LD Ryan Lindgren (2016, 49th, BOS; traded to NYR)

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I think Skjei and Trouba are going to be the top pair for the Rangers this year. Staal/DeAngelo is your 2nd pair, leaving Hajek/Lindgren as your 5/6 combo and Smith as #7 and rightfully in the press box most evenings. I have watched Fox and he is just not ready to play NHL minutes, he is leaky defensively and isn't a great skater, I think he starts the season in Hartford. JMHO.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I think Skjei and Trouba are going to be the top pair for the Rangers this year. Staal/DeAngelo is your 2nd pair, leaving Hajek/Lindgren as your 5/6 combo and Smith as #7 and rightfully in the press box most evenings. I have watched Fox and he is just not ready to play NHL minutes, he is leaky defensively and isn't a great skater, I think he starts the season in Hartford. JMHO.
This is a terrible take. Fox has been head and shoulders better than their other defensemen in the preseason.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This is a terrible take. Fox has been head and shoulders better than their other defensemen in the preseason.
Have to agree. Maybe Fox isn't the quickest and fastest defender but he more than makes up for it with his intelligent play and poise with the puck in tough spots.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didn't make the team, and it's completely unfair to this kid.

Hajek was the "supposed" big piece of a terrible trade, and management keeps giving him spots he doesn't earn because they are still trying to justify a bad trade instead of admitting their mistake. Lindgren outplayed him, and is currently a better player. I don't even know that Hajek has higher upside. It's not as if he's shown any offense the last few seasons. He could've been given a spot over Smith, but Smith's a veteran and you'd rather have a veteran in the press-box than a kid. Smith also plays winger (not very well) at times, so he has "versatility" that Lindgren doesn't. The coach has said that factors into the roster decisions.

He should request a trade because I don't know when his chance is going to come with this team. He played about as well as he could've in training camp. The best option for the open spot, Rykov, missed the whole training camp due to injury, and Lindgren still didn't make the team. It's not going to get easier next season either when Miller joins, and Reunanen and Robertson have better chances to make the team.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Didn't make the team, and it's completely unfair to this kid.

Hajek was the "supposed" big piece of a terrible trade, and management keeps giving him spots he doesn't earn because they are still trying to justify a bad trade instead of admitting their mistake. Lindgren outplayed him, and is currently a better player. I don't even know that Hajek has higher upside. It's not as if he's shown any offense the last few seasons. He could've been given a spot over Smith, but Smith's a veteran and you'd rather have a veteran in the press-box than a kid. Smith also plays winger (not very well) at times, so he has "versatility" that Lindgren doesn't. The coach has said that factors into the roster decisions.

He should request a trade because I don't know when his chance is going to come with this team. He played about as well as he could've in training camp. The best option for the open spot, Rykov, missed the whole training camp due to injury, and Lindgren still didn't make the team. It's not going to get easier next season either when Miller joins, and Reunanen and Robertson have better chances to make the team.

I really liked Lindgren and what he has shown so far with his grit and ability to play in his own zone even against guys bigger than him but I think you are being a bit unfair regarding Hajek. I think he deserves some time to show what he can bring. He was playing well last year (I know small sample size) before he hurt his shoulder which required him to shut it down for the rest of the season.
Let's give Hajek 10-15 games and see what he can do. I am sure Lindgren will be there knocking at the door if Hajek fails to impress in the regular season. He only got 5 games last year I believe before his injury (and scored a nice goal).
And I still think Robertson and Miller are 2021 candidates but I could be wrong about the latter. If Miller wants to leave school he probably will contend for a spot next year but I hope Miller, Robertson, Nils all show up and grab a spot in 2021.
Btw I know right now Hajek/Howden don't look amazing but if Nils continues his upward trajectory in his development and he becomes a top 3/4 dman that trade wouldn't be deemed horrendous (and at the time I wasn't a fan of the return either).

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really liked Lindgren and what he has shown so far with his grit and ability to play in his own zone even against guys bigger than him but I think you are being a bit unfair regarding Hajek. I think he deserves some time to show what he can bring. He was playing well last year (I know small sample size) before he hurt his shoulder which required him to shut it down for the rest of the season.
Let's give Hajek 10-15 games and see what he can do. I am sure Lindgren will be there knocking at the door if Hajek fails to impress in the regular season. He only got 5 games last year I believe before his injury (and scored a nice goal).
And I still think Robertson and Miller are 2021 candidates but I could be wrong about the latter. If Miller wants to leave school he probably will contend for a spot next year but I hope Miller, Robertson, Nils all show up and grab a spot in 2021.
Btw I know right now Hajek/Howden don't look amazing but if Nils continues his upward trajectory in his development and he becomes a top 3/4 dman that trade wouldn't be deemed horrendous (and at the time I wasn't a fan of the return either).

I'm not anti-Hajek. I think he might be able to play as a 6th defensemen and he wasn't bad in preseason, but the issue is that you are talking in terms of him deserving some time to show what he can bring. Thats the whole issue. Why would he deserve that?

He was terrible in the AHL last season. He came up to the NHL and looked good for a few games, but so what? Lindgren looked good in a few games, as well, and actually played well in the AHL, unlike Hajek. I don't see what Hajek has done to be an incumbent over Lindgren. He should have had to outplay him to earn a spot. Neither player is proven enough that they should come into camp with a spot.but Hajek's given star treatment by the team. It clearly effected Lindgren making the team. If they were in a 50/50 competition for a spot, Lindgren makes it.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I'm not anti-Hajek. I think he might be able to play as a 6th defensemen and he wasn't bad in preseason, but the issue is that you are talking in terms of him deserving some time to show what he can bring. Thats the whole issue. Why would he deserve that?

He was terrible in the AHL last season. He came up to the NHL and looked good for a few games, but so what? Lindgren looked good in a few games, as well, and actually played well in the AHL, unlike Hajek. I don't see what Hajek has done to be an incumbent over Lindgren. He should have had to outplay him to earn a spot. Neither player is proven enough that they should come into camp with a spot.but Hajek's given star treatment by the team. It clearly effected Lindgren making the team. If they were in a 50/50 competition for a spot, Lindgren makes it.

If this argument were correct, why isn’t Filip Chytil centering the 3rd line with Howden in the AHL?

While I don’t agree with your argument of the Rangers favoring star power, I do think Lindgren was better and earned a spot.

Reactions: bl02

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If this argument were correct, why isn’t Filip Chytil centering the 3rd line with Howden in the AHL?

While I don’t agree with your argument of the Rangers favoring star power, I do think Lindgren was better and earned a spot.

I'm not saying the Rangers made decisions based on star power. I'm saying that Hajek gets treated completely differently than other players in the organization because of the McDonagh trade. They are trying to justify him as the key piece in that trade. They whiffed on their initial evaluation of him. He gets treated as a star. He's clearly not one. Lindgren should've made the team over him.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm not saying the Rangers made decisions based on star power. I'm saying that Hajek gets treated completely differently than other players in the organization because of the McDonagh trade. They are trying to justify him as the key piece in that trade. They whiffed on their initial evaluation of him. He gets treated as a star. He's clearly not one. Lindgren should've made the team over him.
How did they whiff ? I think a bit premature to conclude that. He’s a 21 year old defenseman. These guys take time to develop. He’s played 5 nhl games. I’m sure many thought the lightning, Arizona and the Rangers whiffed on DeAngelo.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This guy has been great so far in Hartford, and the left side of the Rangers defense sucks.

I feel bad that he’s not getting a shot he’s more than earned. Some smart NHL team should trade for him. Definite NHL’er immediately.
he has always been one of those guys that just flies under the radar..does the little things right, is a leader, but once he gets that chance he will be hard to take out of the lineup..Hawks would love him if he was a RD...

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This guy has been great so far in Hartford, and the left side of the Rangers defense sucks.

I feel bad that he’s not getting a shot he’s more than earned. Some smart NHL team should trade for him. Definite NHL’er immediately.
I agree. I feel he has enough talent to make it along with his competitiveness on the ice. I could see him being a guy that coaches will really like having on their defense.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Once the ranger's defense suffers an injury they'll be in an interesting spot once they see he outplays Staal easily.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Once the ranger's defense suffers an injury they'll be in an interesting spot once they see he outplays Staal easily.
It won't matter unfortunately. Staal isn't gonna be benched/scratched.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree. I feel he has enough talent to make it along with his competitiveness on the ice. I could see him being a guy that coaches will really like having on their defense.

The goalies would also love having him back there instead of the calamity we have on the left-side.

Reactions: bl02

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Finally recalled.

Hajek has been trash, so hopefully Lindgren gets into the lineup over him.

So has Staal and Skjei, but veterans keep their spots, so the best we can hope for here is Lindgren over Hajek.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
His game isn't flashy but fundamentally sound. I would love to see shot suppression numbers once he plays more games. Every team needs guys like this especially when protecting a lead.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Easily the most improved player on the Rangers this season. Lindgren is a beast. Lockdown defensive player who’ll also dive in front of any puck and he’s more capable moving pucks and contributing to the offensive possession play. He’s elevated his ceiling.
Fits perfectly with Fox too and whether coincidence or not since he got called up Fox has even been better.
I'm enjoying his progression. You could tell even in the preseason the guy brought intensity to games that most of the other players didn't. Plays bigger than his size and moves really well in his zone and no reason he can't hit 25-30 points.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad