dont think that is is impossible for reimer to become a number one goalie in the NHL, the problem is he is not there yet. The question is is it worth our missing the playoffs for another couple of years while he gets the experience to become one.

If its one thing i have criticized Burke/Nonis is the last two years we have went with not one but TWO unproven goalies. Cant win consistently like this.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
If you guys think Regier, or any GM of the Sabres moving forward, would trade Miller to a divisional rival, you must be smoking some awesome crack.

It's not completely out of the question imo. Trading Miller would signify a rebuild in Buffalo, They're struggling as it is and the team as real no direction it seems. With that being said, I don't think Miller would come cheaply, probably something like 1st+Reimer+Finn.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

We also need a 1st line center and a top pairing dman.

A top goalie will take lots of cap space and I still think the bigger issue is the quantity of quality chances that are team has been giving up lately.

Our goalies have been given us a chance to win almost every night. People are acting like Miller, Bryz, Fleury, Luongo, Elliott, etc. don't ever have terrible nights.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
James Reimer is actually 25, so he isn't quite the raw rookie with no development time under his belt that we'd like to pretend he is. Even though he doesn't have a ton of experience in the NHL, Scrivens is actually not that young at all. He's 27, and definitely at an age where you kind of know what you have.

I'll put it another way. Yes, young goalies struggle, but does anyone have an example of teams who developed two young goalies at once and watched them struggle for years only to have one emerge as a legitimate superstar goalie?

-There was Washington with Varlamov, Neuvirth and Holtby. None of those guys have grown appreciably as legit starters.

-I guess Quick emerged in LA over Bernier.

-Halak and Price in Montreal both developed well.

I don't know, I don't think time is necessarily the cure all here in terms of developing a star goalie. I just don't think Reimer and Scrivens have that potential.

To a certain extent Niemi (29) and Crawford (28) in Chicago.

Lehtonen and Pavelec with the Trashers.

Nabokov, Toskala and Kipper in San Jose.

Most goalie don't reach their primes till their late 20s so Reimer at 25 is still young. It is far to early to give up on Reimer.

I don't think Reimer will ever be a top 10 tender but their is no reason he can't be an average starter like Howard, Crawford, Niemi.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I don't know why people want to change up our goaltending, because the DEFENSE is playing bad. During this recent skid, most of the goals scored against us were the result of bad plays by the defensemen that led to a goal.

I still think Reimer is our #1 of the future. People seem to be forgetting that he is
11-4-3. Most of our losses have come from Scrivens, who is 6-8-0. People also seem to be forgetting how good he was playing before he got injured. You can't control injuries, most of them are accidents.

The only thing I would change is our backup. Scrivens is just not good enough to be a backup. Ever since that 3-2 loss to Ottawa a month ago, I haven't been able to trust Scrivens to win games. We need a 30+ year old backup that can post a record like Reimer is now. If we have a young guy as our backup, it'll be like the situation in LA with Quick and Bernier.

Last edited:

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Reimer's problem is he is still hung over from his concussion.Watch him during a game closely.His peripheral vision is not up to par.He probably doesn't even realize it.

I had a concussion a few years ago.My peripheral vision was terrible,almost got into a few car accidents and almost ran over a few people.I didn't even know there was anything wrong until I put one and one together because of the bad driving.Took a couple of years to get back to normal.

Things that are done by using your peripheral vision are not conciously thought about and your brain does them automatically.Thereby bypassing the thinking process and eliminating a split second of reaction time.That's why he is having a problem with his 5 hole,has to look down,then react.No different than a skater playing with his head down.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We can't do that one.

grabo + scriv for bobby luu.

With Vancouver unable to make the playoffs with Luongo and no one willing to take his stupid contract the Canucks may have to buy him out.The price for GM's to even look at Luongo is quite high.In essence he is worthless with that contract,so we must close the book on it and move on now. But we can look at Bozak for Scheider and Kessler maybe,depends what happens when the cap goes to $64 million.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I know we're a young team and there's going to be a lot of growing pains the next few years, but I don't know if the goaltending position is one we can develop in house at this point. I think we all know what we have in Wregget and Bester, and I don't think it's worth the wait because neither of them are going to be great starters in this league. It's simply not worth it to put this much developmental time into two fairly marginal talents. We need to cut the cord with one of them and get a veteran starter or roll the dice with another young goalie from elsewhere, possibly an Anton Khudobin as a free agent from Boston.

Isn't Reimer one of the youngest starters in the league? How can we possibly know exactly what we have. Keep jerkin that kneeee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad