LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Well, the bolded are those three "defensive d" I guess.
If its between Dahlin and Ekholm (Brodin and Larsson?...please), Dahlin have a small chance actually

Ekholm is one of the best defensive Ds in the league. Id argue that hes ahead of even OEL, Lindholm, Strålman.

With other words, No - its not close between Ekholm and Dahlin atm.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Dahlin would not come close to making the Olympic team with NHLers included. After next season perhaps.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Come on dude, Dahlin is 17. He will be better but in an olympic game versus NHLers I would pick someone more experienced and at this moment also better every time.
Well, yeah, but I also mentioned that I would take him as a joker if i'd pick him. Hes unique playstyle set him apart from other defenders that we have lots of.

Abraham de Lacy

Longish post .. sorry for that.

So, I have seen all of his national team games and about half of his league games for Frölunda on TV.

My first reaction -- early in his career last year -- was that he was a bit risky in his own zone. He has given up goals .. no doubt about that. But .. he seems to have polished that crudeness off.

And it has happened remarkably quickly.

In fact (I hope Swedes with a closer eye responds) he now seems to me as one very solid and reliable D-man.

In fact I would rather see Rasmus defending in his own zone than any other defence man on the Frölunda team and the National team.

I haven't seen his current Corsi but I expect it to be pretty solid.

Has anyone bothered to dig out his Corsi from the SHL website recently? (I hate that website .. it is obtrusive)

Cheers

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
Longish post .. sorry for that.

So, I have seen all of his national team games and about half of his league games for Frölunda on TV.

My first reaction -- early in his career last year -- was that he was a bit risky in his own zone. He has given up goals .. no doubt about that. But .. he seems to have polished that crudeness off.

And it has happened remarkably quickly.

In fact (I hope Swedes with a closer eye responds) he now seems to me as one very solid and reliable D-man.

In fact I would rather see Rasmus defending in his own zone than any other defence man on the Frölunda team and the National team.

I haven't seen his current Corsi but I expect it to be pretty solid.

Has anyone bothered to dig out his Corsi from the SHL website recently? (I hate that website .. it is obtrusive)

Cheers

He is very solid. That was one of the things that struck me watching him closely in the WJC as well - every time he has the puck the fame calms down considerably. Very cool and smart in most situations. Don't have any recent corsi in front of me but he was among the top in the SHL a month or two ago

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Love this kid....but will the Swedes do the right thing and play him heads up against his own age group in the WC? Give the American u18’s a shot, some of the Canadians a shot, all of the players a shot?
Don’t give me the “man against boys” or “nothing to prove”. You have everything to prove. If you’re generational, the best by far, number one, go prove it. Don’t say he already has.... he played well in the WJC but I question his best d award. My bet is they take the high road. Don’t want him having an off tourny and having Boqvist or any other highly ranked player (if available) outshining him. Not saying that’s possible..... but that’s possible.
Remember he didn’t play u17 or Hlinka.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Love this kid....but will the Swedes do the right thing and play him heads up against his own age group in the WC? Give the American u18’s a shot, some of the Canadians a shot, all of the players a shot?
Don’t give me the “man against boys” or “nothing to prove”. You have everything to prove. If you’re generational, the best by far, number one, go prove it. Don’t say he already has.... he played well in the WJC but I question his best d award. My bet is they take the high road. Don’t want him having an off tourny and having Boqvist or any other highly ranked player (if available) outshining him. Not saying that’s possible..... but that’s possible.
Depends on how far Frölunda will go in the SHL playoffs.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
Well he didn't play U18 and Hlinka because he was too good last year so I'm not sure why that would do any difference. He was already earning more ice time in Frölunda and playing against men during those tournaments.
I don't expect him to do any wonders, but I have no doubt he will be a good addition to the team

Dahlin's a wonderful talent but leave him be, he shouldn't go to the Olympics this year IMO.
He has earned his spot. Of course argument could be made that others have as well, but considering that he is playing on the big ice daily with and against players that in an non NHL world is olympic material I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be there. If a prospect is ready to play on the big stage, he should. It will make for a great learning experience and just further prepare him for his career after the draft

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Too good? C’mon, I have not seen a game where he was too good. I have seen games where he was good, very good and some quite frankly where he was not. You think he would walk thorough the best u18’s in the world? He might dominate, he might be the best there and win mvp, but he’s not too good. Show up and prove it.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Too good? C’mon, I have not seen a game where he was too good. I have seen games where he was good, very good and some quite frankly where he was not. You think he would walk thorough the best u18’s in the world? He might dominate, he might be the best there and win mvp, but he’s not too good. Show up and prove it.

Frölunda decides where he plays, they are the ones paying him. 0% chance he goes to the U18 if Frölunda is still in the playoffs, he's a key player for that team. Frölunda released Vesalainen a couple of years ago and Filip Westerlund last year because they weren't much of a factor so yeah, Dahlin is by definition too good to play at the U18's.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Frölunda decides where he plays, they are the ones paying him. 0% chance he goes to the U18 if Frölunda is still in the playoffs, he's a key player for that team. Frölunda released Vesalainen a couple of years ago and Filip Westerlund last year because they weren't much of a factor so yeah, Dahlin is by definition too good to play at the U18's.
No, Frölunda dosnt have a say in that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's too good, because he's too important to Frolunda to loan to a junior tournament during the playoffs. Its the same reason highly-touted Canadians don't go (they are in the CHL playoffs). It has nothing to do with protecting draft stock. It would be like knocking McDavid for not playing in the 2015 World Championships because he was still playing for Erie, while Eichel could go due to the NCAA season being over.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Didn't he miss the U-18's for this exact reason last year? I don't see how this would change.

Yeah, last year coach Bendelin screwed up by registering their 7th D the day before Frölunda was eliminated.

Good chance he plays this year though. Frölunda is having all kinds of problems this season and I can easily picture a 1st round exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad