LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, NCAA (2018, 7th, VAN) Part Three...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
discuss away...

LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, NCAA (2018, 7th, VAN) Part II

plenty pearls of wisdom can be read in the previous thread....

tumblr_ppi15aipf51xkok61o1_400.jpg

tumblr_ppi16wTHS31xkok61o1_540.jpg

Quinn Hughes at eliteprospects.com

he be aiight!!!​

Last edited:

AvsFanHut17

Sep 19, 2016
You guys are set for a long time with Hughes, he’s an absolutely stellar OFD. I’m hoping we get his brother this summer!!

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
Unfortunately there's a few massive homer Canuck fans that dominate these Canuck prospect threads and make them unreadable and unworthy of attempting to have an objective discussion about Canucks prospects. It annoying.

I say this as a die hard Canuck fan.

How many points do you think Hughes will have next year?

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
He's going to be so good. No idea how anyone couldn't be excited to see this guy develop. Has all the tools to be an absolutely dominate offensive defenceman. I think he is more than smart enough to play in his own end like an allstar. He reminds me a little of DeAngelo without some of the warts D came into the league with. He seems to have figured out how to be a professional now and think he really takes off next year too,

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'm over the moon about this kid like every Canucks fan. Haven't seen a Canucks defenseman capable of jumping up & being an offensive threat since Ehrhoff, and Hughes is better at jumping up than Ehrhoff was.

I wouldn't be expecting 50 points though. If he plays 1st PP all year 40 is possible, but I'm not going to be expecting that as a minimum.

He's still got work to do defensively, but he's gotten better even from his 1st game to his 4th game. He'll continue to figure it out. It'll be interesting to see how much trust Green will have in him at the start of next season compared to now in garbage time.

Anyways, if I'm handicapping next years Calder race, I'm not expecting Hughes to be a finalist. Alot harder for a D man, especially an OFD. He'll have to get a minimum of 40 points to be considered a top candidate.

(Although it does depend on the strength of each rookie year, & I haven't really thought alot about possible candidates)

Reactions: Steely Van

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Been waiting 8 years for a guy like this for Vancouver. Very excited for next year. We might have another Calder contender next year.

Feb 24, 2017
He's going to be so good. No idea how anyone couldn't be excited to see this guy develop. Has all the tools to be an absolutely dominate offensive defenceman. I think he is more than smart enough to play in his own end like an allstar. He reminds me a little of DeAngelo without some of the warts D came into the league with. He seems to have figured out how to be a professional now and think he really takes off next year too,
What?

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Best game as a Canuck today despite no points imo. 18-10 corsi against the hottest team in the league since the new year. (Tops on the team for a DMan by far) He seemed to have a much stronger grasp today than his first couple games of when he had the opportunity to go for a skate on clean zone exits and when he needed to chip the puck or clear. If he plays like that next season he'll be a calder contender.

Through 5 games: 3 assists, CF% of 53, relative CF of almost 10. Hell of a little audition for the kid.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Best game as a Canuck today despite no points imo. 18-10 corsi against the hottest team in the league since the new year. (Tops on the team for a DMan by far) He seemed to have a much stronger grasp today than his first couple games of when he had the opportunity to go for a skate on clean zone exits and when he needed to chip the puck or clear. If he plays like that next season he'll be a calder contender.

I didn't see the whole game but he had a nice back check as well in OT and really showed some wheels chasing down a Blues player (I believe it was ROR?). He's going to be a deadly player with the man advantage or the open ice of OT.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Through 5 games: 3 assists, CF% of 53, relative CF of almost 10. Hell of a little audition for the kid.

Very well said
He had more controlled breakouts than probably the entire defense core combined.
I thought he was the best player.
Vancouver was outshot 38-25 so with those possession numbers against a big team.

Reactions: mphmiles

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Very well said
He had more controlled breakouts than probably the entire defense core combined.
I thought he was the best player.
Vancouver was outshot 38-25 so with those possession numbers against a big team.

My concern with Hughes was that he would be a liability when he does not put up points. Also that he would cough the puck up in his a few times a game. I'm is bad games will be real bad, but he looks very solid and comfortable at the NHL level. 4 of his 5 games were against very good teams playing important games. He completely changes the way our team plays when he is on the ice. Might be the most important player that we have.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I hope he can evolve into a 25 min defenceman, the team simply plays better when he is in the ice. Every other defenceman on the Canucks have a habit of just dumping the puck.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I hope he can evolve into a 25 min defenceman, the team simply plays better when he is in the ice. Every other defenceman on the Canucks have a habit of just dumping the puck.

Most nhl dmans will dump it, it’s a rather save play, the elite ones will carry it in and try to make a legit offensive shift, he will have a very high (controlled zone entry). The last dman to be that effective for was canucks was Christian ehrhoff.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
maybe this is a bit off-topic but why hasn't Edler resigned in Van?? I have heard he wants to stay, the team wants him as well, and would he not be the perfect mentor for Hughes?? our Hawks board has discussed on numerous occasions how a guy like Edler would help our young blue line as well - so what gives??

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

In my opinion he will because of his skating ability, he uses it defensively to his advantage as well. You would also think the ease with which he skates means he can handle the big minutes. But that kind of projection means he kills penalties, we will see on that front. I am a big believer had him at #3 on my board and that was in a virtual dead heat with Svechnikov.

He is a special player. Vancouver is about to be my second favorite team to watch with him and Pettersson they are going to be one of the most entertaining teams in the league.

Reactions: Grantham

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
maybe this is a bit off-topic but why hasn't Edler resigned in Van?? I have heard he wants to stay, the team wants him as well, and would he not be the perfect mentor for Hughes?? our Hawks board has discussed on numerous occasions how a guy like Edler would help our young blue line as well - so what gives??

Canucks will work on an extension starting next week. Although I hope they walk away from Edler, because of his status on the team, it doesn't allow other players to play in key situations like PP1. I think it's simply time to move on from the old core.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanDream

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Canucks will work on an extension starting next week. Although I hope they walk away from Edler, because of his status on the them, it doesn't allow other players to play in key situations like PP1. I think it's simply time to move on from the old core.

So wrong it hurts.

I tempered my expectations for Quinn before his 5 game stint and the guy has got me super excited again. Super impressed so far.

Reactions: Szechwan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad