LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
I agree, dahlin would have scored about a point per game if he was mcdavid level on defense.

McDavid entered the league as around a PPG player in his first season with 48 in 45. Then 100 in 82 and 108 in 82 this year. Dahlins PPG will depend a lot on if he gets on the first PP unit. Right now you have Ristolainen on the right and Eichel on the LD side. So unless they will move Eichel into another position Dahlin will play PP2 and will most likely not be able to get close to a PPG.

If he got PPG as a defender it would be way better than McDavids first season. If he hits >50 it would be extreme for a rookie defenceman in his draft year. Defencemen in general often need a couple of more years. A lot will depend on his PP time and if he gets on the first unit. I would say around 40 would be what I would expect if he doesnt get PP1 time. If he plays on the first PP unit he should get more than 50. If we look at Ekblad the last defenceman drafted 1st overall he had 39 in his draft year, but he played on the 1st PP unit and had 13 of his points on the PP. Ekblad was huge already when drafted and is around the same level today as when he was drafted (Would probably have been better if not for injuries/concussions). I think Ekblad was more of a finished product while Dahlin has more potential. If Dahlin gets around 40 while not getting PP1 time he will have lived up to expectation. If he gets PP1 time he should get around 50. Buffalos PP was the 20th best so there are room for improvement and a shakeup could be good.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I agree, dahlin would have scored about a point per game if he was mcdavid level on defense.

This is very shortsighted. He played in Sweden top pro league which is very low scoring relative to leagues like CHL. And he also didn't get the top minutes which hurts how many points he could have scored.

Karlsson only hand 10 points in 45 games in his d+1 SHL season.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Only 4 people have had a higher ppg under 18 years old in that league and they’re all forwards.

And he played half a season at 16.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
It's not that I think lowly of dahlin, I just think very highly of Mcdavid. I don't think Dahlins on that level. If Dahlin had a better shot and was bigger, I think he'd be there.

I don't have Dahlin there either.

Breaking Ekblad rookie season in points seems reasonable and what should be considered a very successful rookie season as a European 18 year old dman heading to a bottom team in North America.

I think he has shown enough talent and ability to adapt to be considered a prospect in the vicinity of Eichel, Matthews etc.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Many disagree and do label him generational. No dman has ever been seen like him coming into the draft. He's clearly on a different tier then Matthews and Eichel. But right let's forget the guys themselves calling him better. Lidstrom uses Brian Leetch, he's a combo of Karlsson and Lidstrom and in a few years when he adds more muscle and becomes a full adult man he will add the Kronwall side of destroying people. He's a superstar McDavid prospect, best D prospect in 46 years undisputed. He's compared to Denis Potvin, a hall of fame all time top 5 D, not Jack Eichel and Auston Matthews :facepalm:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I don't have Dahlin there either.

Breaking Ekblad rookie season in points seems reasonable and what should be considered a very successful rookie season as a European 18 year old dman heading to a bottom team in North America.

I think he has shown enough talent and ability to adapt to be considered a prospect in the vicinity of Eichel, Matthews etc.
I agree

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
72cg.gif

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Well since the team he’s going to never scores I’d say modest.

Making those breakout passes to Pominville and Larsson don’t really add up.
That's true, I would consider his season to be a success if he scores 30-40p. Potentially I think he could just break 50.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
What are people expecting his point totals to be in the next season?
15 pts would be good considering our horrible team. If you don’t dominate in the SHL you probably won’t score much in the NHL. I don’t think he’ll be much of a difference maker until 20/21. Not looking forward to all of the bust threads...

Abraham de Lacy

What are people expecting his point totals to be in the next season?

5 points the first 20 games and then it will start picking up .. totalling roughly 30 to 35 by the end. Probably going to have a couple of multi point games scattered through the season with long draughts along the way.

Depends on how he is employed by the coaching and if he can withstand the intensive game schedule of the NHL. Interestingly though .. he apparently played 82 games the past season including the CHL, world juniors, two games in the Olympics and the SHL play-offs (haven't checked this myself and I may be way off .. so beware).

40-ish (plus) if everything clicks. I'd be satisfied with that span from 30 to 40. Less than 30 and I would be disappointed.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't like the questions of +- 50 points on his rookie season, unlike McDavid/Matthews/Eichel Dahlin is a D-man, and I expect there to be more battle with transitioning his game to NHL level and him needing more sheltering, good thing Buffalo added Scandella last offseason.

+2 season is where I expect him to explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad