LD Zeev Buium - University of Denver, NCAA (2024 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he has the highest potential among the 2005 NTDP blue liners. He's the best of the group with the puck. I wouldn't say he's incredibly skilled, but he has above-average skill and puck-moving. He's pretty crafty and can make some nice plays. His skating isn't bad. He's not really a speedster, although his speed is probably about average. He's more of a player who is good on his edges. He's listed at 5'10 by the NTDP in the September listing. EP lists him at 5'11. His older brothers are 6'2 and 6'3, so there's a chance he could still grow some more. This kid at 6'2 or 6'3 would be a much better prospect. I think almost surely a first rounder in 2024, if he grows to the height of his brothers. The biggest problem with his game is that his defense at times can be bad. He makes a lot of bad turnovers with the puck and he's also small right now, so that can compound some problems, even at junior level. The 2024 draft is a long way away, so a lot can change, but I would say with the skills he has now he doesn't go later than round 2. I also think somewhere in round 1 is a real possibility, depending on how much he grows and how his defensive game and also his skating improves.

Reactions: JohnJim

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Notably listed at 6’0 177. One of his brothers is 6’3 and the other is 6’2. Good chance he’s not done growing. He’s born in December, so he’s young for a 2005.

Buium at 6’2 or 6’3 is a much better prospect than when he came into the NTDP at 5’10.

Reactions: Blueston

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s much improved defensively this season. His defense is no longer a weakness. Must’ve been that he was younger than everyone else, and now he’s caught up a little and also physically he’s bigger.

I think he’s right on the edge of being a first round caliber player for 2024, but that can change. He has the best potential of the 2005 NTDP defensemen.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
He’s much improved defensively this season. His defense is no longer a weakness. Must’ve been that he was younger than everyone else, and now he’s caught up a little and also physically he’s bigger.

I think he’s right on the edge of being a first round caliber player for 2024, but that can change. He has the best potential of the 2005 NTDP defensemen.
Watched him yesterday vs BU
Very impressed, I'm actually shocked how good a few of these guys looked
But Buium looks like he's got "it"

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
This kid will be a first rounder next year. Currently uncommited, but was drafted by Saskatoon way back in 2020 in the WHL US Draft. Any idea where he will play next year?

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Notably listed at 6’0 177. One of his brothers is 6’3 and the other is 6’2. Good chance he’s not done growing. He’s born in December, so he’s young for a 2005.

Buium at 6’2 or 6’3 is a much better prospect than when he came into the NTDP at 5’10.
Good call PB. He's listed at 6'2 on the DU site. Seemed a bit generous watching the game, but either way, that helps his stock. I don't think Buium is a PP1 guy in the NHL. I think you're hoping for a 2nd pairing/pp2. You feel a bit better about projecting him to handle top four minutes at 6'2.

Thought he was solid vs Providence for a 17 year old. He's mobile. Skating is a plus. Skilled, but not high end skill. My issue with Buium has always been I don't like his decision making at times.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good call PB. He's listed at 6'2 on the DU site. Seemed a bit generous watching the game, but either way, that helps his stock. I don't think Buium is a PP1 guy in the NHL. I think you're hoping for a 2nd pairing/pp2. You feel a bit better about projecting him to handle top four minutes at 6'2.

Thought he was solid vs Providence for a 17 year old. He's mobile. Skating is a plus. Skilled, but not high end skill. My issue with Buium has always been I don't like his decision making at times.
Yeah, I agree with all of this this. I think his decision-making is better than it once was. It was a train-wreck two years ago in his first NTDP season. Now it's passably questionable. I think he'll find his way into the back-half of the first round. Not anyone's favorite, but I think he's better than Shai, who went 36th.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

how much of his questionable decision making is him trying stuff that worked for him earlier bc he was far more talented than most of the guys he played against? until he got to ntdp. and then everyone was talented and some of it didn't work. but he learned what did. and then he got to du and same thing. i admit to limited viewings, but that is a lot of what i see more than a guy who just plays dumb.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
how much of his questionable decision making is him trying stuff that worked for him earlier bc he was far more talented than most of the guys he played against? until he got to ntdp. and then everyone was talented and some of it didn't work. but he learned what did. and then he got to du and same thing. i admit to limited viewings, but that is a lot of what i see more than a guy who just plays dumb.
It's not so much about trying too much as making the wrong reads at times. I don't think it's a glaring issue, but it's there. There was a game last year with the U18s I remember - 4 nations in February - on the powerplay, rips a shot into the shin pads. U18s get the puck back, goes to Buium at the top, rips another shot at the shin pads right after. That's just one game, but he can be turnover prone.

That said, I thought he was really good against BC. Was competitive and along with Behrens shut down the Smith line.

Another thought - I do wonder if he makes the WJC team. I thought he looked really good at the summer showcase. He's carried that to DU and Carle has had a front row seat. He's also a left shot and brings size - all working in his favor on a team with Hutson and Casey.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's having a fantastic freshman campaign so far. He's up to 18 points in 14 games with tonight's contest still ongoing in which he has 4 assists. And if he's really grown to 6'2, which wouldn't be surprising given his brother's height, he's going to have a really intriguing frame to go with his skill set. Will be interesting to see how he likely does at the WJC as it's hard to imagine he's not there given his performance this season for the WJC coach in David Carle.

One to watch to see how high he can climb in the draft rankings.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Production screams top 10 pick. Maybe someone who has watched him more can comment, but that’s not close to what I expected coming into this year.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I love when people point out defects to a players game, other people come in and say I disagree as if they‘re perfect players.

Even high selections can have things they could improve on.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Jesus, this guy has 25 points already???

He is tied for 3rd in scoring in the entire NCAA as a freshman...on defense.

Not sure how he doesn't go top 10 in the draft unless his defense is just absolutely dreadful.

guy is getting a lot of love as of late. He is listed at 6’2. But his skating is still bad

6'2? Everywhere i'm looking has him 5'10-5'11. Did he grow 3 inches in the last 6 months?

edit - I see on the Denver site they list him at 6'2. Quite the height differences from site to site. So he's probably around 6 foot.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
6'2? Everywhere i'm looking has him 5'10-5'11. Did he grow 3 inches in the last 6 months?

edit - I see on the Denver site they list him at 6'2. Quite the height differences from site to site. So he's probably around 6 foot.

It wouldn't be surprising if he's 6'2 now. He just turned 18 days ago and his brothers are 6'2 and 6'3.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm waiting for the World Juniors a little bit to see what I think about this big jump. I want to see if he can play a top 4 role on a medal contender, and play well. I don't think that would be a big ask for a late-birthday top 10 pick in their draft season.

I'm a little skeptical. Denver is a juggernaut, and it's not that hard to put up good numbers for them if you are playing a big role. It's really not the hardest team either to get good ice time, as they don't bring in the caliber of recruits that a team like Michigan, Minnesota, BU, BC do. It's the ideal place to get better.

Buium wasn't like the clear best defensemen on a very weak NTDP 18's blueline last season. He was somewhere in the conversation, but it wasn't obvious. None of those players were first round picks either. Does being one draft later make that much of a difference?

Players sometimes improve a lot though from season to season. I don't think I ever saw a top 10 range, but if he plays like a top 10 pick everywhere he plays this season, it's going to be hard to keep denying if he's a top 10 pick. I think I have him as a top 20 pick for now, but I'm willing to change my mind if he shows it at the World Juniors too.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Can anyone share videos of this bum? I can't find anything on him on youtube or elsewhere

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
You can look up some Denver game highlights on youtube to get a few gimpses. He's number 28.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad