LD Zeev Buium - University of Denver, NCAA (2024 Draft)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For sure, but 2 buiums is a great start. Who knows, maybe more will come
Great start? Maybe wait a bit and see. Zeev probably has a nice NHL career ahead of him, but his brother could be the next David Levin.

I like Zeev, a lot. He stands out on the ice.

Last edited:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Great start? Maybe wait a bit and see. Zeev probably has a nice NHL career ahead of him, but his brother could be the next David Levin.

I like Zeev, a lot. He stands out on the ice.
Why so pessimistic? It's great to see some talent from obscure places even if they are Americans.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Why so pessimistic? It's great to see some talent from obscure places even if they are Americans.
I think you are confusing realism and pessimism. Doubting that Israel is going to "keep producing top end(hockey) talent" is the former, not the latter.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bumped. Not enough love for this prospect. I think he is the most complete and highest potential player in the draft after Celebrini.

More importantly, a freaking gamer and winner.
Agree that he's got intangibles, sort of like Catton. GM's are probably more concerned about his (and Catton's) tangibles.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agree that he's got intangibles, sort of like Catton. GM's are probably more concerned about his (and Catton's) tangibles.

I'm surprised to see the Catton comparison - Catton's tangible skills are through the roof, he has a size and strength issue that Buium doesn't really have.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think you are confusing realism and pessimism. Doubting that Israel is going to "keep producing top end(hockey) talent" is the former, not the latter.
Yeah. Israeli American hockey players (I'm Israeli American fwiw) is not a trend. Tbh it's always been a bit of surprise to me that there weren't more Jews in the NHL because of pretty significant presence in youth leagues in a bunch of big hockey areas.. But I guess that's changed, particularly when it comes to high end players. What's significant about the Buiums is they have a parent who was a pro athlete. So while the sport might not so familiar to Israelis, the things elite athletes do to prepare/get better/etc. are very similar for most team sports. I mean, this is what the Hughes brothers, the Buiums, Celebrini (I know he isn't Jewish), etc. have in common - parents who were pro athletes or heavily involved in pro athletics.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Here's my Scouting Report on Zeev Buium.

Interesting scouting report.

It's hard for me to understand somone criticizing a player who is so dynamic and does so many things at an elite level. Does he need to work on certain things? Yes, for sure. But the skillset he brings can't just be taught. I guess when you are under the microscope people will pick out every flaw.

Zeev is an amazing prospect and definitely one of my favorites.

Reactions: 19Simon19

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
My dream is the Sharks being able to package 14 and a second rounder to get into the top 10 and grab Buium. Coming out of this draft with him and Celebrini would be a dream.
Not going to happen. They would need to add a fair amount more to move up to Buium territory

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Both Buium and Parekh are behind the larger D in McKenzie's rankings. I suppose the concern is whether they can have the same impact in the NHL that they had in their respective leagues this year. It's a legitimate concern.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Not going to happen. They would need to add a fair amount more to move up to Buium territory
How high do you think he'll go?

They have 2 early 2nds and an unprotected VGK 1st next year. Not saying it will happen or is enough, but if anyone in the draft has the option to move into the top 10 it is the sharks using the PIT pick.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Would take him as of 3 the more and more I think about it. Sure the Habs don't need an LD, give him another year in the NCAA and bring him a year after by then you'll create space for him by trading an LD for a fwd FFS

The whole we are not going LD is horrible asset management

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
How high do you think he'll go?

They have 2 early 2nds and an unprotected VGK 1st next year. Not saying it will happen or is enough, but if anyone in the draft has the option to move into the top 10 it is the sharks using the PIT pick.
I think anywhere from 2-9 is his range. He’s a supremely smart and productive player. I’ve been high on him all year and other NCAA OFD like Q.Hughes, Fox and Makar have been able to translate their games to the NHL quite easily. The playoff success of those guys and their teams will be fresh in GMs minds come June.

Sharks definitely have the assets to make a move up, but the original post was suggesting the 14th pick plus a 2nd, and that’s not going to be enough in a top heavy draft that falls off drastically around pick 15-20.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad