LD Ryan Lindgren (2016, 49th, BOS; traded to NYR)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I've been on a Shattuck kick recently, I was sent some videos of a couple Shattuck games last week and I couldn't tell who this one D-man was that was lighting it up and outplaying everyone on the ice. I took a look at the season stats and guessed it was Lindgren and it was confirmed by the guy who sent me the games. Kid looks like the real deal and I forgot to pay attention to the guy I was planning on watching (Brett Crossley) :laugh:

I wanna see him and Werenski in a game together, Lindgren is easily the best D-man I've seen in the age range of Werenski so far.

EP Profile:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=226442

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's certainly putting up some impressive stats. Not sure what size he is currently but his older brother is Charlie Lindgren (Sioux Fall's goalie and an SCSU commit) who is 6'1 so hopefully Ryan will be of at least a similar size.

It's probably too early to say much about him and other young defenders. Werenski is highly touted but a lot of folks like Noah Hanifin as much if not more. Also, Sean Day is a highly touted '98 d-man and has drawn raves as well playing Midget Minor this season.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Any updates on the kid? Sounds like a huge talent from what I've heard.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
He's a '98 and made the Prep team for Shattuck. His offensive production isn't silly like it was at younger levels so I'm sure people will discredit him but it's nonsense. I haven't seen him with the Prep team yet but I've heard he's held his own thus far, just hasn't had the offense we're use to seeing from him.

He's committed to Univ. of Minnesota and the Brandon Wheat Kings drafted him in the 8th round of last years Bantam draft.

No updated height/weight on him lately.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's a '98 and made the Prep team for Shattuck. His offensive production isn't silly like it was at younger levels so I'm sure people will discredit him but it's nonsense. He's committed to Univ. of Minnesota.

No updated height/weight on him lately.

Well back in April he was listed same height as his brother Charlie at 6'1. Weight wise not sure was listed at 190 but he was under 6 ft back then so he could be 200 + by now. http://overtheboards.net/shattuck-bantam-phenom-ryan-lindgren-commits-to-minnesota/

If I'm not mistaken he is playing this year with players much older is he not?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Well back in April he was listed same height as his brother Charlie at 6'1. Weight wise not sure was listed at 190 but he was under 6 ft back then so he could be 200 +. http://overtheboards.net/shattuck-bantam-phenom-ryan-lindgren-commits-to-minnesota/

If I'm not mistaken he is playing this year with players much older is he not?

he & Clayton Keller are the only '98s on the Shattuck Prep team this year.

Last year the only underage like that to play prep was Nathan Noel and he was discredited by many because of his production drop off, it annoyed me to no end.

I like that description of him in the article though:
With an excess of both natural talent and strength, Lindgren possesses a powerful stride that gets him down the ice alarmingly fast for such a hulking skater. That said, we hesitate to call him ‘explosive’. Instead, Lindgren grits his teeth and simply makes things happen all over the ice with force of will. With a hell of a shot and maturity far ahead of his years, Lindgren has the strength to make forwards regret crossing him and the ability to keep the puck away from them on retrievals.

with the exception of "grits his teeth" and "hulking skater", I couldn't have said it better myself :sarcasm:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
LD Ryan Lindgren - USNTDP (2016, 49th, BOS)

6'0 200lbs - steady 2-way defenseman -Minnesota Gopher recruit -

not much talk on this kid, but very reliable and smart - pretty solid chance at making the WJC team next year.

thoughts on his upside?

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
6'0 200lbs - steady 2-way defenseman -Minnesota Gopher recruit -

not much talk on this kid, but very reliable and smart - pretty solid chance at making the WJC team next year.

thoughts on his upside?

I think Lindgren is really flying under the radar in this draft. I could see him being a DeKeyser/Braun type NHLer.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
So little talk on Lindgren. I quite like him and would rate him over Krys at this point. Should end up a solid #4/5 guy.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So little talk on Lindgren. I quite like him and would rate him over Krys at this point. Should end up a solid #4/5 guy.

IMG_1897.JPG

I liked Lindgren the best of the USNTDP blue line this year from the handful of times I got to watch. Seemed like a jack of all trades kinda guy whereas Fox/Krys will be the guys with more of an offensive slant.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
One of my favourite. He's not seen like an offensive threat and thats why he didnt received more recognition actually. But like written upper, he already made it in the past, still a great 1st pass, have a pretty good shot (He just dont use it) and his skating abilities are great. He remembers me Ryan Mcdonagh when he played with the Badgers. He also reminds me Scott Stevens sometimes. He can be a punisher and read the perfect moment to give a huge hit and being a such a great leader with a great hockey IQ. I think this guy will win a cup someday.

Stay away from him and let my team "wastes" a pick on him. :yo:

RoR21

May 24, 2011
You wouldn't draft a top 4-6 dman until the 3rd round? Interesting

4-6 in the draft? Lindgren is not that, a 4-6 potential guy he is but there's high upside guys than him. I have him in my second round but could see him fall

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
I really like Lindgren. Very underrated, does everything well. And still his best assets are his character and his leadership. I would love him on Habs LD depth chart and I could imagine Timmins and Bergevin liking him a lot.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I would LOVE him at 55th or 61st but I wouldn't be upset if the Maple Leafs draft him at 31.

I like Lindgren a lot. I think he can be a staple for a decade+.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
4-6 in the draft? Lindgren is not that, a 4-6 potential guy he is but there's high upside guys than him. I have him in my second round but could see him fall

No, I was questioning why somebody wouldn't take a guy they could see becoming a top 4 to top 6 defenceman until the 3rd round, didn't mean that he was a top 4-6 guy in the draft lol

Henchmen 21

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I'd love it if the Leafs could snag him at 55, feel someone will reach on him in the top 40 and be totally rewarded for it.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
This guy just makes the right play all the time. Good mobility and just plays heads up, smart and in control.

Don't know if his size or lack of any true elite skill will hold him back from being an everyday player eventually, but he is a very likeable player when you watch him for a few games... the kind of player a coach can really rely on to do a bit of everything and come back mistake free. A lot of likeable intangible qualities that you can see in his on-ice play if you examine him closely..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad