Le Retour des Nordiques Partie XVI: Pierre Karl, ouvre la valise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
"Yikes, including an Arizona franchise that quite possibly owes the league anywhere from $85-$185 million? "

Yes, including an Arizona franchise floating on spéculations since WWI.

If they are cashing in a billion (reported) , and need to write off 180M, you do so.

But in real life, NYC smart guys will find a buyer, would it be discount, no worries.

They talk new arenas in Milwaukee, Hartford, heck they could convince San Francisco to chip in.

Gee I forgot Toronto II.. "Oh look there's Hamilton, those canucks will build, look at the frenchies."

Those NYC lawyers are fantastic in manipulation of every kind. Everybody understood QC and LV will get in but to the cost of an arm and a leg.

Look at Karmanos selling price go nuke after expansions announced. They all use lil QC and LV to maximise their share values.

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
"Yikes, including an Arizona franchise that quite possibly owes the league anywhere from $85-$185 million? "

Yes, including an Arizona franchise floating on spéculations since WWI.

If they are cashing in a billion (reported) , and need to write off 180M, you do so.

But in real life, NYC smart guys will find a buyer, would it be discount, no worries.

They talk new arenas in Milwaukee, Hartford, heck they could convince San Francisco to chip in.

Gee I forgot Toronto II.. "Oh look there's Hamilton, those canucks will build, look at the frenchies."

Those NYC lawyers are fantastic in manipulation of every kind. Everybody understood QC and LV will get in but to the cost of an arm and a leg.

Look at Karmanos selling price go nuke after expansions announced. They all use lil QC and LV to maximise their share values.

Currently only QC and LV appear to meet the NHL requirements for a franchise. Although L'ill Gary can change the criteria any time he wishes. Hello Seattle and Portland.

L'ill Gary will be on tsn 1290 within the next couple hours. It may be worth a listen.:popcorn:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/tsn-1290-live-stream-1.53044

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Not again that separation thing?

Don't bring that politics fiction creation again please. Peladeau will never be PM. Never.

When the NHL accepted the Nordiques in 1979, it was the "separatists" that were at government here.

The current situation is we'll have the liberals for 100 years.

I didn't bring it up. It's reportedly the talk among the governors at the BOG meeting...

For the health of the organization, maybe the league shouldn't gouge them with a 500 million U.S. dollar expansion fee!

Exactly. If QC had to pay the equivalent of US$200-300 MM, I don't think anyone would bring up viability.

This may be a stupid question, but do teams not hedge these risks associated with currency exchange rates with the appropriate financial market instruments?

This is a bit more complicated than it appears. Hedging is basically a bet you're placing that currency will go in one direction or the other. It's basically a zero sum game. It's also a time limited instrument in the sense that how short or longterm you're betting will determine what rate you get. It's only wise to hedge if you're very susceptible to big currency swings, so you're willing to operate within a range of rates. You may still come out on the losing end of the exchange, but it may not be as extreme as reality.

The better solution would have been to stockpile USD when the CAD was higher in value, and just keep that around to pay your USD expenses. One issue though will be cash be reserved in this account and thus not available to you for other business needs. And how do you replenish once you start spending (which all depends on the size of the USD reserve in the first place).

You've heard Bettman and Daly refer to the CBA having a built-in system to take care of currency fluctuation. I think what they're really referring to is that the cap (and thus salaries paid to players, all in USD regardless of team location) will reflect a hit to revenues when the Canadian component is translated to US dollars for purposes of setting the cap.

I know the Blue Jays by loads and I mean *LOADS* of USD whenever it makes sense and then just sit on them. I'd surmise the canadian NHL teams do they same.

They may do it to some extent, but again, you have to set that cash aside and keep it for your rainy day. Do they have that much excess cash around that they can just put away?

paybro

Jun 7, 2010
Québec
Jumbotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasenko View Post
Jumbotron is 9x11. Big enough, not too much.
For comparison: New Leafs scoreboard 32' W x 18' H, new MTS Centre (Winnipeg) board is 22' W x 17' H
Just to rectify. The Jumbotron at Vidéotron Center is 35' W x 35'H

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
It won't be. He'll just give the same noncommittal, vague spiel he gave yesterday.

Would you have expected anything different.:)

L'ill Gary did say the talk of currency valuation is overrated and that no one group would currently be ahead of the other in the expansion process. Entire NHL BOG would would look over applications and ask any questions they may gave about the business plans. No timetable, internal or otherwise.:popcorn:

D.D. was on before Bettman and cited Arizona as possibly having problems again.:help: Believed QC has met all criteria of an expansion franchise, especially the new building. Nothing new to see.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Would you have expected anything different.:)

L'ill Gary did say the talk of currency valuation is overrated and that no one group would currently be ahead of the other in the expansion process. Entire NHL BOG would would look over applications and ask any questions they may gave about the business plans. No timetable, internal or otherwise.:popcorn:

D.D. was on before Bettman and cited Arizona as possibly having problems again.:help: Believed QC has met all criteria of an expansion franchise, especially the new building. Nothing new to see.

Really? I guess it's not his extra $170 MM over the original half a billion CA$.

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasenko View Post
Jumbotron is 9x11. Big enough, not too much.
For comparison: New Leafs scoreboard 32' W x 18' H, new MTS Centre (Winnipeg) board is 22' W x 17' H
Just to rectify. The Jumbotron at Vidéotron Center is 35' W x 35'H

It's not what they said on it during the inauguration.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Look guys. I don't know why it matters really. PKP is the guy with the money. One could say he is the ''Donald Trump'' of Quebec. I mean he has the cash, but he won't be able to be in political power and dictate directly what happens with his cash.

Technically speaking, it's one of his enterprises who controls the team and as long as that entity brings back profits, he won't care what color they wear or what language they speak on the ice.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Shawn Hutcheon ‏@ShawnHutcheon 9m9 minutes ago
#NHLBruins Jeremy Jacobs, "A (expansion) team in the west would make more sense."

Bob1321

Feb 13, 2008
Boom!

That's more important than what Bettman says.

Shawn Hutcheon ‏@ShawnHutcheon 7 minil y a 7 minutes Voir la traduction
Shawn Hutcheon a Retweeté Joel Rancourt
Not at all. Mr. Jacobs was referring to the imbalance in number of eastern teams compared to western teams. Shawn Hutcheon a ajouté,
Joel Rancourt @lamia05
@ShawnHutcheon does he sounds like they seem to say no to quebec city???

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Not at all. Mr. Jacobs was referring to the imbalance in number of eastern teams compared to western teams. Shawn Hutcheon a ajouté,
Joel Rancourt @lamia05

An earlier tweet that jumped out to me.

Perhaps, they're not ready to put the breaks or at least slow this down as some as suggested over the past couple days.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Quebec City will just be put in the West for the next several years, and the NHL will just remind everyone that the world's round and you just have to keep going West to get to QC.

Only joking starting with the comma.

YoungGuns

May 22, 2013
Calgary, AB
So all this talk of QC "may not get in this wave of expansion" basically means that LV gets a team because after all the expansion talk and media coverage it would be a disaster for the league to not expand at all, not to mention the non-refundable fees that LV and QC paid. That being said, lets assume QC is "given a wink" for a team within 2 years. That team can come by one of these scenarios:

1. Coyotes cannot make a deal with Glendale after 2 years, and cannot find a suitable arena to play in the PHX area after the 2 years. Potentially move to QC assuming Seattle still can't come up with a plan to house an NHL team.
2. Something changes in the Panthers situation and a potential move to QC.
3. Something changes in the Hurricanes situation and Karmanos decides to sell outside the Carolina market, potentially moving them to QC.
4. All 3 above scenarios do not occur or Coyotes move to Seattle instead, allowing the league to open up a "second wave" of expansion which again may just be a single team being Quebec.
5. The most unlikely scenario. No expansion occurs at all this time around, the Coyotes move to Seattle, Panthers or Hurricanes move to Quebec. League uses non-refundable fees from expansion and puts them towards relocation fees. Expansion only occurs later down the road when Seattle has its ducks in a row, and Toronto figures out how to bring a second team into the market. Unlikely because the league would be giving up their chance to cash in on $500 million from LV, or $1 billion with the combination of LV and QC.

Am I following this right? Or do guys like McKenzie talk about these "waves of expansion" alluding to the idea of the league going beyond 32 teams? (LV in first wave, QC, SEA, TOR etc. in the second wave?)

Last edited:

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
So all this talk of QC "may not get in this wave of expansion" basically means that LV gets a team because after all the expansion talk and media coverage it would be a disaster for the league to not expand at all, not to mention the non-refundable fees that LV and QC paid. That being said, lets assume QC is "given a wink" for a team within 2 years. That team can come by one of these scenarios:

1. Coyotes cannot make a deal with Glendale after 2 years, and cannot find a suitable arena to play in the PHX area after the 2 years. Potentially move to QC assuming Seattle still can't come up with a plan to house an NHL team.
2. Something changes in the Panthers situation and a potential move to QC.
3. Something changes in the Hurricanes situation and Karmanos decides to sell outside the Carolina market, potentially moving them to QC.
4. All 3 above scenarios do not occur or Coyotes move to Seattle instead, allowing the league to open up a "second wave" of expansion which again may just be a single team being Quebec.
5. The most unlikely scenario. No expansion occurs at all this time around, the Coyotes move to Seattle, Panthers or Hurricanes move to Quebec. League uses non-refundable fees from expansion and puts them towards relocation fees. Expansion only occurs later down the road when Seattle has its ducks in a row, and Toronto figures out how to bring a second team into the market. Unlikely because the league would be giving up their chance to cash in on $500 million from LV, or $1 billion with the combination of LV and QC.

Am I following this right? Or do guys like McKenzie talk about these "waves of expansion" alluding to the idea of the league going beyond 32 teams? (LV in first wave, QC, SEA, TOR etc. in the second wave?)

or it could be a staggered expansion. LV one year, QC the next. Point is, the league won't care what the fans on this board want or expect, they'll make decisions based on what they perceive to be their best interest. I find all the conspiracy notions on here ridiculous in the extreme....:laugh:

If QC does not get a team this way, it will be by gentlemen's agreement with a mitigation in place. They have invested too much in the league for the NHL to be cavalier about it. If the league had heartburn about QC, they would have disqualified them early on. One way or another QC gets a team....

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
or it could be a staggered expansion. LV one year, QC the next. Point is, the league won't care what the fans on this board want or expect, they'll make decisions based on what they perceive to be their best interest. I find all the conspiracy notions on here ridiculous in the extreme....:laugh:

In other terms, what NHL is saying is that a new arena is not important.
What is more importanter (I know I did it on purpose) is that the East-West balance is preserved.
At the same time, league confirms that Seattle can invest $60M in Key arena and have it renewed to hopefully be just as bad as the Brooklyn Center to be NHL worthy.

Anyway, that's what I see.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Joel Rancourt @lamia05

If QC does not get a team this way, it will be by gentlemen's agreement with a mitigation in place. They have invested too much in the league for the NHL to be cavalier about it. If the league had heartburn about QC, they would have disqualified them early on. One way or another QC gets a team....

In other terms, what NHL is saying is that a new arena is not important.
What is more importanter (I know I did it on purpose) is that the East-West balance is preserved.
At the same time, league confirms that Seattle can invest $60M in Key arena and have it renewed to hopefully be just as bad as the Brooklyn Center to be NHL worthy.

Anyway, that's what I see.

That's how I see it too.

For months now posters have claimed that the alignment isn't relevant, NHL doesn't care, etc, yet here we have the chairman of the BOG and the head of the expansion committee, the most powerful man in the NHL saying it IS something that's on their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad