LD Rasmus Sandin - Rogle BK, SHL (2018, 29th, TOR)

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You said a lot more than that about Liljegren when he was coming off injuries last year. Including throwing a hissy fit when he started off rusty and didn’t meet your expectations, and throwing Liljegren under the bus as a prospect. Look at him now, dominating the AHL at 20 and getting NHL games. You might’ve been back on board about now if you hadn’t broken both your ankles jumping off the bandwagon so hard last year.

There is no way I would want to be back on the bandwagon. Liljegren didn't have a good first game. Tulloch correctly gave him 1-star for the game last night (on a scale of 1 to 5). He played well in AHL playoffs last year (but not as well as many claim), he played terrible in the preseason, was not good (neither was Sandin) in either of AHL games I was at this season (although he played well in a couple games I watched on tv) and then was not good in his debut. I know what he is and isn't. His likely potential is a better than average third pairing guy who throws off some amazing passes but makes poor decisions and is ok defensively. He might become a below average #4. I hope he gets a couple more games this season, but it wouldn't surprise if he doesn't.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
There is no way I would want to be back on the bandwagon. Liljegren didn't have a good first game. Tulloch correctly gave him 1-star for the game last night (on a scale of 1 to 5). He played well in AHL playoffs last year (but not as well as many claim), he played terrible in the preseason, was not good (neither was Sandin) in either of AHL games I was at this season (although he played well in a couple games I watched on tv) and then was not good in his debut. I know what he is and isn't. His likely potential is a better than average third pairing guy who throws off some amazing passes but makes poor decisions and is ok defensively. He might become a below average #4. I hope he gets a couple more games this season, but it wouldn't surprise if he doesn't.
Liljegren had a 61 CF% and had a 52 xGF%. He was making plenty of clean breakout passes all night and made one mistake turning the puck over at the opposing blue line. That one mistake should not have led to a goal against anyways as the Leafs had 4 back to defend the rush. All this is telling me is that both you and Tulloch are delusional.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Re: the talk of Lilj being better in the AHL than Sandin. That doesn't always matter. Some skills translate better. Usage is different, etc.

Reactions: biotk

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Liljegren had a 61 CF% and had a 52 xGF%. He was making plenty of clean breakout passes all night and made one mistake turning the puck over at the opposing blue line. That one mistake should not have led to a goal against anyways as the Leafs had 4 back to defend the rush. All this is telling me is that both you and Tulloch are delusional.
Saw that game as well, Liljegren was not good at all, especially for his age and pedigree. Don’t think he has much upside. Sandin was impressive offensively and physically but his defense and speed is an issue

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Saw that game as well, Liljegren was not good at all, especially for his age and pedigree. Don’t think he has much upside. Sandin was impressive offensively and physically but his defense and speed is an issue

You've concluded with a 1 game sample size that at age 20 he is a disappointment being an NHL dman and won't amount to anything.

No bias here.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
You've concluded with a 1 game sample size that at age 20 he is a disappointment being an NHL dman and won't amount to anything.

No bias here.
Y’all love to play victim. I never said that lol. I’ve never really been a fan and from my viewings of him he hasn’t been impressive. Could be a solid 3/4 but I don’t see much upside. U sound so hurt lol

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Y’all love to play victim. I never said that lol. I’ve never really been a fan and from my viewings of him he hasn’t been impressive. Could be a solid 3/4 but I don’t see much upside. U sound so hurt lol

No, you did say that.

Saw that game as well, Liljegren was not good at all, especially for his age and pedigree. Don’t think he has much upside.

What else can this be interpreted as aside from you saying you watched 1 game and concluded that for his age (20) he has no upside due to what you call a "not good" game.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
No, you did say that.

What else can this be interpreted as aside from you saying you watched 1 game and concluded that for his age (20) he has no upside due to what you call a "not good" game.
I haven’t only watched one game of him though. You’re assuming things to play victim. He’s just not that good and you can quote me in a few years and I’ll gladly accept it if he turns out great. My projection of a decent middle pair defenseman isn’t far off

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I haven’t only watched one game of him though. You’re assuming things to play victim. He’s just not that good and you can quote me in a few years and I’ll gladly accept it if he turns out great. My projection of a decent middle pair defenseman isn’t far off

Right. I am a TO fan and know how hard it is to get Marlies games outside of the GTA. I am sure you are regularly watching the Leafs AHL team..

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Isn't that kind of contradictory? If you think he isn't good but will turn into a middle pair defensemen which in theory would be a good player.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Isn't that kind of contradictory? If you think he isn't good but will turn into a middle pair defensemen which in theory would be a good player.
A decent middle pair. I meant Low end 3 maybe high end 4 is his upside to me

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
He will be a better PP QB than Barrie or Rielly are.

Fair assessment in general, but Rielly/Barrie are elite/all-star offensive PMDs, with great vision in the offensive zone. Saying he will be a better PP QB than both of them is quite optimistic.

That would make him a Karlsson/generational level offensive D, which I don't see.

I still think the kid will be good, really good. He's just not ready for the bigs on a team that wants to compete for a cup. I see in a way the Spurgeon comparison, but Spurgeon is an excellent skater, which is not Sandin biggest strenght. Sandin is obviously bigger, also.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Mar 12, 2009
lol "for his age". If he was from the CHL, this would be his first year of pro eligibility. People keep talking like he's in his D+5.
you sound like you are projecting re: being hurt/playing victim. Walking things back when someone points out he's 20 after you mention he's not doing well "for his age" lmao. I like the high schooler texting style of writing too.
A decent middle pair. I meant Low end 3 maybe high end 4 is his upside to me
You don't seem to know what you mean.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

No bias here.

People eh lol

You just have to shake your head sometimes.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Had easily his best game of the season against Nashville - IMO he was our best dman period that game. The assist to Nylander was crazy nice, love not just the execution, but how quickly he identified the opportunity. Most guys wouldn’t even think to make that pass with plenty of time, Sandin made it the second he got the puck. He was also rock solid all game outside of the goal and assist, excellent positioning and smarts, didn’t notice him making a single mistake/poor decision.

Really love him as a prospect, his hockey IQ is special, he’s very skilled with the puck, and decently physical for a young PMD. I’d like to see him improve his speed/acceleration, which is a clear weakness - if he can become even average there, he’s gonna be a hell of a dman.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
What Pedigree? The one that's been constantly shit on by Leafs haters? LOL give me a f***ing break.

This kid has been through so much adversity and injury/ health trouble so early in his career and managed to do nothing but overcome every obstacle and keep a smile on his face. There aren't a ton of 20 year old D-men in the league who aren't already "premiere" prospects. Something that non-Leafs fans fail to give Lilly credit for being. So what are we ripping on the kid for? If anything it should be praised that he made his NHL debut at age 20/21 and he's holding down the d-core for a beat up Marlies squad. Not bad for an overhyped will amount to nothing, average at best prospect, EH?

For the record, there have been 13 NHL d-men with 1 NHL game under their belt this season who are below the age of 21.

Hughes
Dahlin
Heiskanen
Jokiharju
Boqvist
Sandin
Heinola
Dobson
Brannstrom
Bjornfot
Fehervary
Vaakanainen
Lilly

Also for the record. Lilly hasn't been handed a call up. This kid has been far away the best Marlies Dman. A good amount better than Sandin. And yes I do watch Marlies games. And yes Bob MacK may not have time to watch many Marlies games but he sure as hell has insiders and hookups that he trusts enough to PIMP Lilly on national TV. So **** me haters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Namikaze Minato

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Had easily his best game of the season against Nashville - IMO he was our best dman period that game. The assist to Nylander was crazy nice, love not just the execution, but how quickly he identified the opportunity. Most guys wouldn’t even think to make that pass with plenty of time, Sandin made it the second he got the puck. He was also rock solid all game outside of the goal and assist, excellent positioning and smarts, didn’t notice him making a single mistake/poor decision.

Really love him as a prospect, his hockey IQ is special, he’s very skilled with the puck, and decently physical for a young PMD. I’d like to see him improve his speed/acceleration, which is a clear weakness - if he can become even average there, he’s gonna be a hell of a dman.
His assist to Nylander reminded me of that pass Erik Karlsson made to Mike Hoffman in the 2017 playoffs, especially when you see it from this angle.

Reactions: ponder

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
He needs a steady partner, something Toronto just can't provide right now on RD. I'd rather he go back to the AHL than play 13 mins a night with Marincin/Ceci/Barrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad