LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Dahlin-Risto
Scandella-Bogosian

Should be a really strong top 4 and may even give Lehner a chance to have a breakout year. Buffalo could easily make playoffs this year if Mittelstadt and Nylander can manage to have coming out partys as well.

Dahlin-Risto is going to be one of the best pairs in the league for a long time. Righty lefty combo both can move the puck very effeciently and defend well. Risto is huge and Dahlin has decenet size and both can really shoot and be a threat in the offensive zone.

Top3, not top4 with Bogo.

Weird to think Buffalo with a strong D-core, but I value elite defense very high and add Eichel+Mitt to F core and damm.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
That Rasmus Top 2D line is gonna be one of the best lines in a few years time. Scary times ahead for the Eastern Conference...
Jones-Werenski
Dahlin-Risto
Hedman-Sergachev
Carlo-McAvoy
Slavin/Faulk/Hanifin
Provorov-Ghost

The east as a whole is stacked with defensive talent it definitely won't be a cakewalk for them to earn that title

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
We already have 3 young excellent prospects Swedes in Buffalo in Olofsson, Davidsson and Asplund. Im sure Dahlin will fit in nicely with them. All Swedish line would be pretty cool a couple of years down the line if we can find 1 more Swede D :)

and.... DONE. ;)

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Only thing I notice Dahlin lacking is a booming one timer. Hopefully he works hard on that aspect of his game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Top3, not top4 with Bogo.

Weird to think Buffalo with a strong D-core, but I value elite defense very high and add Eichel+Mitt to F core and damm.

They also have Guhle who should be a middle pairing guy, and then they have McCabe who isn't bad. Borgen could be a middle pairing guy. Maybe Pilut turns into a middle pairing guy, also. They have a top 3 though thats pretty decent. There aren't many 1-2-3's better than Dahlin, Risto, Scandella, and then they have some options for the other spots, as I already mentioned.

If they can get a top-flight goalie, they should be able to compete for a Cup in a few seasons. Eichel leading their offense with O'Reilly, Mittelstadt, Nylander in reserve is very decent.

Abraham de Lacy

Only thing I notice Dahlin lacking is a booming one timer. Hopefully he works hard on that aspect of his game.

Good observation. His slap-shots are mediocre/decent. No more than that, but his accuracy is very good. As far as I can remember he's talked -- on several occasions -- about improving his shot.

But he shoots a lot as far as I can tell, and the last time I saw his Corsi (sometime last fall, IIRC) it was spectacular. He also has this effortless ability .. casually skating with the puck .. almost looking lazy .. to immediately put pressure in the offensive zone.

It is quite mesmerizing to watch. Niklas Lidstrom had an excellent slap-shot and it is almost impossible to imagine a top D like Rasmus Dahlin without it. I actually can't think of one.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Abraham de Lacy

Apparently one NHL scout said if he showed up at the draft and announced he wanted to play forward he would go 1st overall still.

Haha, yeah .. I believe he's said he played centre when he was younger. When his olympic appearance was announced earlier this year, he was listed in the pdf as "forward". I guess they (the swedish national team) were trolling us but no one took the bait.

If he did switch, I guess he would be more of a two-way mostly defensive centre.

Reactions: monsieurthibz

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
There are a lot of people that think they are the next dynasty.

So you have looked at all our D prospects?

We have some nice pieces with potential (Ransanen, Greenway, Liily, and to a lesser level Holl and Middleton)

I would withhold judgement for sure, especially with the prospects we still have, will draft, and moves that will be made.

But I am sure you will call it all trash or overhyping, same old.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
So you have looked at all our D prospects?

We have some nice pieces with potential (Ransanen, Greenway, Liily, and to a lesser level Holl and Middleton)

I would withhold judgement for sure, especially with the prospects we still have, will draft, and moves that will be made.

But I am sure you will call it all trash or overhyping, same old.
Apart from Liljegren, none of these are more than C prospects at the moment. Every team has similar D prospects to the ones you named (apart from Liljegren)...

Holl is 26 so he hardly qualifies as a prospect.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Apart from Liljegren, none of these are more than C prospects at the moment. Every team has similar D prospects to the ones you named (apart from Liljegren)...

Holl is 26 so he hardly qualifies as a prospect.

You are very much not wrong.

However, we have the top AHL team, and a lot of our prospects are learning there. I don't expect everyone to follow the Marlies or even the prospects who have just come over to play a week ago from Sweden, but we have some very good potential here and overseas.

The thing is I watch these prospects all the time, and yes they don't have the hype like some, but many "C" level (or we think are C level) end up flourishing under proper development, so I believe we will be great.

Or they could be shit lol but I don't see it

Abraham de Lacy

The thing is I watch these prospects all the time, and yes they don't have the hype like some, but many "C" level (or we think are C level) end up flourishing under proper development, so I believe we will be great.

Or they could be **** lol but I don't see it

How is Liljegren doing. I saw him paired with Rasmus Dahlin in a few games at the juniors and they were a great pairing. They thought the game similarly it appeared. They were smooth as a unit I felt.

But they both have cracks in their defence .. I've thought about both of them in this way Rasmus/Liljegren: .. guys .. why did you make that play .. that is horrible .. and now they scored .. why .. oh holy f*** WHY?

Still, I thought Liljegren was refreshing to see .. he was actually great that tournament. How is he developing back in N.A.?

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
How is Liljegren doing. I saw him paired with Rasmus Dahlin in a few games at the juniors and they were a great pairing. They thought the game similarly it appeared. They were smooth as a unit I felt.

But they both have cracks in their defence .. I've thought about both of them in this way Rasmus/Liljegren: .. guys .. why did you make that play .. that is horrible .. and now they scored .. why .. oh holy **** WHY?

Still, I thought Liljegren was refreshing to see .. he was actually great that tournament. How is he developing back in N.A.?

He has looked really good with the Marlies, especially as an 18 year old.

Keefe has really worked him on gap control and defensive zone play, his offence and point totals are solid, but you can tell he doesn't have the green light just yet, all about two way play right now.

His skating and instincts are off the charts, he sees the ice very well, and you can see that controlling the game won't be an issue, hopefully.

I was surprised with how strong he was on his skates, pretty physical (seen it a bit in the Worlds) still needs to get stronger, but hopefully in time it comes.

Again, like all young D he has his moments, but I have been really impressed. Some really nice players coming out of Sweden.

They really did look great together, I was thinking that when I was watching. Dahlin will be a monster if he fulfils his promise. I like his game a lot, not many weaknesses at all. Just needs to work on his shot and also get stronger. I don't see him being anything less than first pairing. Weather or not he lives up to the franchise name tag, well that remains to be seen just yet.

Reactions: Abraham de Lacy

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
There are a lot of people that think they are the next dynasty.

Dynasties don't exist in the NHL anymore, which can be a little sad.

I guess the Hawks and Pens will be the last of the Cap era, unless it goes up substantially and clubs make proper decisions.

Unfortunately players will just get a larger percentage of the cap :(

Abraham de Lacy

Thanks! I kind of got a new respect for Liljegren after the juniors. Some of his top upsides are comparable: the skating was fabulous and easily comparable to Dahlin.

Liljegren is quicker, faster, but Dahlin has Pavel Datsyuk hands. Liljegrens hands are not of that calibre.

They both want to go go go .. when there is an opening in the game, sometimes to the detriment of their defence .. they still go forward with youthful exuberance.

Where Liljegren blasts in the offensive zone guns blazing .. Dahlin on the other hand saves his powder and sets the pieces up like a chess board. He enjoys guarding the blue-line, quarter-backing the attack. He thinks like a centre/general.

Liljegren likes this too but Dahlin does it better.

It is possible to play physically against Dahlin though, to knock him of his game even, but he's no stranger to physical violence, he seems to have a nasty side even .. lots of quarrels this season but no real fights .. impressive for that age. He's staking out his territory it seems. (Check his penalty box minutes) .

Again, thanks for a great answer but I am rambling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad