Le Retour des Nordiques Partie XVI: Pierre Karl, ouvre la valise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Foley may not have much of a choice...

He can make it difficult for the NHL, like saying he'll pay $500M for an expansion team but nowhere near $500M for the Coyotes. $500M + leaving the Coyotes mess for another year vs. under $500M and no more Coyotes mess (for a few years)... I wonder what the NHL would choose and how willing the holdouts are willing to budge on the financial calculus to expand even by one team.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Do they know the dollar is back pretty much where it was when Quebecor placed their bid last Summer. It was at .79 back then it now at .75?

Did you read Mulroney's statement, madhi?

I'm fairly sure that a swing of $100-200 MM in capital is a significant issue for corporations.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Did you read Mulroney's statement, madhi?

I'm fairly sure that a swing of $100-200 MM in capital is a significant issue for corporations.

Story about Quebecors official bid was on NHL.com on July 21, 2015. The exchange rate was 0.7715 on that date (Noon; from bankofcanada.ca). Today at noon it was 0.7523.

$500mm USD would cost roughly $16.5mm more today then it did then.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Story about Quebecors official bid was on NHL.com on July 21, 2015. The exchange rate was 0.7715 on that date (Noon; from bankofcanada.ca). Today at noon it was 0.7523.

$500mm USD would cost roughly $16.5mm more today then it did then.

My god some of you make this so difficult.

When did Quebecor and the city decide to build an NHL-ready arena, and did they think at that time that the expansion fee was going to be $400 or $500 MM? I know I was shocked by the latter number which was not settled when the arena construction started.

What was the exchange rate when the arena construction started?

Mind you, I don't really care if every poster here thinks it's not significant and not the issue. I read Mulroney's statement very carefully, and having done so, I'm going to conclude it IS a massive issue.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON

When did Quebecor and the city decide to build an NHL-ready arena, and did they think at that time that the expansion fee was going to be $400 or $500 MM? I know I was shocked by the latter number which was not settled when the arena construction started.

Mind you, I don't really care if every poster here thinks it's not significant and not the issue. I read Mulroney's statement very carefully, and having done so, I'm going to conclude it IS a massive issue.

he was prime minister of canada for almost 10 years. he's more skilled at choosing his words than bettman.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

This suggests to me that while expansion may or may not be now, they seem to be putting something into place so that when it DOES happen, it's one less thing they have to think about. If anything the fact they're talking/debating expansion draft now would suggest that we may not see anything for another couple of years at least-depending on how much the BOG has to debate what is "fair" amongst themselves.

NOT saying it will take 2-3 years to decide, but rather the BOG wouldn't have to feel "forced" about making a decision for an upcoming season at least.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec

Fugu,

Here is the statement you seem to be speaking of :

During an interview Monday on Quebec City radio station FM93, Quebecor chairman Brian Mulroney said the return of the Nordiques isn’t about to happen “tomorrow morning.â€

“Obviously, you know that with the Canadian dollar where it is, it is an extraordinary challenge not only for Quebec, but for all of Canada vis-à-vis the United States,†the former Prime Minister said. “So we must deal with this reality.â€

Noting that he “regularly†meets with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume, Mulroney added that patience is needed in the expansion efforts.

“We work well with the National Hockey League and the case, quietly, (might) not advance quickly, but (will) advance as it should,†Mulroney said.

“Will it be for tomorrow morning? No, I think not. But I think we are high up on the list of important applications to remember in the future.â€

Essentially it is a challenge and we must deal with it. Is it said, at any point, that it compromises our bid? How did he, by any means, say or imply that it is nearly as massive as you suggest it is? I do not understand your conclusions here, while knowing how negative you have been for years towards QC's bid.

Quebecor is a multi-billion company. They have staff that works on finance on a daily basis. They are not idiots, any cash flows model made by finance experts takes into account dollars fluctuations risks. No it is not a dream scenario, and yes our bid may be rejected in the end, but at this point in time there is no reason to believe the expansion process will exclude us. I invite you to "read Mulroney's statement very carefully" once again and, hey, why not, read Gary Bettman's statements thus far.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Fugu,

Here is the statement you seem to be speaking of :

Essentially it is a challenge and we must deal with it. Is it said, at any point, that it compromises our bid? How did he, by any means, say or imply that it is nearly as massive as you suggest it is? I do not understand your conclusions here, while knowing how negative you have been for years towards QC's bid.

Quebecor is a multi-billion company. They have staff that works on finance on a daily basis. They are not idiots, any cash flows model made by finance experts takes into account dollars fluctuations risks. No it is not a dream scenario, and yes our bid may be rejected in the end, but at this point in time there is no reason to believe the expansion process will exclude us. I invite you to "read Mulroney's statement very carefully" once again and, hey, why not, read Gary Bettman's statements thus far.

I don't think most commentators here are negative toward QC's bid, as much as recognizing the reality of the economics and the NHL's attitude right now that's put awarding any teams on the back burner. I've written several times here how Quebec deserves a team because of its tradition and love of hockey. But several of us with some kind of business background or other have also written that a $500 million expansion fee really makes any expansion a dicey proposition, saddling a new team with an almost unserviceable debt. And that was before the dollar dropped as much as it has now. As much as I want QC to get a team as soon as possible, it looks like they're probably going to need some more time to make this work.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... a $500 million expansion fee really makes any expansion a dicey proposition, saddling a new team with an almost unserviceable debt. And that was before the dollar dropped as much as it has now.

Oh you bet. Absolute Madness to be crippling a brand new franchise, traditional or non-traditional market with that kind of debt-load right up-front. Its irrational. The numbers simply do not pencil out anywhere in any market for a start-up and that includes Southern Ontario (factor in building costs & additional indemnification fee's going to Toronto & Buffalo). Why would you ding them like that? Especially a market like Vegas. Quebec I can sort of get my head around & rationalize it over 2 generations or more but not Nevada. No way in Hell does that make sense. Yet here we are.... Frankly, I hope Brian Mulroney told the NHL to get real because they need telling. Insane. Only that number works is if NBC or whomever pays about 10X's the amount their paying through the early 2020's and youd have to be on some serious drugs to ever think that going to happen. They might find themselves being shortchanged on the Rogers deal as it is. Pure bare nikkid unadulterated greed is what this is all about.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
We're probably at historical low in interest, total apathy.

Its like we don't care now. Case done.

Wow, never thought I'd end like this. Relo is the only way now and I'm kind of very pessimistic. They would launch again a process in 5 years and people would have zero interest, enough waste of time, keep your dignity and say no to NHL.

So in the end, we came one COG consellor (Chavira) vote close to land the Yotes and this was our only chance.

:(

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
I don't think most commentators here are negative toward QC's bid, as much as recognizing the reality of the economics and the NHL's attitude right now that's put awarding any teams on the back burner. I've written several times here how Quebec deserves a team because of its tradition and love of hockey. But several of us with some kind of business background or other have also written that a $500 million expansion fee really makes any expansion a dicey proposition, saddling a new team with an almost unserviceable debt. And that was before the dollar dropped as much as it has now. As much as I want QC to get a team as soon as possible, it looks like they're probably going to need some more time to make this work.

Sure, I get all of this. We've been over everything a couple of threads ago.

But Quebecor still went on, which means they think they can do it. They spent $2M non-refundable and the NHL still holds the other $8M (which means the more time they take, the more interest they steal from Quebecor's pockets). They used resources to go through 3 rounds of process. Direction even spent days meeting the NHL.
Besides, if they go for 31 teams expecting a second wave of expansion in the near future to reach 32 teams, how do they expect their $2M bid fees to be taken seriously? I'm pretty sure it would scare a fair number of people.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
We're probably at historical low in interest, total apathy.

Its like we don't care now. Case done.

Wow, never thought I'd end like this. Relo is the only way now and I'm kind of very pessimistic. They would launch again a process in 5 years and people would have zero interest, enough waste of time, keep your dignity and say no to NHL.

So in the end, we came one COG consellor (Chavira) vote close to land the Yotes and this was our only chance.

:(
Well, I wouldn't get that pessimistic, either. It was certainly not your "only chance." Winnipeg saw their "only chance" slip away a couple times when the Coyotes franchise got bailed out at the last minute, and yet, they got their team. QC will, too. But you've had your modern, major league arena for what, 7 months? Winnipeg had theirs for 7 years, but eventually one need or another of the NHL's was going to land them a team, and it did. It'll happen for QC, too. I predicted 2018-19 some pages back. None of us knows, really. But be patient - it'll happen.

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
One would imagine that having one expansion draft for two teams would be easier to plan for the 30 current teams than two expansion drafts over a period of time.

I know 1998/99/2000 had three expansion drafts but again those drafts did not have a salary cap to plan through for current teams either regarding losing players.

Do it once NHL.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
That pretty much proves that the 500m$ price tag is complete non-sense. Only two bids, one of them seriously compromised by just a few % variation in exchange rate and the other one raises many profitability questions. All the while, other serious prospects just watched by the sideline...

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I just wonder why even bother give NHL $2M when you knew you would not be able to cope with $500M fee.

You guys really telling me NHL will gladly accept the negative PR they are about to get announcing one instead of two team expansions ?

Pierremartin9

Mar 3, 2016
New Brunswick
I just wonder why even bother give NHL $2M when you knew you would not be able to cope with $500M fee.

You guys really telling me NHL will gladly accept the negative PR they are about to get announcing one instead of two team expansions ?

As much as it would suck, their reputation didn't seem to take too much of a hit with the 3 lock-outs (!), so it doesn't seem like they would care very much.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc

Since when do they care about the negative PR?

They are all setting up the refusal using Mulroney and Peladeau themselves.

Ridiculous, please keep your dignity. Let them with their empty arenas.

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City

In a year where all canadians teams will skip the playoffs, at great way to make sure that does not appen again, ADD an AMERICAN teams... :handclap:

the way a see it, add a canadian team, now you have 8 teams, you can create a canadian only division, so you now, you can ensure that some canadian team will have a playoffs chance, rogers is happy, canadian are happy, they will continue to fill the arenas and throw money at the NHL in the springs...

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

How much are they really going to get though? There is a lot of well deserved apathy here. And do you really think people in northern Quebec are really going to boycott Tim Hortons and Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad