LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, NCAA (2018, 7th, VAN) Part Three...

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes so far this kid has blown me away. I think tha Kane on defense is a pretty accurate desription. Forecheck him hard you better get a piece of him or he's gonna make you look stupid. Sidesteps the first guy with ease. His hands and IQ appear to be that of an elite forward not a defenseman. The big concern was a muffin shot. well you can forget about that because he obviously went home this off season and turned his shot into a weapon. His 4 direction movement is unreal and he uses it to pull players towards him and open up ice where he vacates. He's absolutely unpredictable also from what i've seen and he pretty much just toys with anyone attempting to come at him like Kane does to create odd man situations. I know its way too early to be going off but his skill and IQ are like nothing i have ever seen in Vancouver and all the hype towards the Hughes brothers is starting to make sense to me now . Look out NHL this kid is the real deal

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Something important to note re: defense.

Through 3 games Quinn has the highest percentage of D zone starts of any defenseman on the canucks. (68%) His most common forwards faced against Edmonton and Calgary were McDavid and Gaudreau.

He also has the highest corsi of any defenseman on the canucks. Small sample size I know- but point being, for a supposed “offensive” defenseman, the Canucks are doing the opposite of sheltering him. And he’s thrived in his first 3 games.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Is he a points guy or a shutdown guy? Fantasy Hockey question.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I really underestimated him. He plays a big game and doesn't let his size get in the way, and shows up. Somewhat reminds me of a defensive version of Brian Rafalski.

But that was an amazing first NHL goal.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Hes starting mostly in the defensive zone as well, he is not at all being sheltered, crazy how much he is being relied on to transition into the offensive zone.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Believe it or not this guy is better than Pettersson.

last year Pettersson established himself as guy with some of the best hands in the NHL. Quinn Hughes’ hands are on the same level if not slightly better than Pettersson’s. Same goes for Quinn’s playmaking. Quinn’s skating is super elite and blows Pettersson’s out of the water. The only thing Pettersson does better than Quinn Hughes is shoot the puck - Elias’ shot is elite but Hughes’ shot is about average for an NHLer. But he’s good at getting his shots through to the net from the point so nobody in Vancouver is complaining there.

He is the most electrifying talent to ever play on the Canucks blue line and he’s only 20 years old. Kid has superstar written all over him.

Reactions: Kreator

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Yes so far this kid has blown me away. I think tha Kane on defense is a pretty accurate desription. Forecheck him hard you better get a piece of him or he's gonna make you look stupid. Sidesteps the first guy with ease. His hands and IQ appear to be that of an elite forward not a defenseman. The big concern was a muffin shot. well you can forget about that because he obviously went home this off season and turned his shot into a weapon. His 4 direction movement is unreal and he uses it to pull players towards him and open up ice where he vacates. He's absolutely unpredictable also from what i've seen and he pretty much just toys with anyone attempting to come at him like Kane does to create odd man situations. I know its way too early to be going off but his skill and IQ are like nothing i have ever seen in Vancouver and all the hype towards the Hughes brothers is starting to make sense to me now . Look out NHL this kid is the real deal
Really? I've always been extremely high on Hughes. Had him ranked 3rd on my 2018 draft list, but is he even better than Pettersson in both those regards?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Believe it or not this guy is better than Pettersson.

last year Pettersson established himself as guy with some of the best hands in the NHL. Quinn Hughes’ hands are on the same level if not slightly better than Pettersson’s. Same goes for Quinn’s playmaking. Quinn’s skating is super elite and blows Pettersson’s out of the water. The only thing Pettersson does better than Quinn Hughes is shoot the puck - Elias’ shot is elite but Hughes’ shot is about average for an NHLer. But he’s good at getting his shots through to the net from the point so nobody in Vancouver is complaining there.

He is the most electrifying talent to ever play on the Canucks blue line and he’s only 20 years old. Kid has superstar written all over him.

This is a bit much. He's looked very good thus far, and is doing extremely well statistically. Tad premature to say the most electrifying defenceman to ever play for Van lol.

Petterson's hockey IQ is oustanding and most definitely a tier above Hughes', they are different players - let's just enjoy both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad