LD Rasmus Sandin - Rogle BK, SHL (2018, 29th, TOR)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Right. He is a bad skater because you say so. Aren't you lost anyways, you should be in the Liljegren thread calling him a bust or something.
You must have missed the other responses who are saying this too but you don’t care. You only care when I say it and than you forget the facts. Not good my friend because you are dead wrong.

Liljegren will never accomplish much in the NHL yes but dont change the subject again.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
You must have missed the other responses who noticed this too but you don’t care. You only care when I say it.

Liljegren will never accomplish much in the NHL yes but dont change the subject again.
He needs to improve his skating....that doesn't make him a bad skater. What you quoted me is absolutely true and you just saying it isn't true doesn't mean jack shit because you have more then likely only watched him play in the World Juniors. Is there anything more pathetic then random west coast fans having irrational hatred for east coast teams(and vice versa)? Just checking for a friend.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
He needs to improve his skating....that doesn't make him a bad skater. What you quoted me is absolutely true and you just saying it isn't true doesn't mean jack **** because you have more then likely only watched him play in the World Juniors. Is there anything more pathetic then random west coast fans having irrational hatred for east coast teams(and vice versa)? Just checking for a friend.
Dont make it a “You hate my Leafs” topic again where most are already so familiar with. The fact he might improve it, has nothing to do with how it is right now and that it might always be average at best.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Dont make it a “You hate my Leafs” topic again where most are already so familiar with. The fact he might improve it, has nothing to do with how it is right now and that it will always be average at best.
So he might improve.....but he will always be average at best? You really have a talent for knowing the end result for the prospects(specifically Leaf ones it seems). If you were actually capable of having a rational conversation this wouldn't be so bad, but you love to rush in and blast labels on things and speak in absolutes, I will humour you though. Sandin has great edge work he lacks in straight line speed which is where he needs improvement. You coming in and just saying he is a bad skater and will never improve....yeah definitely leads me to believe you watched him get a goal scored against in the WJC and made a snap judgement.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
So he might improve.....but he will always be average at best? You really have a talent for knowing the end result for the prospects(specifically Leaf ones it seems). If you were actually capable of having a rational conversation this wouldn't be so bad, but you love to rush in and blast labels on things and speak in absolutes, I will humour you though. Sandin has great edge work he lacks in straight line speed which is where he needs improvement. You coming in and just saying he is a bad skater and will never improve....yeah definitely leads me to believe you watched him get a goal scored against in the WJC and made a snap judgement.
Whatever you wants to believe is not very relevant. I notice something and mention it. You can think, yes he is right or just ignore it but you just get triggered with anything I say.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Whatever you wants to believe is not very relevant. I notice something and mention it. You can think, yes he is right or just ignore it but you just get triggered with anything I say.
I'm not triggered....I am trying to see if you are actually capable of having a rational conversation or if you are only capable of just dropping snap assessments on players with zero context or facts to actually back it up.

Mar 12, 2009
What in the hell are you even talking about? lol
I think they may be projecting a bit when they talk about people being "triggered"...especially considering you don't know what he's talking about, but your supposed interactions with him have been on his mind for months apparently lol.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Ok but how is he realy doing?

He's doing fine. His straight line speed is a problem but it's not something that makes him an ineffective NHL Player. When he gets into battles along the boards, you can tell he needs to add some strength. But the fact that he's engaging in those battles at his size/age and winning a lot of them is all you really need right now because that strength will come. And like others have mentioned, working with Barb Underhill will inevitably improve that straight line speed.

He's doing all the little things right like breaking the puck out efficiently, defending the blue line, stepping up in the o-zone when needed, etc.

imo he has the right weaknesses & strengths because those weaknesses can easily be fixed with practice while those strengths are pretty difficult to drill into a players head.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Ok but how is he realy doing?

Pretty good. I agree with what Bobby Mac said about him after the six game sample at the start of the season - he was not just their 5th best D, but in some games was the 2nd or third best. With this call up he was great in the first game and ok in the second game.

The problem with the first stint was ice time (and the kind of pressure Babs puts on young pressure to never make a mistake which throws them off their game). He averaging 16 minutes a game over these two recent games which as far as I am concerned is not enough and I assume that he will be sent back down after tonight (which makes sense anyway as the Leafs are off for 9 days and he is in the AHL all-star game) and will be kept down with Muzzin's return.

The poise under pressure and hockey IQ are super high. He will be a better PP QB than Barrie or Rielly are. He led the team in hits over the last two games with 7, yet those hits never take him out of position. Of course those are not Muzzin-like hits, but they are effective. The Leafs know what they have in him - as do the Leafs' players - but many Leafs' fans on here do not. He is going to be a top pairing D eventually. He makes the third-pairing better today, but outside of injury replacement this season, it would be better for his development to be getting first pairing minutes on the Marlies, until there is a top-4 spot for him (he says he is just as comfortable playing on either side, but I have no idea if that will turn out to be true.)

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
look how long it took Gauthier to get going, skating wise. I have high hopes Sandin is going to find that next gear just as Gauthier did

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Pretty good. I agree with what Bobby Mac said about him after the six game sample at the start of the season - he was not just their 5th best D, but in some games was the 2nd or third best.

Interesting.

Do you also agree with Bobby Mac that Liljegren has been better than Sandin this season?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Interesting.

Do you also agree with Bobby Mac that Liljegren has been better than Sandin this season?

Bobby Mac watched the games that Sandin played in the NHL and he has also said before that he doesn't have time to watch the Marlies. However, I could care less if Liljegren has played better than Sandin in the AHL this season. I said back in March that Sandin would make the Leafs of out camp, Babs would destroy his confidence over the next 9 or fewer games and it would take him months to recover. Play at the AHL is not indicative of play at the NHL level (where toolbox becomes much more important). Dominating at the AHL is what will get you a shot at the NHL, but nothing more. Petan is not an NHL player despite destroying the AHL. Moore looked like a player who was going to make it to the NHL when I watched him in the fall of 2017 and he was under half a point per game - when he increased his production he got a place on the Leafs. These two are not on the same level. Sandin has 1st pairing potential. Liljegren will be a 4-6.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Bobby Mac watched the games that Sandin played in the NHL and he has also said before that he doesn't have time to watch the Marlies. However, I could care less if Liljegren has played better than Sandin in the AHL this season. I said back in March that Sandin would make the Leafs of out camp, Babs would destroy his confidence over the next 9 or fewer games and it would take him months to recover. Play at the AHL is not indicative of play at the NHL level (where toolbox becomes much more important). Dominating at the AHL is what will get you a shot at the NHL, but nothing more. Petan is not an NHL player despite destroying the AHL. Moore looked like a player who was going to make it to the NHL when I watched him in the fall of 2017 and he was under half a point per game - when he increased his production he got a place on the Leafs. These two are not on the same level. Sandin has 1st pairing potential. Liljegren will be a 4-6.

Petan is a 24 year old forward, not a 19/20 year old D.

Also, you didn’t answer the question.

Reactions: stickty111

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Petan is a 24 year old forward, not a 19/20 year old D.

Also, you didn’t answer the question.

I answered your question in that Bobby Mac's comment about Sandin was based on watching him play in the NHL. His comment about Liljegren was based on second hand information.

That second hand information may or may not be accurate. Almost a year to the day before Bobby Mac's comments, Dubas was saying that Liljegren had been playing great and had it not been for the injury they were hoping he would be competing for a spot in the lineup later that season. Anyone with any sense knows that was complete nonsense. Months later Dubas and .Keefe both stated that Liljegren had been playing poorly at the time and costing the team games. It is likely that the comments were instead in a hope in increase his trade value. They were negotiating with LA over Muzzin, Friedman has said that LA didn't want Lilly (no the trade would not have included the same other parts if Liljegren was included instead of Durzi, so no it is unlikely that LA felt that Durzi was better than Liljegren), and in the weeks before the trade Dubas said that Sandin was not tradeable without mentioning Liljegren. Months later after Liljegren improved Dubas added Liljegren to the not available list.

At the same time all the same characters on here and on twitter were saying that Liljegren was playing amazing last fall - best D on the team by far - when the people who are experts at evaluating prospects, including a retired scout I know well who goes to almost every Marlies home game, were saying that he was playing poorly - or worse. Then this fall all the same characters on here and on twitter were saying that Liljegren was having a great camp when anyone with a brain knew that he was having a terrible camp. So I don't really give a shit about the claims people like you make, or the kind of claims that Bobby Mac might hear second hand because you guys have cried wolf way to often and lie about Liljegren incessantly.

I've watched Liljegren play. Pre-draft, summer showcase, rookie tournament, 1st preseason, first year on the Marlies regular season, at the WJC, during the playoffs with the Marlies, second preseason, second year on the Marlies regular season, second year on the Marlies during the playoffs, 3rd preseason, and this year on the Marlies. In total I think it is 26 games live and more than 50 more on tv.

I've watched Sandin play in his 1st and 2nd preseason, first and second year on the Marlies regular season, at both WJCs, during the playoffs with Marlies, and his 8 games with the Leafs. In total I think it is 12 or 13 games live and close to 50 more on tv.

I don't think watching the games on tv is useful for evaluation. But I have gone to games where my only purpose was to evaluate either Liljegren, Sandin or both and all I did was focus on them when they are on ice. Nor did I have a bias against Liljegren (who was my favorite prospect ever going back a year and a half before his draft, and remains a prospect I love after changing my assessment to be in line with experts) or a bias in favour of Sandin (who I thought of as small slow skating LHD who was probably picked because he played in the Soo and was a poor pick at the time - and hence didn't bother to watch him at the summer showcase or rookie tournament).

I haven't watched them play enough this season on the Marlies to say who has been better. Some AHL games on tv which I don't care about and they played in 2 of the 3 games I went to. Neither played November 29th, but they both played on the 30th and December 4th. To be honest (unlike in previous years) I wasn't impressed with either in either game (but Brooks had improved a surprising amount).

But again - I don't care who plays better in the AHL. As I have always said on here - if they can produce at ES on the Marlies they will get a shot (and they are unlikely to get such a shot until they do). But that is just to get the shot and has nothing to do with your ceiling in the NHL. Sandin has produced at ES in the AHL from his first game. Liljegren had never produced at ES in the AHL until around 9 games ago - and usually when that happens it is a lucky streak (I guess we will see in the second half). But regardless I am happy for him. I think he deserves at least a game or two in the NHL to see where he is at.

Regardless there is no reason to change my assessment of him of being a potential 4 - 6D, while Sandin is a potential top-pair. Liljegren has some better tools. Sandin has a much better toolbox. The NHL is what counts, but don't worry 5 years down the road you can regale people about the season you feel Liljegren was better than Sandin on the Marlies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Also your “assessment” is just an opinion. And you know what they say about opinions...

I understand why you think that about opinions as your opinions are terrible.

However, I said back in March that Sandin would start the season on the Marlies and be sent down within 9 games because of Babs. I also said around the same time that Liljegren would not play NHL games until he started producing ES points in the AHL - I even gave the rate he needed to surpass - which he finally did for the first time in a season on January 5th. Its the difference between educated opinions and the nonsense you spread.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Really composed for such a young player. He doesn't ever panic on the ice. He and Lilly formed a solid pair today as they did with the Marlies.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I understand why you think that about opinions as your opinions are terrible.

However, I said back in March that Sandin would start the season on the Marlies and be sent down within 9 games because of Babs. I also said around the same time that Liljegren would not play NHL games until he started producing ES points in the AHL - I even gave the rate he needed to surpass - which he finally did for the first time in a season on January 5th. Its the difference between educated opinions and the nonsense you spread.

You said a lot more than that about Liljegren when he was coming off injuries last year. Including throwing a hissy fit when he started off rusty and didn’t meet your expectations, and throwing Liljegren under the bus as a prospect. Look at him now, dominating the AHL at 20 and getting NHL games. You might’ve been back on board about now if you hadn’t broken both your ankles jumping off the bandwagon so hard last year.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
The problem with the first stint was ice time (and the kind of pressure Babs puts on young pressure to never make a mistake which throws them off their game).
Travis Dermot was one of the most reckless defencemen I've ever seen and made tons of mistakes yet Babcock never benched him, or anybody else, ever, and instead let him play through it just like he did with Marner and Nylander and pretty much every young player that he coached in Toronto. Young players flourished playing for Babcock.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Travis Dermot was one of the most reckless defencemen I've ever seen and made tons of mistakes yet Babcock never benched him, or anybody else, ever, and instead let him play through it just like he did with Marner and Nylander and pretty much every young player that he coached in Toronto. Young players flourished playing for Babcock.
In Marner's 2nd season you are forgetting that when he was struggling Babcock had him on the 4th line and playing less minutes, so he might as well been a healthy scratch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad