LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, NCAA (2018, 7th, VAN) Part Three...

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
I only watched parts of the game last night but a few times the Blues had the Canucks stuck in their own zone and when Hughes came on he was able to get the puck out of his own end with a controlled entry.

He had a significant impact for a rookie defenseman.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
With him and Pettersson going to the worlds, it’ll be nice to get to see them some more.

Very impressed with Quinn for the whole stint of games he played. Defensively my fears were put to rest. There are aspects of the defensive side he will struggle with because of his size, but he is actually quite strong. His skating is just ridiculous though. The two OTs I got to see him in were absolutely electric and displayed his acceleration and edges as elite.

His shot is a bit weak, but he’ll improve no doubt. He actually got robbed of a goal in the final game. The shot beat the goalie, but Schaller was in behind and actually blocked it with his head I think. Tim just keeps on giving!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
maybe this is a bit off-topic but why hasn't Edler resigned in Van?? I have heard he wants to stay, the team wants him as well, and would he not be the perfect mentor for Hughes?? our Hawks board has discussed on numerous occasions how a guy like Edler would help our young blue line as well - so what gives??

Jim benning doesn’t like to talk contract in the middle of the season. He was also injured for many parts of the season too, so were not sure what he wants.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He is a very special talent.
It's so remarkably hard to find a comparison to the way Quinn plays hockey
A pure playmaking Defender who literally skates around people at ease.
Had his first goal of the year on a beautiful slapshot, and a perfect pass on a 2 on 1.

Reactions: Starships

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
3 points (1 goal, 2 assists) in 3 games to start this season, and 6 points (1 goal, 5 assists) in 8 games to start his career.

What a dynamic talent on the blueline! I feel blessed as a Canuck fan to be able to add him to our core.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
3 points (1 goal, 2 assists) in 3 games to start this season, and 6 points (1 goal, 5 assists) in 8 games to start his career.

What a dynamic talent on the blueline! I feel blessed as a Canuck fan to be able to add him to our core.

What a player. Him and Dobson are the clear #2 and #3 defenders of their draft year.

Nobody else is particularly close, either.

Reactions: NuxFan09

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's an absolutely unique player that I haven't seen in 20 years of watching hockey. The best comparison I can come up with is Patrick Kane on defence, he controls the play and drives the entire offence when he's on the ice.

It's not just about getting assists or goals with him, it's the way he skates in all directions, holding the puck longer until a play opens up, and the way he transitions the play from the defensive zone. He's also very decent on checking players and retrieving pucks.

He's going to be a number 1 D.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
He's an absolutely unique player that I haven't seen in 20 years of watching hockey. The best comparison I can come up with is Patrick Kane on defence, he controls the play and drives the entire offence when he's on the ice.

It's not just about getting assists or goals with him, it's the way he skates in all directions, holding the puck longer until a play opens up, and the way he transitions the play from the defensive zone. He's also very decent on checking players and retrieving pucks.

He's going to be a number 1 D.
From what I saw last year he needs to keep getting better defensively or at least have a very responsible d partner to be a #1/elite top 2 defenseman, but he has all the potential to be

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
From what I saw last year he needs to keep getting better defensively or at least have a very responsible d partner to be a #1/elite top 2 defenseman, but he has all the potential to be
Other than a few plays, he has looked good defensively so far this year, miles better than last year.

mostly due to his effort and work ethic.

Here is a good example

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Other than a few plays, he has looked good defensively so far this year, miles better than last year.

mostly due to his effort and work ethic.

Here is a good example

Don't get me wrong, he is actually pretty good defensively for a guy as offensively talented as he is, but at least in college he took a ton of risks and his skating was what compensated for them. I'm just talking about him as a premier #1... once he figures out what he can get away with and seize opportunities he can definitely be a stud at both ends

Reactions: Canucks LB

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
This is a special and very uniquer player. I can't recall many players who have played his style of game. From the way he skates, to the huge follow through on his passes, he just looks different on the ice.

Biggest question marks for this guy were if he would be able to play well enough defensively, and if his style of play would work for someone his size against NHLers. Small sample size, but he looks more than capable defensively, and has been as effective as expected, if not more, at bringing the puck up the ice.

Dahlin and Heiskanen are obviously on their own tier of young D stars, but I feel Quinn Hughes has the ability be very close to that tier. If he plays 20 minutes a game consistently, he could easily be a 40 pt player and work his way into thew Calder conversation.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This is a special and very uniquer player. I can't recall many players who have played his style of game. From the way he skates, to the huge follow through on his passes, he just looks different on the ice.

Biggest question marks for this guy were if he would be able to play well enough defensively, and if his style of play would work for someone his size against NHLers. Small sample size, but he looks more than capable defensively, and has been as effective as expected, if not more, at bringing the puck up the ice.

Dahlin and Heiskanen are obviously on their own tier of young D stars, but I feel Quinn Hughes has the ability be very close to that tier. If he plays 20 minutes a game consistently, he could easily be a 40 pt player and work his way into thew Calder conversation.

Dahlin yes but I wouldn't trade Hughes for Heiskanen. Heiskanen is a great defenceman in his own regard but Hughes is much more unique.

Hughes playing style is something that I have never seen before from a defenceman.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
I am calling 50+ pts for Hughes this season. I knew he was a tremendous skater, but his shooting, breakout passes, and defensive acumen are all above what I expected. It's only a matter of time before Green puts him on PP1 and he really starts to produce.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hughes, Boeser, Demko, Gaudette, etc - pains me so much as a Hawks fan to have to like these kids now lol...Hughes was simply awesome last night, the goal he scored I almost dropped my food on the floor..my 11 year old (who plays fantasy hockey with us) said was that Hughes?? I said yep, he looked at me in disbelief and said I didn't think he could shoot like that being so little!! lol...neither did the league my son, neither did the league!

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Imo he's Vancouver's best player. Can see him getting 50-70pts a season

No slight to Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, and Markstrom but I do agree that Hughes is going to be the best of the bunch. That bodes very well for this teams future.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Dahlin yes but I wouldn't trade Hughes for Heiskanen. Heiskanen is a great defenceman in his own regard but Hughes is much more unique.

Hughes playing style is something that I have never seen before from a defenceman.

Imo he's Vancouver's best player. Can see him getting 50-70pts a season

No slight to Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, and Markstrom but I do agree that Hughes is going to be the best of the bunch. That bodes very well for this teams future.

Relax.

Last edited:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I think Hughes is a superstar.

I also think that his escapability as a defenseman (i.e. turning a cornered situation under a hard forecheck into a favourable situation by burning 2 or 3 attackers) is on par with the all time greats. I haven't seen many who can do that like him. Coffey, Niedermayer, obviously Orr.

I'm not calling Hughes a generational player, obviously, but he's a superstar and he has semi-generational tools.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I think Hughes is a superstar.

I also think that his escapability as a defenseman (i.e. turning a cornered situation under a hard forecheck into a favourable situation by burning 2 or 3 attackers) is on par with the all time greats. I haven't seen many who can do that like him. Coffey, Niedermayer, obviously Orr.

I'm not calling Hughes a generational player, obviously, but he's a superstar and he has semi-generational tools.
He can do a lot of stuff that most NHLers can't and the rest he can figure out. If he's committed to it he could be seriously big time especially the way the game is going, he's tailor made for the 'new NHL'

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad