Leaf Goalies

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This thread is exactly why we can't groom our own talent.

Because they read the internet after losses and get down on themselves?

It's one thing to wait on super talented kids who are 20-21 but Reimer is a 4th round pick we've auditioned for parts of three seasons and Scrivens was a college pickup who is 27 years old.

RhyZa

Jul 3, 2006
You can't give a single guy 3-4 years of failure to prove himself. It's not like he's a top five pick we can't give up on easily. He can be here as a platoon goalie, but as far as being a starter? He's shown that he's somewhat fragile and isn't good when he comes back. Scrivens just plays scared. Need to replace one of these guys, I don't think either furthers their development repeating the same stuff over and over.

Scrivens can go. He has obvious flaws which I doubt are fixable.

If Reimer could improve his glove hand where he can actually hang on to more pucks he could be solid. I just hear a lot of whining but no solutions that are reasonable that doesn't jeopardize the future of the team. I don't think we're close so would rather build through the draft or sign a UFA like you mentioned.

Last edited:

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I'd like to see Jonathan Bernier come to T.O, Not sure what the price tag would be though, He's essentially blocked from being a #1 in L.A because of Quick so He'll be moved sooner rather then later I would think.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I just hear a lot of whining but no solutions that are reasonable that doesn't jeopardize the future of the team.

Do I have to type out the UFA list I provided? Here's a few names broken down into veteran goalies who may be backups, and some youngish goalie options who are established starters or could audition for a job as a starter or platoon.

Veteran goalies:

Nicklas Backstrom $$$
Jose Theodore $
Ray Emery $$?
Evgeni Nabokov $$

Youngish goalies:

Mike Smith $$$$
Anton Khudobin $
Jimmy Howard $$$$
Al Montoya $

RhyZa

Jul 3, 2006
Do I have to type out the UFA list I provided?

Veteran goalies:

Nicklas Backstrom $$$
Jose Theodore $
Ray Emery $$?
Evgeni Nabokov $$

Youngish goalies:

Mike Smith $$$$
Anton Khudobin $
Jimmy Howard $$$$
Al Montoya $

I'd go Khudobin then. I have little confidence that any of them would thrive in this system to spend anymore than one $.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Khudobin for the exact same deal Reimer got.

I don't think Boston can afford to give that guy more than 1M...he's definitely leaving as UFA. Why would a potential starter want to be a back up?

Reimer/Khudobin splitting duties is fine by me.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Do I have to type out the UFA list I provided? Here's a few names broken down into veteran goalies who may be backups, and some youngish goalie options who are established starters or could audition for a job as a starter or platoon.

Veteran goalies:

Nicklas Backstrom $$$
Jose Theodore $
Ray Emery $$?
Evgeni Nabokov $$

Youngish goalies:

Mike Smith $$$$
Anton Khudobin $
Jimmy Howard $$$$
Al Montoya $

That's a cringe worthy list, If I had to choose one it would be Jimmy Howard probably.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Because they read the internet after losses and get down on themselves?

It's one thing to wait on super talented kids who are 20-21 but Reimer is a 4th round pick we've auditioned for parts of three seasons and Scrivens was a college pickup who is 27 years old.

It doesn't matter where you pick them, they all need development time and they all need to be put in proper situations to succeed.

We've played Reimer in parts of 3 seasons; he carried a horrible team on his back for the start of his career; suffered a pretty bad injury that derailed the next season and is now back and putting up very good numbers which are comparable to his rookie stretch.

He's a young goalie....there will be bumps in the road. You can't throw the towel in on him just because "you don't see it in him".

Although I'll add I think we need a vet goalie in here; just like we did last year.

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
reimer lets in a few soft ones and boom goes the dynamite!

lets do a quick half season analysis shall we?

to date reimer and scrivens sit 15/16th in save % yet find themselves mid to late twenties in GAA. What does this tell us? How about that the leafs are allowing too many SOG! Dont force your goaltender to make save after save and youll find he generally performs better.

Stop trying to blame two young goaltenders. Theyve been tossed into the deep end

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Wregget and Bester is actually an apt comparison.

I think it should be clear to management at this point that this team desperately needs an upgrade in goal if they want to take it to the next level.

Even if a number one centre and a number one defenceman are acquired at some point, the status quo between the pipes is not going to cut it. Sub par goaltending will continue to be the achilles heel of the team unless Nonis acquires a bonafide number one goaltender.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Right now we do need to find a more reliable option. We can't just bet on Reimer and then watch it all go to hell when he gets hurt and then comes back not the same guy that he was before getting hurt.

I'm not saying you give up on him entirely, but you sure as heck find a more reliable secondary option then Scrivens.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Wregget and Bester is actually an apt comparison.

I think it should be clear to management at this point that this team desperately needs an upgrade in goal if they want to take it to the next level.

Even if a number one centre and a number one defenceman are acquired at some point, the status quo between the pipes is not going to cut it. Sub par goaltending will continue to be the achilles heel of the team unless Nonis acquires a bonafide number one goaltender.

Easier said than done.

Improve defense first(because it has been way worse than goaltending) then see how our goaltending is.

Trade for a #1 will be a massive overpayment, there are no UFA options this year(backstrom the best option but he's a poor one)

only slight option would be Bernier, but he's very unproven too.

Goaltending will be not be fixed very easily and it's something I'd be willing to sit on, I don't think it's killing us this year, our defense is.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Right now we do need to find a more reliable option. We can't just bet on Reimer and then watch it all go to hell when he gets hurt and then comes back not the same guy that he was before getting hurt.

I'm not saying you give up on him entirely, but you sure as heck find a more reliable secondary option then Scrivens.

This is what the issue is, there are ups and downs with a young goalie but you need a vet around to help smooth those out.

Reimer is still going to be a No1 goalie; he just can't be thrown into the fire and expected to come out on top.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It doesn't matter where you pick them, they all need development time and they all need to be put in proper situations to succeed.

We've played Reimer in parts of 3 seasons; he carried a horrible team on his back for the start of his career; suffered a pretty bad injury that derailed the next season and is now back and putting up very good numbers which are comparable to his rookie stretch.

He's a young goalie....there will be bumps in the road. You can't throw the towel in on him just because "you don't see it in him".

Although I'll add I think we need a vet goalie in here; just like we did last year.

To me, Reimer has never looked any better than any random goalie who makes the NHL, other than when he first broke in and went on that run. The rest of the time, he has about 3 good games, a stinker, 2 good games, 2 mediocre ones, gets hurt, etc. 4 mediocre games.

Is he any better than a Ben Bishop? I'm not saying dump him necessarily, but you can't pin all your hopes on that kind of goalie.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Exactly.

I'm not adverse to giving up or keeping him, but we can't have two goalies at the same development stage who have the exact same problems. We need to have a stabilizing veteran at minimum, or a clear cut starter that Reimer/Scrivens can back up. I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to get better. We shouldn't have this attitude like we gave Reimer the keys to the franchise and now we have to wait on him.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Bernier is the only option I'd go for, Scrivens+3rd for bernier(or some equally cheaper cost)

he'd make the tandem better potential wise.

Everything else would be an overpayment(Luongo, Miller wont happen through trade you dont trade your #1 G within your division)

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
This is what the issue is, there are ups and downs with a young goalie but you need a vet around to help smooth those out.

Reimer is still going to be a No1 goalie; he just can't be thrown into the fire and expected to come out on top.
I suppose it's possible, but I just don't see Reimer being a consistent #1 at this level. At best a really good backup. Though I'm starting to wonder if he's going to turn into our goaltending version of Carlo Colaiacovo. Just when he's back and looking fine something else goes wrong.

In the end at least we can all agree we need to upgrade the goaltending tandem. I hope Nonis didn't pass up on anything reasonable to upgrade the goaltending. It's not going to get easier now that we're looking weak in that area.

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
Reimer's not going to steal games. But he doesn't lose them either, unlike the goalies we've had to put up with for the last few years.

I don't see a reasonably priced upgrade, especially when you add dollars into the equation, Reimer's only getting $1.8 million.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Bernier is the only option I'd go for, Scrivens+3rd for bernier(or some equally cheaper cost)

he'd make the tandem better potential wise.

Everything else would be an overpayment(Luongo, Miller wont happen through trade you dont trade your #1 G within your division)

Other day I read LA wants Iginla+ for Bernier.

I'd go after Niklas Backstrom in the offseason, if he becomes a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad