LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I have seen no signs of that have any meaning at all. Do their hockey season start 1 january?

Sure you can take age difference into accout during the draft, but then you shall count actually days/weeks/months, not if they are born 31 dec or 1 january, and count that as a year extra of devolopment. I have seen no signs of that being true at all.

I have heard that argument so many times, like with Elias Pettersson, but there is nothing magically happening between 31 dec and 1 january, that is just another day during the season.

But with that said, I still consider Dahlin to be a better talent than Hedman, sedins was during their draft year with a fairly big margin, they didnt have the same tools as Dahlin have. But if Dahlin ends up being as good as Hedman he shall be glad with that.

Not sure I'm following you but Elias Pettersson is a great example. Pettersson dropped out of school before his draft year to focus on hockey full time. A U18 player like Dahlin would practically not have that option. Being born on January 1 rather than one day earlier won't make a difference in the longer run but the one day older player will have a head start, play against older competition and move up the junior systems to reach SHL/Allsvenskan quicker, that's just how it works.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Keith-Dahlin

Teach Dahlin how to win Norris trophies. I know Dahlin's a lefty, but he did play RD this season, so he can likely do it in the NHL as well. Plus Keith has gotten to play with Hammer (lefty) and Oesterle (lefty) quite a bit the past few years.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
We already have 3 young excellent prospects Swedes in Buffalo in Olofsson, Davidsson and Asplund. Im sure Dahlin will fit in nicely with them. All Swedish line would be pretty cool a couple of years down the line if we can find 1 more Swede D :)

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
I think his hype is deserved. I was a bit careful coming in to the WJC, but there was a clear difference between him and the rest of the team. Youngest by far but still looked like the oldest, most experienced guy out there. Always so calm and calculating with such even high level of play.
I don't want to say he will be better than X or Y in the end, but he has the tools to potentially be a truly great player

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Since October 1, 2015

TeamGPWLOTPP%
30.Vancouver Canucks23286117312030.438
29.Arizona Coyotes23287116292030.438
28.Colorado Avalanche23297119162100.453
27.Buffalo Sabres23390108352150.461
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
With this loss, we overtake the Coyotes as the worst team cumulatively over the last 3 years

Canucks have been bottom for the past 3 years and we've only had a fifth overall pick to show for it. We are also a cap strapped team... makes it even more depressing.

Our GDT board today only had 7 pages.... SEVEN!! Back in the day we would have 10+ even before a game started. I saw tickets for 10-13 dollars now from the 185-250 range we had in the past, no more consecutive sold outs. Just shows what being mediocre can do to even a big market team. We definitely could use Dahlin to get some hope and excitement back. The draft lottery may seem interesting, but not when you're the worse of the worse.

Last edited:

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
This Dahlin hype is very intriguing to me. Does he become the next Lidstrom or more of Hamrlik/Ekblad caliber.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This Dahlin hype is very intriguing to me. Does he become the next Lidstrom or more of Hamrlik/Ekblad caliber.

I don't recall any dman that went first in their drafts becoming the best player from their draft :(. It's not even close.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I think he could be overhyped. I hope i am wrong. But as a Swede its almost frustrating to se good D after D and almost no forwards, specially no snipers.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
I think he could be overhyped. I hope i am wrong. But as a Swede its almost frustrating to se good D after D and almost no forwards, specially no snipers.
But you got William Karlsson now? I haven´t seen him play though so can´t tell if he is a sniper type. So would you rather have Laine + Heiskanen or Dahlin + W. Karlsson?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
But you got William Karlsson now? I haven´t seen him play though so can´t tell if he is a sniper type. So would you rather have Laine + Heiskanen or Dahlin + W. Karlsson?
Good question.. Right now Laine seems more proven sniper. Dont know if W Karlsson will continue on the same path. But give up Dahlin... I would realy like to have a Laine player on the Swedish team. If Dahlin pans out like some think then i would be a fool to switch. But Laine is Laine. My decision is that i cant decide.

Reactions: bogostick

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Good question.. Right now Laine seems more proven sniper. Dont know if W Karlsson will continue on the same path. But give up Dahlin... I would realy like to have a Laine player on the Swedish team. If Dahlin pans out like some think then i would be a fool to switch. But Laine is Laine. My decision is that i cant decide.
Yeah, same here but i´m right now leaning towards Laine-Heiskanen due to Laine´s magical shot only :)

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Elias Pettersson is an incredible sniper. He hasn’t “made it” yet so we don’t know what he’s going to become in the NHL but as of right now it looks like he has the best shot of anyone in his draft class last year.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
As a Canuck fan being in the top 3 this draft would be great... Dahlin would be a bonus, as long as the Oilers and Buffalo don't get him I think many team in the bottom are quite deserving. If we fall outside the top 3 I would be absolutely crushed... Would be quite sad being the worst team for 3 years and not get a single top 3 pick. Talk about getting the short end of the stick with the new lottery system... the sadder part is we are spending to the cap.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Dahlin-Andersson*

C'mon guys, the Dahlin-Karlsson duo trumps all....

***remembers the sens want to trade Karlsson***

giphy.gif

Reactions: Bozle

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Nope. Defenseman are a whole different story. I think Dahlin will be very good don't get me wrong, but people are expecting way too much from him in his first year, and predicting he will be better than some of the best to ever play is a ridiculous claim.
I think they mean he has potential to become that good, but of course, some people are more bold than that. He has all of the tools to be great, can’t deny that

Reactions: Kcb12345

KH

Mar 5, 2014
As a Canuck fan being in the top 3 this draft would be great... Dahlin would be a bonus, as long as the Oilers and Buffalo don't get him I think many team in the bottom are quite deserving. If we fall outside the top 3 I would be absolutely crushed... Would be quite sad being the worst team for 3 years and not get a single top 3 pick. Talk about getting the short end of the stick with the new lottery system... the sadder part is we are spending to the cap.

It's a good thing or else we wouldn't have Pettersson. Treat the draft as it is what it is and it might be a hidden blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad