LD Zeev Buium - University of Denver, NCAA (2024 Draft)

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I see little reason he can’t go second at this point.

It would be hella cool to see Celebrini-Buium-Levshunov go 1-2-3 for an all NCAA freshman sweep of the top spots. And an American, Canadian and Belarusian to boot, showing what a versatile path this is for top future stars.
Certainly worthy of a top 3 pick. He’s proven himself at every level, WJC, and college as a true freshman. When’s the last time a freshman dman scored at a 1.19 PPG pace?

Reactions: Rob

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Certainly worthy of a top 3 pick. He’s proven himself at every level, WJC, and college as a true freshman. When’s the last time a freshman dman scored at a 1.19 PPG pace?
If ducks and sharks go 2-3 I could def see both going dmen

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I mean I know you’re familiar but he’s a year younger than Hutson was. He should have been a senior in high school this year.
He said freshman, though. Not a dman eligible for the draft.

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
Zeev has a 2005 birthday. Most kids his age have graduated high school and are in college/university.
The kid that really should still be in high school is Celebrini.

Reactions: Breakers

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Zeev has a 2005 birthday. Most kids his age have graduated high school and are in college/university.
The kid that really should still be in high school is Celebrini.

I don’t know where you live but Zeev is a class of ‘24 high school graduate in the States and this statement is patently false. School years aren’t done by birth year like the NHL draft. Kids his age (September and later 05) are just graduating high school next month.

Celebrini just happens to have accelerated and is also young for his class which makes him seem extra young in college.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It wouldn't hurt, and would probably help, Buium to stay one more year in school. You want him to go straight into the NHL, not get cheapshotted in the AHL for a year.

Celbrini is talented as hell, but just so young. It's not just the physical, but the mental maturity for him. Would be nice for him to have another year of maturing in school with kids his own age rather than spending all his time with a bunch of Dads.

Reactions: montreal

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It wouldn't hurt, and would probably help, Buium to stay one more year in school. You want him to go straight into the NHL, not get cheapshotted in the AHL for a year.

Celbrini is talented as hell, but just so young. It's not just the physical, but the mental maturity for him. Would be nice for him to have another year of maturing in school with kids his own age rather than spending all his time with a bunch of Dads.
Celebrini will go pro. The other ncaa draft eligibles will go back.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Buium turned 18 9 weeks into the season,
Hutson turned 19 18 weeks into his Freshman year.

Hutson was 18 for almost 90% of his Freshman year and Buium was 17 for say 35% of his Freshman year so about 65% of the time he was 18.

If Buium was born 11 weeks sooner he would have gone in last summers draft.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If Buium was born 11 weeks sooner he would have gone in last summers draft.

Is this supposed to be meaningful? He wasn’t born on September 16, he was born 3 months after the cutoff.

If he were born less than a month later we wouldn’t even be having this conversation because apparently being born on January 1, 2006 would be visually more impressive for some.

If he born on the same day as me he’d have been eligible for the 1998 draft! Let’s keep these “if he was born on…” tags going! Who gives a crap what % of his freshman year he was 17 or 18…do we think this actually has some merit to him being more or less able to do what he does at this stage?

These are the facts. He’s a class of ‘24 high schooler who is instead destroying college hockey and stepped up his game under the brightest, most intense lights.

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
Not true at all for American kids atleast.
Ok. Didn't know that. Here in Western Canada it's January 1, in fact a lot of kids born before February 15 start school a year early. This coming June will see kids born 2006 graduate from grade 12 as well as some kids born before February 15 2007.

Reactions: BKarchitect

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Is this supposed to be meaningful? He wasn’t born on September 16, he was born 3 months after the cutoff.

If he were born less than a month later we wouldn’t even be having this conversation because apparently being born on January 1, 2006 would be visually more impressive for some.

If he born on the same day as me he’d have been eligible for the 1998 draft! Let’s keep these “if he was born on…” tags going! Who gives a crap what % of his freshman year he was 17 or 18…do we think this actually has some merit to him being more or less able to do what he does at this stage?

These are the facts. He’s a class of ‘24 high schooler who is instead destroying college hockey and stepped up his game under the brightest, most intense lights.
There’s that one guy here that insists every draft that every kid with a late birthday should be assessed using the year prior (D -1) tape. I can’t imagine an opinion that would get you laughed out of a scouting room quicker than that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don’t know where you live but Zeev is a class of ‘24 high school graduate in the States and this statement is patently false. School years aren’t done by birth year like the NHL draft. Kids his age (September and later 05) are just graduating high school next month.

Celebrini just happens to have accelerated and is also young for his class which makes him seem extra young in college.

It isn't uniform. My '04 born child is finishing his 2-year college degree this year while my '06 child is graduating HS this year.

Reactions: Mattb124

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
There’s that one guy here that insists every draft that every kid with a late birthday should be assessed using the year prior (D -1) tape. I can’t imagine an opinion that would get you laughed out of a scouting room quicker than that.

Not directly related to Buium, but there's a scouting personality here in Quebec who often used the birthdate as the tiebreaker in his draft rankings (Dal Colle > Draisaitl, Laine > Matthews, for example), and man did he get bit in the ass with that as he's been able to admit.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Not true at all for American kids atleast.
My brother is a December birthday and turned 18 during his senior year of high school. Especially for boys, it’s extremely common for parents to enter their sons into school so that they’ll be on the older end of their same-grade peers. Just a few months at that age matters. Buium could easily be a senior in high school this year if his parents had followed that line of thought.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

That's not at all the argument I made, but fire away at that strawman.

You don't assess a late birthday ('05 this year) with a normal draft birthyear ('06) based on what the '05 did the previous year (their 17YR old development year) rather you try to predict how the '06 will develop and how they will do in their 18YR old development year (where Buium and other '05s are now).

In simpler terms, scouts get to see Buium play an extra development year before getting to draft him, which is great for Buium since he's taken a massive step forward this year.

Truly unbelievable you fail to grasp this basic concept.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
My brother is a December birthday and turned 18 during his senior year of high school. Especially for boys, it’s extremely common for parents to enter their sons into school so that they’ll be on the older end of their same-grade peers. Just a few months at that age matters. Buium could easily be a senior in high school this year if his parents had followed that line of thought.
Most everyone in the states has Sept 1 or August 15 cutoff. I turned 18 Jan of my senior year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad