LD Sean Day (2016, 81st, NYR) II

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Day will likely be picked in the 2nd round this year. There are scouts that have said he is the best skater they have ever seen. He has had to endure family health issues and the incarceration of his brother, have all contribute to his poor season, He is well worth a 2nd round pick.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
If he played all year like he has in these playoffs he'd be a 1st round pick.

He's finally finding a way to make the simple plays. Not dipsy doodle too much with the puck, playing within himself and not trying to do too much individually, Using his teammates and utilizing that cannon of a shot.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Despite his issues he still projects at around #24 on our list for dmen this year.

He could end up beign good value if he drops to the third round, but before that there will be better players available.

I'd take Day over Stanley personally. Stanley sets off every warning bell regarding modern NHL scouting there is. He is exactly the kind of player scouts outsmart themselves with and up taking far too early.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Despite his issues he still projects at around #24 on our list for dmen this year.

He could end up beign good value if he drops to the third round, but before that there will be better players available.

I'd take Day over Stanley personally. Stanley sets off every warning bell regarding modern NHL scouting there is. He is exactly the kind of player scouts outsmart themselves with and up taking far too early.

The Jets will draft Day early in 2nd round for so many positive reasons. He's a LHD, great skater, suffered through so much personal trauma how could it not effect him, once he gets grounded and motivated he'd be a very good defensive defenseman with upside and finally why not take a flyer with someone with this amount of raw talent?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
The Jets will draft Day early in 2nd round for so many positive reasons. He's a LHD, great skater, suffered through so much personal trauma how could it not effect him, once he gets grounded and motivated he'd be a very good defensive defenseman no with upside and finally why not take a flyer with someone with this amount of raw talent?

Because their will likely be far better flyers still available?

Taking day in the early second is akin to passing over 50 dollar lottery winner for a 20 dollar one.

It's just not great value at that position.

Sure you can account for off ice things, but it's important to make sure you out the same detail and vetting into the guys your picking him over as well.

Their are a number of forwards and D that I suspect will still be available that would be far better value.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
^ DAY will have GMs biting their arms up and saying
"dammit ahould have taken the kid...."

after top5 anyways this draft is a crapshoot

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
^ DAY will have GMs biting their arms up and saying
"dammit ahould have taken the kid...."

after top5 anyways this draft is a crapshoot
No they really won't. The kid has issues, and maybe he figures it all out. Or he ends up like Kabanov and Beech.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
No they really won't. The kid has issues, and maybe he figures it all out. Or he ends up like Kabanov and Beech.

Everyone knows he hasn't lived up to expectations and the mental part of his game isn't close to being where you'd like it to be. But the guy has the size and talent to be a top 3 player in the draft so I can't see him falling too far. He's the ultimate lottery pick and I would be upset if the Leafs passed on him with their Washington pick. The odds of a late 2nd rounder turning out are slim anyways and teams with lots of safe prospects will take a swing for the fences with Day.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Reminds me of Kabanov in the hype a little bit (purely hype, not skill level) as in high risk high reward. Seems like a lot of fans realize he could bust but wouldn’t be upset with their team taking a chance on him, even with a high pick.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Everyone knows he hasn't lived up to expectations and the mental part of his game isn't close to being where you'd like it to be. But the guy has the size and talent to be a top 3 player in the draft so I can't see him falling too far. He's the ultimate lottery pick and I would be upset if the Leafs passed on him with their Washington pick. The odds of a late 2nd rounder turning out are slim anyways and teams with lots of safe prospects will take a swing for the fences with Day.
He doesn't have the work ethic, that will scare a lot of teams away, and the only elite aspect of his game is skating. Outside of his skating, I can't think of anything that would make you think he has top 3 talent. Someone like Chychrun is just as physically skilled but isn't a lock for a top 3 pick, and he has 10 times the skill level of day. This kid is a very flawed player, and Toronto would be a disaster for him.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
He doesn't have the work ethic, that will scare a lot of teams away, and the only elite aspect of his game is skating. Outside of his skating, I can't think of anything that would make you think he has top 3 talent. Someone like Chychrun is just as physically skilled but isn't a lock for a top 3 pick, and he has 10 times the skill level of day. This kid is a very flawed player, and Toronto would be a disaster for him.

Work ethic is something guys can improve on, it was said to be a weakness of Kadri's for awhile too. The media in Toronto is ruthless, but I think there are enough guys who are more highly touted that the spotlight won't be on him too much. His skating is elite and even if he never improved it he'll still be a great skater at the NHL level. He also has the size and can shoot the puck. I like to think that Toronto's top coach and improved development system can improve the rest of his game. Beyond his decision making I don't see a single skill which will prevent him from being a good NHL defenseman. So the question becomes can the team which drafts him be able to improve his decision making to the point where he can stop being a liability. For me, it's worth the gamble. What is the point of having a great coach and development system if you have to draft the guys with the best hockey IQ every draft? In the mid to late 2nd round I see no reason for the leafs not to gamble on him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Work ethic is something guys can improve on, it was said to be a weakness of Kadri's for awhile too. The media in Toronto is ruthless, but I think there are enough guys who are more highly touted that the spotlight won't be on him too much. His skating is elite and even if he never improved it he'll still be a great skater at the NHL level. He also has the size and can shoot the puck. I like to think that Toronto's top coach and improved development system can improve the rest of his game. Beyond his decision making I don't see a single skill which will prevent him from being a good NHL defenseman. So the question becomes can the team which drafts him be able to improve his decision making to the point where he can stop being a liability. For me, it's worth the gamble. What is the point of having a great coach and development system if you have to draft the guys with the best hockey IQ every draft? In the mid to late 2nd round I see no reason for the leafs not to gamble on him.
He's not a smart player, and hasn't improved in 3 years. He doesn't have the hockey IQ to excel at the next level, that is what will stop him from being an NHL player. Its not the media I'd be worried about, its the 1000 other distractions available to a young leaf. If he has trouble committing while not making money, then it could get worse. I think our new staff will focus on guys who will work hard and want to develop, not to try miracle projects. Kadri steadily progressed, and his work ethic was no where near as bad as days. Day showed up to a make or break year 30 to 40 pounds overweight.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
He's not a smart player, and hasn't improved in 3 years. He doesn't have the hockey IQ to excel at the next level, that is what will stop him from being an NHL player. Its not the media I'd be worried about, its the 1000 other distractions available to a young leaf. If he has trouble committing while not making money, then it could get worse. I think our new staff will focus on guys who will work hard and want to develop, not to try miracle projects. Kadri steadily progressed, and his work ethic was no where near as bad as days. Day showed up to a make or break year 30 to 40 pounds overweight.

he can afford to play overweight because his skating is so good. It's not like Luke Schenn who didn't have a step to lose. He doesn't need to become a high IQ player to be an NHL defenseman, he just needs to be ok in that department. As for working hard, I'm skeptical his work ethic is so bad that he should be blackballed, especially given the circumstances he has had to deal with this year. I think it's worth the risk given our prospect depth, if you disagree that's your right. The right answer won't be known for years down the road anyways

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
he can afford to play overweight because his skating is so good. It's not like Luke Schenn who didn't have a step to lose. He doesn't need to become a high IQ player to be an NHL defenseman, he just needs to be ok in that department. As for working hard, I'm skeptical his work ethic is so bad that he should be blackballed, especially given the circumstances he has had to deal with this year. I think it's worth the risk given our prospect depth, if you disagree that's your right. The right answer won't be known for years down the road anyways
Trust me, his work ethic is bad, and really against the culture Babs, Lou and Shanahan have been trying to create. He's been trying to force his way off the Steelheads since last year, flat out just left the bench for no reason one game and acts entitled. Luke Schenn put on too much muscle (which was a bad thing), Day showed up to the U-18 camp 30 to 40 pounds overweight, and it wasn't muscle. He seems burnt out on the game, and he never should of been given exceptional status. I also think he's a low IQ player, and not much can fix that. I'm not saying blackball him but I def don't want him taken with one of our first 4 picks. I could easily see him having an Ebert like slide.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think he's going to go higher than people expect. Yeah he's fat.... but he's an amazing skater while being fat.

Some team is going to think that they can get him to shape up and will take him in the 20s. IMO they'll say to themselves that he can go pro after 1 year and enter the AHL at 19 where they have him under their watch. (4 years of junior... similar to Spezza at 19).

If he trims down to 215-220 and gets groomed the right way, the upside is huge. It's true that he hasn't produced at an elite level in junior, but Jonathan Drouin held out, acted like a ***** with team Canada, demanded a trade, walked off of a team and bemoaned a strong sense of entitlement and was still a 3rd overall pick and in quite the demand by other teams.

There will always be teams that think that they can turn character and fitness issues around.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
A lot of the complaints sound like Byfuglien not so long ago. Of course Byfuglien didn't come with the hype and was a late round pick but you have to think at least a couple teams will look to swing for the fences and hope for an outcome even close to Buff

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I hope the Red Wings draft him. If they make the playoffs why not use their first on him? Big, fast and can shoot. He can improve on lots of things as he matures

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Looks like a lot of people aren't seeing the issue. Yes, Day has poor work ethic and was out of shape. Sure, that could be corrected. But that is NOT the reason many of us believe he won't be a good player. The issue with Day is that he's as dumb as a cinderblock on the ice. He has absolutely no clue what to do out there. Look how that had worked out for Yakupov. The difference is, Yakupov was at least good enough to look like a player in the OHL. Day on the other hand is too dumb for juniors, forget the pro leagues. He looks bad out there against kids, and hasn't improved that aspect one bit in the last few years.

But yeah, keep being dazzled by his "exceptional status" and skating.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Trust me, his work ethic is bad, and really against the culture Babs, Lou and Shanahan have been trying to create. He's been trying to force his way off the Steelheads since last year, flat out just left the bench for no reason one game and acts entitled. Luke Schenn put on too much muscle (which was a bad thing), Day showed up to the U-18 camp 30 to 40 pounds overweight, and it wasn't muscle. He seems burnt out on the game, and he never should of been given exceptional status. I also think he's a low IQ player, and not much can fix that. I'm not saying blackball him but I def don't want him taken with one of our first 4 picks. I could easily see him having an Ebert like slide.

You fail to mention the timing of his lack of work ethic to the situation with his brother and the health of his mother. Im not here to make excuses for the kid, and maybe his character isn't strong enough to endure the challenges he has faced. But here is the reality of the situation, unlike Macfarland and Kabanov and the many others, Day has faced some serious real challenges. No question. I will not speak to them here, but all this information is available on line to research for those who do not know. My point is Day is extremely talented and has had serious personal issues to deal with. Kabanov and others had work ethic issues and character issues, but none have had to face what Day has; not one bit. He has excellent size and all world skating abilities.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You fail to mention the timing of his lack of work ethic to the situation with his brother and the health of his mother. Im not here to make excuses for the kid, and maybe his character isn't strong enough to endure the challenges he has faced. But here is the reality of the situation, unlike Macfarland and Kabanov and the many others, Day has faced some serious real challenges. No question. I will not speak to them here, but all this information is available on line to research for those who do not know. My point is Day is extremely talented and has had serious personal issues to deal with. Kabanov and others had work ethic issues and character issues, but none have had to face what Day has; not one bit. He has excellent size and all world skating abilities.
I'm sorry, but his work ethic issues existed long before his brother was an inconsiderate idiot, and his mother was sick. May it of made it worse yes, but he was far from perfect before these incidents. Tons of Jr. hockey players have everyday problems we never hear about. He''s also lacked hockey IQ since he arrived.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I'm sorry, but his work ethic issues existed long before his brother was an inconsiderate idiot, and his mother was sick. May it of made it worse yes, but he was far from perfect before these incidents. Tons of Jr. hockey players have everyday problems we never hear about. He''s also lacked hockey IQ since he arrived.

So plenty of hockey players and people in life have gone through what Day has in a short period of time? Please site the case (S) I look forward to seeing them. You already have a bias which is evident in your post. Nothing wrong with that, jus sad that you give no credence as to what he has gone through and how that very likely has had an effect on him. You go as far to not only diminish it, but claim is commonplace. That s a juvenile and ignorant assessment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad