LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, NCAA (2018, 7th, VAN) Part Three...

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's looked very good to start the season. The thing I've been most impressed with is the same thing that impressed me in his stint to end last season: his ability and wherewithal to simplify his game. It's something dynamic young players often struggle with at the next level, but he hasn't thus far. That's not to say he's not still dynamic, but he plays a much smarter game at the NHL level than he often did during his amateur career. He's always had high hockey IQ, but he seems to recognize, and keen to avoid, the (understandable) overconfidence that would cause him to struggle in instances where he should dominate against his peers (i.e. WJCs).

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
This is a bit much. He's looked very good thus far, and is doing extremely well statistically. Tad premature to say the most electrifying defenceman to ever play for Van lol.

Petterson's hockey IQ is oustanding and most definitely a tier above Hughes', they are different players - let's just enjoy both.

IMO Hughes’ IQ is in the same tier as Pettersson’s and Hughes has slightly higher IQ.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kid just turned 20, and already might have one of the most elite set of wheels in the league.

But that's what baffles me a about skating.....you watch his edge-work, acceleration and lateral agility and you wonder why other players who are growing up and developing their skills never seem to develop the same abilities. Is there something the Hughes brothers did growing up that enabled them both to become elite skaters?

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
Kid just turned 20, and already might have one of the most elite set of wheels in the league.

But that's what baffles me a about skating.....you watch his edge-work, acceleration and lateral agility and you wonder why other players who are growing up and developing their skills never seem to develop the same abilities. Is there something the Hughes brothers did growing up that enabled them both to become elite skaters?

They were born with the right genes.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
20198535-485C-4EF8-90DE-77F563FA6EFC.png

Reactions: Canucks LB and Love

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
This is a bit much. He's looked very good thus far, and is doing extremely well statistically. Tad premature to say the most electrifying defenceman to ever play for Van lol.

Petterson's hockey IQ is oustanding and most definitely a tier above Hughes', they are different players - let's just enjoy both.

I've watched most Canucks games since the early 90's, and I don't think we have had a D with Hughes' skillset or potential.

That is not saying too much though, it's not like we've had many high end D over the years to compare him to.

Not going to compare him to EP, very different players. I'm just stoked to be able to watch them both for the next 6-7 years at least.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

They were born with the right genes.

Genes certainly help, but it's well documented how much their parents, primarily their mom, focused on skating technique while they were kids. The third brother Luke (NTDP U17) is just as elite a skater as Jack and Quinn.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think Quinn’s skill and IQ is even better than Pettersson’s but it’s close.

Hard to determine this because playing d is a lot different then playing centre. Quinn has the privilege of getting dibs on the pick first, (dman retrieval in own zone) etc etc. Iq level is equally the same.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I’m sorry where the link to this? Because I have no clue what each section or the words even mean..
Basically it means he has been our best defender at shot differential even though he starts mostly in the Dzone, about 60% or more of the time. He is far and away the #1 Dman on the Canucks not only in that regard, but pretty much everywhere else too.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I'm curious to see if he can keep this level of play up, and how he holds up against the physicality of the playoffs, but otherwise he has been outstanding. A wonderous skater and already an impact 2way player, while having very little pro experience, and being an undersized teenager Dman. Well, I guess he just turned 20 a few days ago, but still... I think we hit the jackpot. I hope it doesn't take an Edler injury to get him on PP1.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I saw this live, nice somebody finally posted it.

This guys hockey IQ is fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad