LD Rasmus Dahlin (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
This kid is Calder Trophy material. His smooth skating and passing is something to behold and has stabilized the Sabres to a large extent. His maturation while the season has progressed, at 18 yrs old, has allowed Risto's minutes to come down a bit, vastly improving his play as well.

Buffalo is so very fortunate to have landed this kid. Their defense is so vastly improved, and it's showing...…………...

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Bruh

Don't go down this road with Sabres fans

I did when the same thing was said but switching Drew for EK this summer, and also countered a claim that he was the best prospect since Gretzky, and was jumped on each time and labeled the resident Dahlin-hater

And I'm a goddamn Sabres fan

Ha and it appears we were right Randall!

Just kidding, but this is what myself and others meant when we said his floor is Karlsson. As an 18 year old he is showing that those claims were well founded. He has been very defensively sound at this age, hasn’t had a great veteran d partner and the offense has started to pop already.

I don’t about the Gretzky argument, who had that with you, but as it relates to the player who matters, Orr, Dahlin has shown so far, his path looks a lot more like Bobby than Karlsson.

Should be fun to see how it plays out, but he has the highest ceiling of any defender I have ever seen at his age.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
At least read previous post before you write something that makes you look like a fool, fwiend
I don't think it's me who is being dumb here.

Before those two fellers I quoted brought Heiskanen back to the dicsussion, he had not been mentioned in 2 pages in this thread. If you don't want people to discuss Heiskanen in Dahlin thread, don't throw shades at him and expect people not to come and respond.

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Before those two fellers I quoted brought Heiskanen back to the dicsussion, he had not been mentioned in 2 pages in this thread. If you don't want people to discuss Heiskanen in Dahlin thread, don't throw shades at him and expect people not to come and respond.
He threw shade at people constantly bringing him up, not Heiskanen himself. And you took the bait hook, line, and sinker.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
This post reeks of bias! Even when you try to compliment him on his backcheck you insinuate that his defensive play has been poor comimg into the league but has improved as of late. That's simply not true. He was a very mature and responsible defenseman coming into the league. But you want to fuel the narrative that Heiskanen is doing all his magic offensively on top of being great defensively AS OPOSED to Dahlin. No one is falling for it. The only one you're fooling is yourself.
No I was not bias, even though it might have seemed like it. I’ve been actually impressed by his D-play for the start of the season and it has only gotten better and more fluent.
I don’t like the fact that I can’t express my opinion, because my name has ”finnish” in it and it happens that Dahlin’s main competition D-man wise is Heiskanen. No need to get too defensive as I have simply praised him without any narrative at all.

L.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm

Oh please, you know exactly why those comments regarding Heiskanen and Finland where brought up, stop playing silly

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Oh please, you know exactly why those comments regarding Heiskanen and Finland where brought up, stop playing silly
Yeah, I've been visiting the internets long enough to know those type of people who just can't drop the subject and move on like the rest. Some people just need to get that last saying on the subject.

As for someone who had to watch closely the cancerous Laine vs Matthews debate for a whole year, I just don't wanna see similar stuff happening everytime I visit Dahlin or Heiskanen topic.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He touched it after the poke check. The poke is deflected directly off of his stick. It’s why it ends up in dead space and flops in the air instead of going forward. I mean this system is ridiculous as it is since if he didn’t clip it incidentally he wouldn’t get a point for a play that he completely made happen but it is what it is.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why?

He clearly did not touch the puck after Jones. Did Jones not have possession long enough or something?

He gets a piece of it. That's why it lays in the slot waiting for Skinner rather than going the other way.

2iuexax.png

CMQDDS2

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

This is a mic drop tweet

Not really. He mentioned a lot of team-based stats and didn't even mention quality of opponents that they face. It's actually a horribly done argument. I could make a better argument for Dahlin than that lol

Of course a player on one of the top teams in the league in mostly sheltered minutes will have good advanced stats

lawrence

May 19, 2012

This is a mic drop tweet

what is he basing this on? in the game against Vancouver he was horrible.

of course that was one game, unless he was stellar the rest of the way,

but yea, what is Travis Yost basing this on?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
28.57 TOI QOC is on the lower end for usage. It would be 5th on the Sabres, ahead of only Nelson and Beaulieu. I wouldn't really call it sheltered, but Heiskanen's is on the higher-end and close to what top-pairing guys get.
45.9 xGF QoT makes that irrelevant

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
45.9 xGF QoT makes that irrelevant
The Sabres are a bad team under Corsica's xGF% model. Are you going to say Risto is sheltered because he has the highest xGF% QoT? Dahlin is 13th out of 21 on the Sabres with Casey Nelson and Jake McCabe the only defenders below him.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The Sabres are a bad team under Corsica's xGF% model. Are you going to say Risto is sheltered because he has the highest xGF% QoT? Dahlin is 13th out of 21 on the Sabres with Casey Nelson and Jake McCabe the only defenders below him.
I'm going to say Ristolainen is not very good even if he's considered a top tier player by TOI.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly, he has impressed me to the point where I would trust him more than Risto against tough match ups. Risto is more likely to be sheltered in the future. Have him feast on weaker match ups.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
28.57 TOI QOC is on the lower end for usage. It would be 5th on the Sabres, ahead of only Nelson and Beaulieu. I wouldn't really call it sheltered, but Heiskanen's is on the higher-end and close to what top-pairing guys get.

You have to keep in mind that stats like that are gonna be a bit skewed by the fact that he was sheltered in 3rd pairing minutes for the first several games of the season. Then he worked his way into the top 4, and the last few games onto the top pairing. He was sheltered, but he's been earning more trust/minutes and steadily improving his offense while taking on that additional responsibility. Heiskanen just got that responsibility sooner because everyone else on Dallas' blue line got injured.

Reactions: Slimmy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You have to keep in mind that stats like that are gonna be a bit skewed by the fact that he was sheltered in 3rd pairing minutes for the first several games of the season. Then he worked his way into the top 4, and the last few games onto the top pairing. He was sheltered, but he's been earning more trust/minutes and steadily improving his offense while taking on that additional responsibility. Heiskanen just got that responsibility sooner because everyone else on Dallas' blue line got injured.
Fair enough, I was commenting on the stats used. And, its generally accepted TOI% QOC is the go-to measurement for examining a players usage. I'm sure he will maintain tougher usage unless he hits a rookie wall playing an 82 game schedule compared to SHL's significantly shorter season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad