Leaf Goalies

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
reimer lets in a few soft ones and boom goes the dynamite!

lets do a quick half season analysis shall we?

to date reimer and scrivens sit 15/16th in save % yet find themselves mid to late twenties in GAA. What does this tell us? How about that the leafs are allowing too many SOG! Dont force your goaltender to make save after save and youll find he generally performs better.

Stop trying to blame two young goaltenders. Theyve been tossed into the deep end

Sure, you asked for it. Since returning from injury:

March 21: 4 goals against, blew a two goal lead to lose in a shootout
March 20: 2 goals against Tampa in the third period
March 16: 0 goals against, in relief of Scrivens
March 12: 4 goals against, got pulled at home in Manitoba
March 9: 4 goals against, spotted Pittsburgh a 4-1 lead
March 6: 4 goals against, almost blew the lead against Ottawa in the third
March 4: 2 goals against, beat New Jersey
February 28: 4 goals against, blew a two goal lead against the Islanders

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8473503&season=20122013&view=log

And don't give me the injury excuse. If he's coming back and he's terrible, he should be benched. Which gives credence to the notion that a goalie who can play (not Scrivens) can fill in when he's struggling and not contributing to the team.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Bernier is the only option I'd go for, Scrivens+3rd for bernier(or some equally cheaper cost)

he'd make the tandem better potential wise.

Everything else would be an overpayment(Luongo, Miller wont happen through trade you dont trade your #1 G within your division)

LA reportedly wants a Kings ransom (no pun intended) for Bernier. Like a 1st or blue chip prospect ++

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
its as simple as this
if we are content with not making the playoffs and developing reimer and scrivens
then im ok with that BUT in my opinion reimer at this point in his career should be a backup goalie playing 20-25 games a year. Scrivens has absolutely no rebound control and should be playing in the AHL not in the big show.

The last two years the same thing happened.

we start out with two unproven goalies - we manage to get off to a great start - reimer gets hurt- comes back and we struggle to win because he is letting in a couple of stinkers a night and when we win we have to score 5 goals.

Same as last year top ten in GF bottom ten in GA

In order for us to make playoffs if that is our goal we have to improve in net Period!

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
LA reportedly wants a Kings ransom (no pun intended) for Bernier. Like a 1st or blue chip prospect ++

Then we have basically no options right now.

Not sure why Backstrom would hit UFA, he'll want to stay with Minny as they get better and better.

You'd be taking a risk signing any other UFA, aren't any other proven upgrades.

wytenyte

Feb 6, 2012
Toronto
Brian Elliot in St.Louis has been a healthy scratch because of Jake Allen. IF he can return to form as he did last year for St.Louis or even Ottawa a few years ago; he would be a steal of deal. I couldn't imagine STL asking much for him right now as they're keeping 3 goalies up on their team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brian Elliot in St.Louis has been a healthy scratch because of Jake Allen. IF he can return to form as he did last year for St.Louis or even Ottawa a few years ago; he would be a steal of deal. I couldn't imagine STL asking much for him right now as they're keeping 3 goalies up on their team.

I think Elliot is a bit of a mirage, since he was terrible in Ottawa...

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A tighter overall defense would help but I don't know what to do. It's frustrating to get such average goaltending on so many occasions, but I don't want to waste important assets on another goalie either. A conundrum. If Backstrom is a UFA, maybe that makes the most sense.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A tighter overall defense would help but I don't know what to do. It's frustrating to get such average goaltending on so many occasions, but I don't want to waste important assets on another goalie either. A conundrum. If Backstrom is a UFA, maybe that makes the most sense.

If the responsbility of Team Defense is split 50/50 between 6 guys who play defense and 1 guy in net, let's say, I'd be inclined to change up the goalie than rebuild the defense yet again.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If the responsbility of Team Defense is split 50/50 between 6 guys who play defense and 1 guy in net, let's say, I'd be inclined to change up the goalie than rebuild the defense yet again.
You're leaving out the forwards, though. They have to contribute, as well. I think that's where coaching comes in. We have talent on the blue line, but they don't seem to be doing as good a job keeping the puck in safer areas as they did earlier in the year. I'm not against getting another goalie, given it doesn't cost an arm or a leg, but if the team isn't playing better defensively all around, the same problem will only reoccur.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You're leaving out the forwards, though. They have to contribute, as well. I think that's where coaching comes in. We have talent on the blue line, but they don't seem to be doing as good a job keeping the puck in safer areas as they did earlier in the year. I'm not against getting another goalie, given it doesn't cost an arm or a leg, but if the team isn't playing better defensively all around, the same problem will only reoccur.

Sure, I just mean whatever the breakdown in team defense is shared by the blueline corps and the starter, the starter is someone who should be looked at after the number of defensemen we've rotated in and out over the same time Reimer has been here. It's also funny how Scrivens plays like a frantic wreck like Gustavsson. It's like we signed up the exact same type of goalie that one year when we got them and Rynnas too... :laugh:

Too bad Euro scouting hasn't picked us up Viktor Fasth type finds...

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
All I know is the Leafs have the absolute worst puck handling tandem in the entire league. Every time these guys touch the puck to make a pass its an instant turnover

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The solution is patience . Our D needs to gain some experience still in Carlyle's sytem, some just need seasoning. I see Reimer as one day being a Howard level goalie which is fine, if I'm right. Our team is going to get better just by experience in the next couple years without any moves , and we still have some good prospects in the pipeline. The fact that we are looking like a playoff team with this young group tells me we are heading in the right direction. I don't think Dion has even peaked yet let alone the Gardiners etc.
I agree with this. We've chased veterans and quick fixes for decades, it's just spinning our tires doing the same thing over and over again. Let's try something different and keep our young players. If they truly want a vet get a U F A. Don't giveup on any youth. Bryz not playing well in philly, Lu slowing down in Vancouver he wouldn't be better here. It's not as easy as just insert good goalie and win. Develop the team 1st

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.

why wouldnt they
quick is strugling a bit in the games ive watched and bernier has pickd up the slack

in my opinion at this point I dont think bernier is available. LA needs him for insurance .

same as luongo - schneider has not shown he is the #1 yet. i think vancouver needs luongo right now until schneider gets back to where he was last year

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Reimer has been fine. Only problem is that he's not stealing games right now and fans are expecting that from him.

He did have some great games pre-injury. Fans forget that he was a major reason why we won games we never should have. Are you guys this short-sighted?

There's definitely a need to get a veteran goaltender to split games with Reimer. Scrivens isn't bad but we need someone with experience that can perhaps give us more consistency in back-to-back games. Scrivens is way to inconsistent and seems to get rattled a bit too easily right now.

Hopefully Nonis can find a good trading partner before the deadline. There's a few candidates right now that I hope can be had for a fair price.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
1) Mike Smith contract ends this year. We will be able to match any offer he gets and I dont think he wants to stay in Phoenix. Do we try to trade for him or take our chances in free agency?

2) Miller prob wont be in Buffalo next year. Miller is slightly older then Smith but has more accomplishments. Do we try to trade for him or take our chances in free agency?

3) Bernier is probably the best option for TO. Good young goalie that will grow into a great goalie just like most of the Leafs playing / will play. He is the man i want.

4) NOT LUONGO

5) NOT LUONGO

6) NOT LUONGO

7 - ∞) NOT LUONGO Still a great goalie but when he retires he is going to really hurt that team. Not worth any trade, would not take even if Vancouver gives him to us for free. No joke. Would rather lose and build to be better in future where as Luongo is in TO worst interest long term.

I would also like to point out that if we do try for a trade we really don't have a goalie to trade back with. Right now i think Scrivens is worth more then Riemer and at best Scrivens is a backup and prob will never be a fill time starter. However, to give credit where credit is due Scrivens is an amazing backup goalie.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
i would like to see the leafs go after miller..i have no doubt he would want to play here as he likes the spotlight..also his value is lower because the "expert analysts" think his play is off..from what i saw last night he was the difference stopping everything he could see..the problem seems to be buffalo's team infront of him letting guys like JVR just picnic infront of him all night

gustavsson50

Jul 19, 2010
Brampton
Nothing wrong with reimer. It was one bad game we had. We didnt lose any games cuz of goalies fault except winnipeg and last night game. He will bounce back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->