Leaf Goalies

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The cost to acquire Ryan Miller will never be lower than it is now. I think Nonis should pounce on the opportunity. If Miller regains his form down the stretch, which I think is probable with a change of scenery and meaningful games, Nonis can negotiate a contract extension prior to July 1st.

JMcLeaf

The cost to acquire Ryan Miller will never be lower than it is now. I think Nonis should pounce on the opportunity. If Miller regains his form down the stretch, which I think is probable with a change of scenery and meaningful games, Nonis can negotiate a contract extension prior to July 1st.

I'm not saying Miller won't be moved, but I highly doubt he'll be moved to a division rival unless that team pays a steep price

Jonas Hiller could be an option in the offseason

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm not saying Miller won't be moved, but I highly doubt he'll be moved to a division rival unless that team pays a steep price.

True, but there isn't a huge market of buyers out there for a goaltender at the moment. I think the Leafs might be able to outbid a couple of other teams without mortgaging the future, and Miller is a low risk proposition as a pending UFA. If he regains his form down the stretch, Nonis can try to sign him to a contract extension prior to July 1st.

In my opinion, it's a much more attractive proposition than Luongo given all of the variables involved.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Trading for Miller is *** backwards. The guy is a whiner and a little puke and not the guy I would want on that team. He can go on about Kaletta all he wants but they are made of the same cloth.

This team needs a guy with the same makeup as Tim Thomas. A guy that plays his heart out and couldn't give a **** of what people have to say about him. Finding that guy is harder than you think.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Tim Thomas has caused much more controversy in the locker room with Boston than Miller has in Buffalo.

In any event, Thomas is in defacto retirement, and Miller is still capable of carrying a team on his back.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Tim Thomas has caused much more controversy in the locker room with Boston than Miller has in Buffalo.

In any event, Thomas is in defacto retirement, and Miller is still capable of carrying a team on his back.

Thomas created crap after he won a cup because he was tired of all the crap. I was talking of the makeup of the individual and not so much the person. Someone who doesn't give a crap about the media.

You can talk about Miller all you want about carrying a team on his back. Since the Olympics he has gone backwards and Thomas has a cup, Miller all he does is whine.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Miller has called out his teammates at times in Buffalo, but he had a point every time.

I think he would be rejuvenated in a market like T.O. and become our best goaltender since Belfour without question.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
He's a mediocre goaltender at his best. Anyone who hasn't noticed his play the last while is blind.

I have never seen a goalie look so many times behind him after the opposition takes a shot lol.

That shootout was crazy. He looked back on at least 3 of those shots. shaaakkyyy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I have never seen a goalie look so many times behind him after the opposition takes a shot lol.

That shootout was crazy. He looked back on at least 3 of those shots. shaaakkyyy.
Wait for summer and get mike smith or go for bernier. Bernier is someone I am high on. I'd go 2nd, 6th next year and scrivens

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
NOT LUONGO Still a great goalie but when he retires he is going to really hurt that team. Not worth any trade, would not take even if Vancouver gives him to us for free. No joke. Would rather lose and build to be better in future where as Luongo is in TO worst interest long term.

Totally agree with this. Can't be repeated enough as some including most of the Media keep bringing up this possibility like an itch that needs to be constantly scratched.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Our goaltending hasn't been the problem this year.

Both are goalies are above. 910 Save % and their both very cheap, very young by goalie standard and have room to grow.

Goaltending hasn't been the issue some people are making it out to be.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

He has another year left on his deal.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Sure, you asked for it. Since returning from injury:

March 21: 4 goals against, blew a two goal lead to lose in a shootout
March 20: 2 goals against Tampa in the third period
March 16: 0 goals against, in relief of Scrivens
March 12: 4 goals against, got pulled at home in Manitoba
March 9: 4 goals against, spotted Pittsburgh a 4-1 lead
March 6: 4 goals against, almost blew the lead against Ottawa in the third
March 4: 2 goals against, beat New Jersey
February 28: 4 goals against, blew a two goal lead against the Islanders

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8473503&season=20122013&view=log

And don't give me the injury excuse. If he's coming back and he's terrible, he should be benched. Which gives credence to the notion that a goalie who can play (not Scrivens) can fill in when he's struggling and not contributing to the team.

What about the team defence falling apart in front of him?

Systems time and time again makes goalies look better then they are. Just ask Mason under Hitchcock. Bryz or Smith for Phoenix. Or on the flipside Bryz in Philly or Fleury in Pitts.

Toronto still has a lot of trouble eating up minutes in the other teams zone by cycling the puck which means more time/chances in our zone plus our team still has a low defensive IQ.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Our goaltending hasn't been the problem this year.

Both are goalies are above. 910 Save % and their both very cheap, very young by goalie standard and have room to grow.

Goaltending hasn't been the issue some people are making it out to be.

Stats don't tell the entire story.

Can anyone honestly state that either Reimer or Scrivens inspire confidence in their ability to shut the door in a close game with the Leafs protecting a lead? Even a 2 or 3 goal lead?

It's not all on the players. Teams that are behind in a game will always make a run and inevitably, the onus is on the goaltender to make crucial stops.

I haven't seen that ability in Reimer or Scrivens on a remotely consistent basis.

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

How much is low?

Kessel, or Kadri, or Phaneuf straight up?

I can't see us getting Miller for anything less than one of our top 3 players, a prospect, and a 1st round pick. Too high in my opinion.

zapy

Aug 26, 2010
Toronto, Richmond Hi
Looking back I'm just really glad we didn't do that Kadri+Gardiner whatever package for Luongo. No thank you! Our goalies havent been that bad. Reimer has made a few mistakes the last games but he's okay. I think he's an average starting goalie, but recently his game hasn't been 100%. While Scrivens is an excellent backup. Also I wouldn't touch any Boston goalie, they're the most overrated voalies in my opinion, if you put Toskala on that team he'd look like a superstar. Any goalie will look good on that team, don't be fooled.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I would worry about upgrading team D first and then see how the goalies are doing. Top pairing Dman and an upgrade for Bozak would make Reimer look better.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
How much is low?

Kessel, or Kadri, or Phaneuf straight up?

I can't see us getting Miller for anything less than one of our top 3 players, a prospect, and a 1st round pick. Too high in my opinion.

No chance that Buffalo can expect to acquire those types of assets from any team in exchange for Miller at this juncture. If that was the asking price, than I agree it would be more prudent to move on.

However, I think he could be had for a reasonable price. Buffalo is desperate to move him, and his trade value is at an all time low. Furthermore, there aren't many teams looking for a starting goaltender at the moment so the market is not conducive to creating a bidding war for Miller's services at a 6 million dollar cap hit into next season.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Miller has called out his teammates at times in Buffalo, but he had a point every time.

I think he would be rejuvenated in a market like T.O. and become our best goaltender since Belfour without question.

He might also be 'too' vocal a voice in the dressing room.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If you guys think Regier, or any GM of the Sabres moving forward, would trade Miller to a divisional rival, you must be smoking some awesome crack.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No chance that Buffalo can expect to acquire those types of assets from any team in exchange for Miller at this juncture. If that was the asking price, than I agree it would be more prudent to move on.

However, I think he could be had for a reasonable price. Buffalo is desperate to move him, and his trade value is at an all time low. Furthermore, there aren't many teams looking for a starting goaltender at the moment so the market is not conducive to creating a bidding war for Miller's services at a 6 million dollar cap hit into next season.

I just don't see Buffalo trading him to us at a reasonable price. It's just not going to happen. The only way I see it is if it's a three way and Buffalo doesn't have a clue that Miller is flipped to us in the end.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Scrivens?

@mirtle: Scrivens let out a few yelps there on the ice but he's back up and playing again. Something bothering him though.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Unless they're something really special, young goalies on a young developing team, almost always take a confidence hit. And the one thing that's a goalie killer, it's lack of confidence. Some never recover from it. I hope, for Reimers sake, the Leafs get some veteran help. He's no Brodeur, but he's not a jobber either. Guy is 23, he's still all potential. We need Giggy back!!! :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->