LD Rasmus Dahlin (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Ok
First Off: "Several" indicates 3 or more. So 3 or more hockey analysts have said he would have gone 1st overall as a center. That is such a weird, and I think not real analysis. Why the hell would ONE, let alone THREE hockey analysts make that comparison???????

Yeah Auston Matthews would have won the Norris with his scoring totals if he was a dman... Do you know how stupid that sounds
~~~~~~~~~
second: 20 points in 41 games as a center in the SHL hands down, would not be unanimous 1st overall in the 2018 draft. There's not a chance. Some teams would have ranked Svechikov higher because of his goal scoring, and people would have been comparing him to Kotkaniemi.

so everything about that statement I dont believe. I dont think three or more separate hockey analysts would make such a ridiculous claim or statement, and I dont believe everyone would have ranked him unanimous as a center.
Cool. Don’t believe it then; no one cares if you do or don’t :laugh:

It was said, and by more than one person either in front of a camera or written in an article. It’s out there, I’m just not going to find it for you.

Keep in mind, Dahlin switched from C to D in his youth; 12-14yo or some point around that age. That’s why those comments were made.

Last edited:

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
It seems like he's getting more confident with the puck on his stick every game. Sometimes when there's no obvious passing option, he'll just play keep-away, turning from pressure until a teammate gets open or he shakes the defender and skates up-ice. So much more creative than just dumping the puck.

The way he processes the game at his age is so impressive.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Love seeing him paired with Bogosian. Hard to believe this is the same team we saw in the first few games of the season. The Sabres are looking great.

Reactions: SabresSharks

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I just wish he gets to spend more time away from Bogo and more time behind the Eichel-Skinner line. I don't want to call Bogo boneheaded, but he tends to make overly simplistic and poor decisions, especially offensively.
Bogo does not always make the right decision, but he's actually been playing quite well. That's a huge addition to the team from a player one almost expects to be on the IR.

He fits better with Dahlin than any other partner they've tried, and I'm quite happy to have him out there keeping an eye on things. Teams are starting to test Dahlin with physical play, hacks, crap after the whistle, etc., and that will likely escalate as his game continues to improve. Bogo-Cop is on duty.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Cool. Don’t believe it then; no one cares if you do or don’t :laugh:

It was said, and by more than one person either in front of a camera or written in an article. It’s out there, I’m just not going to find it for you.

Keep in mind, Dahlin switched from C to D in his youth; 12-14yo or some point around that age. That’s why those comments were made.
I'm pretty sure you are thinking abouta one-off comment by the Leafs Swedish scout Thommie Bergman, and adding on top of it. The quote was that Dahlin would go first even as a center. There was nothing about him being able to do it in other drafts or that 2018 was viewed as one of the best drafts.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
There was nothing about him being able to do it in other drafts or that 2018 was viewed as one of the best drafts.
Are you in the wrong thread, or are you just trying to create a straw man? I did not say either of these things.

Edit- I see that you’re replying to a comment made by someone else about it being one of the best drafts in recent memory. Still... not sure why you’re quoting me since I never said that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Are you in the wrong thread, or are you just trying to create a straw man? I did not say either of these things.

Edit- I see that you’re replying to a comment made by someone else about it being one of the best drafts in recent memory. Still... not sure why you’re quoting me since I never said that.
I should have quoted that poster instead of you. Although, I can't think of anyone saying this outside of Bergman, and I'm not sure it was a serious quote or just something said as a joke using hyperbole, since context is generally removed from a short twitter quote.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
... I really don't get what's amazing about that behind the back play? He loses control of the puck, gives the goalie control of it. Yes, the goalie messed up and gave it away, but if he hadn't done it, it'd just have been a giveaway. Too outcome-oriented.

Nice on the back check, though.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
... I really don't get what's amazing about that behind the back play? He loses control of the puck, gives the goalie control of it. Yes, the goalie messed up and gave it away, but if he hadn't done it, it'd just have been a giveaway. Too outcome-oriented.

Yeah man, honestly even though my user name I rarely am biased. But that play was nothing special AT ALL. He just lost the puck, that’s all.

Amazing backcheck by him on the other clip though, I see that his defensive game has been improving a lot lately in other aspects of his game in the D-zone also. He is positioning a lot better and being more physical.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Its the idea. The execution is secondary.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Its the idea. The execution is secondary.
Exactly. It’s creative, and I think he really only tries it because Kane is nano seconds away from knocking the puck off his stick. It’s the quick decision making plus creativity that makes him the player he is.

Not to mention, it’s what creates the opennnet for Skinner. It’s not a top 10 play in the world or anything, let’s not kid ourselves, but even attempting moves like that at his age deserves some praise.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015

It's the creativity and thought process behind the play. The execution wasn't there, but the bounce definitely went Buffalo's way on that play. Execution is extremely important, but consistent creativity and mental processing of the game (high IQ) can lead to good luck and positive bounces.

I'm not one to go over the top about a play like that, but a lot of other players (let alone defensemen) wouldn't even consider that as an option on that play.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm

...Come on iljuka. You know that his unconventional move creates the scoring chance for Skinner, and you know not many players wouldve tried it. This schtick is getting pretty boring, and I'm not even a "hype-guy" either.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It’s going to be a long twenty years for ijuka.

Dahlin was incredible that whole shift. He breaks up a pass to Karlsson by abandoning chasing him and reading the angle on the pass and going there instead. Then he completely made the goal happen by doing something maybe a handful of players would even think to try...against his idol...as an 18 year old. Jones has to come out because Dahlin might win that puck...and the rest is history.

Reactions: Slimmy

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I've seen enough of him to know that saying his FLOOR is a Norris winning Defenseman is extremely premature. He's been very, very good but to say that the absolute worst he could possibly do if everything goes wrong for him is Drew Doughty? Please.
Bruh

Don't go down this road with Sabres fans

I did when the same thing was said but switching Drew for EK this summer, and also countered a claim that he was the best prospect since Gretzky, and was jumped on each time and labeled the resident Dahlin-hater

And I'm a goddamn Sabres fan

Reactions: TimeZone

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Yeah man, honestly even though my user name I rarely am biased. But that play was nothing special AT ALL. He just lost the puck, that’s all.

Amazing backcheck by him on the other clip though, I see that his defensive game has been improving a lot lately in other aspects of his game in the D-zone also. He is positioning a lot better and being more physical.
This post reeks of bias! Even when you try to compliment him on his backcheck you insinuate that his defensive play has been poor comimg into the league but has improved as of late. That's simply not true. He was a very mature and responsible defenseman coming into the league. But you want to fuel the narrative that Heiskanen is doing all his magic offensively on top of being great defensively AS OPOSED to Dahlin. No one is falling for it. The only one you're fooling is yourself.

Reactions: crossbownerf

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Oh its a Sweden vs Finland thread. Finland looks scary as hell with all there prospects. Sweden are loosing ground fast. Had hope for 2020 but saw that a Finn was ahead of the Swedes so i just laid down and cried in my trekronor foppa jersey. Dahlin is the best Heiskanen has the coolest name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad