Le Retour des Nordiques Partie XVI: Pierre Karl, ouvre la valise

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Because Quebec has an Arena, Atlanta has an arena, Houston has an Arena? Seattle has ...?

my comment had nothing to specifically to do with Seattle.

The thrashers were kicked out of their arena hence why they were relocated to Winnipeg. Houston issue that Rockets owner has to be involved.

I meant expand the foot print in general which could be putting a team in Portland Oregon for example.

DyerMaker66*

What does that even mean? We can all watch games on TV/ the Interwebs. You're really just closing your eyes and hoping you hit the dart board if you're just going places that will "expand the footprint".

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
i doubt very much the league wants any team to fail, relocations are quintessentially black eyes and the nhl already is the leader in this category by a wide margin. i doubt very much any team moves.

I agree.

The NHL already suffered a HUGE embarrassment when Atlanta moved to Winnipeg. The Sun-Belt/Non-Traditional markets are Gary Bettman's beloved children. His chosen people. When one of them fails; he dies a little inside. He would sell his soul to the devil (if he had one) to prop up Phoenix; Florida; Carolina; Tampa Bay; etc...

It's very possible that even Bettman may not be able to keep all of these teams afloat; but he would hate to lose face over another failure like Atlanta and will do anything to avoid another American team failing.

It's all good what you guys are saying, but the main reason NHL is dragging the whole expansion process is because there are teams that either are in a difficult situation or will be in the next few years (if they don't change things).

It is also the main reason why NHL got only two expansion bids. Other groups knowing they will have a shot at a relocation candidate sooner or later.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
It's all good what you guys are saying, but the main reason NHL is dragging the whole expansion process is because there are teams that either are in a difficult situation or will be in the next few years (if they don't change things).

It is also the main reason why NHL got only two expansion bids. Other groups knowing they will have a shot at a relocation candidate sooner or later.

In YOUR opinion, who is the NHL expecting will need a home? Bettman's sacred cow (***cough***) the Coyotes?

This feels like how some NFL teams that want new stadiums have lost some leverage with their home cities, now that Los Angeles isn't an open landing spot. Certainly not for an NFC team, anyway.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON

im not sure I would even say "other" ... it strikes me that both Foley and PKP surely understood the distinct possibility they'd receive a relo rather than an actual expansion team, but likely felt an obligation to play bettman's PR game and trumpet their expansion wishes.

everyone knows the coyotes, pathers and canes are unstable, including Foley and PKP. it's not just suitors in other locations who might be thinking relo purchase.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

so you agreed with me in the first paragraph, but in the 2nd one say that i am wrong? :laugh:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
my comment had nothing to specifically to do with Seattle.

The thrashers were kicked out of their arena hence why they were relocated to Winnipeg. Houston issue that Rockets owner has to be involved.

I meant expand the foot print in general which could be putting a team in Portland Oregon for example.

Fair enough. Seattle has a bigger economy then portland.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think the biggest question mark about Portland is if the city can support 2 winter based teams. Portland has a good economy and having Nike based there helps as well.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Seattle has like 20% the population of Oregon, never mind just Portland :laugh:

I think the biggest question mark about Portland is if the city can support 2 winter based teams. Portland has a good economy and having Nike based there helps as well.

They can, it's just that Seattle should go first to see if they area reacts well. Portland is not a good first step.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
They can, it's just that Seattle should go first to see if they area reacts well. Portland is not a good first step.

Washington State has four CHL teams in it. I am sure that an NHL team would thrive, or at the absolute worst, do okay.

they should put it in vancouver instead of seattle tho. we could have a vancouver//vancouver derby 8 times a year or w/e :laugh:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
This week, Bettman and the gouvernors will check how to do the expansion draft... so get ready for greats annoucements in june !

One team expansion. QC will have to wait.

Pelle... How do we know Philly is wrong and it won't be a 1-team expansion? How do YOU know? You seem awfully sure about this. Either you're a sadistic *******, or you've got one hell of a source.

Pelle Lindbergh

Sep 9, 2006
Montreal
Like i told you guys a couple of pages ago, someone from Quebecor told me if everything still going fine till the vote, Quebec city and las vegas will get their team in june. The canadian dollar value has nothing to do with it. A relocation is not in the mind of Bettman, for this year at least. Bettman wants the money of the expansion and it will be easier after that, to sell the coyotes or the Hurricanes for less money in 2 or 3 years to Portland, Kansas city or Seattle.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Like i told you guys a couple of pages ago, someone from Quebecor told me if everything still going fine till the vote, Quebec city and las vegas will get their team in june. The canadian dollar value has nothing to do with it. A relocation is not in the mind of Bettman, for this year at least. Bettman wants the money of the expansion and it will be easier after that, to sell the coyotes or the Hurricanes for less money in 2 or 3 years to Portland, Kansas city or Seattle.

Its fun, someone also from Quebecor told me that... while he was installing my new HD receiver in my living room.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

how will it be easier to sell the hurricanes to move when the only reason they haven't been sold yet, and it's going on like 2 years, is because the owner will not sell to anyone who wants to relocate the team?

pls explain

Pelle Lindbergh

Sep 9, 2006
Montreal
In his mind, Bettman dont give a *** about Quebec city, but they did what he asked : a new arena, and willing to pay $500m and also they are partners with the tv rights in Canada. Arizona , carolina are the 2 teams in trouble, Bettman dont want to loose these territories but if there is no choice, at least he dont want to relocate to canada. At first ( i dont know of he changed his mind) Foley wants an expansion team only and Seattle was never ready. Phoenix would have been relocated to one these cities , a couple seasons ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
In his mind, Bettman dont give a *** about Quebec city, but they did what he asked : a new arena, and willing to pay $500m and also they are partners with the tv rights in Canada. Arizona , carolina are the 2 teams in trouble, Bettman dont want to loose these territories but if there is no choice, at least he dont want to relocate to canada. At first ( i dont know of he changed his mind) Foley wants an expansion team only and Seattle was never ready. Phoenix would have been relocated to one these cities , a couple seasons ago.

I am sure QC and Vegas were not his first choices. But the NHL did this to themselves.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

Foley may not have much of a choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad