Le Retour des Nordiques Partie XVI: Pierre Karl, ouvre la valise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011
My god some of you make this so difficult.

When did Quebecor and the city decide to build an NHL-ready arena, and did they think at that time that the expansion fee was going to be $400 or $500 MM? I know I was shocked by the latter number which was not settled when the arena construction started.

What was the exchange rate when the arena construction started?

Mind you, I don't really care if every poster here thinks it's not significant and not the issue. I read Mulroney's statement very carefully, and having done so, I'm going to conclude it IS a massive issue.

It may be significant but knowing the last expansion was back in 2000, I think Québecor has no choice. It's now or never...

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
In a year where all canadians teams will skip the playoffs, at great way to make sure that does not appen again, ADD an AMERICAN teams... :handclap:

the way a see it, add a canadian team, now you have 8 teams, you can create a canadian only division, so you now, you can ensure that some canadian team will have a playoffs chance, rogers is happy, canadian are happy, they will continue to fill the arenas and throw money at the NHL in the springs...

I do not agree.

It will be a "division B" subject to plenty of jokes.

Canadian teams simply have bad management.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
In a year where all canadians teams will skip the playoffs, at great way to make sure that does not appen again, ADD an AMERICAN teams... :handclap:

the way a see it, add a canadian team, now you have 8 teams, you can create a canadian only division, so you now, you can ensure that some canadian team will have a playoffs chance, rogers is happy, canadian are happy, they will continue to fill the arenas and throw money at the NHL in the springs...

Or maybe instead of trying to gift Canadian teams playoff spots they should just get competent management teams.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Too late, Quentin Tarantino already has "The H8ful Eight" trademarked... :sarcasm:

I guess you could spawn all of the Canadian NHL teams off into their own league, expand to Halifax, Victoria, Hamilton, and Saskatoon, and go back to the glory days of the 12-team league that is referred to in such sentimental, wistful prose in these quarters. You could even work with the CHL to ensure that the CNHL has first draft rights to all Major Junior players. Then all that would be left would be to sue the NHL for possession of the Stanley Cup and you'll be set.

Or, y'know, maybe just wait for QC to get their expansion team and hope that the seven existing Canadian teams find a way to get their collective heads out of their poopchutes and build teams capable of getting to the Playoffs.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
He's not wrong though. When has the NHL ever done the right thing when it comes to expansion?

The target of any boycott will not be Tim Hortons or Honda.

Yes, this league have a strange behaviour. The reason why the're putting loads of profits in is not because Bettman is smart, its because they got Monopoly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad