LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Short tourney sure, but he was the most impressive player the entire way through for D

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Brady Skjei as is currently.

The size, skating, the carrying the puck out, the not knowing what to do with it, the ok play in his own end.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Good thing you are around to let the NHL amateur scouts know to look out for that. You can start with the 10 McKenzie uses.

I've watched Broberg attentively the last couple of months in the SHL and at the U18, and I find him to make poor decisions with the puck at times (with space to create with to booth) that hint at a lack of hockey sense. It's my opinion and I could be wrong obviously (as I am about many things, including Artyom Minulin's potential as an NHLer back in 2017), but I'm not the only one that sees it that way.

And as an aside, yes McKenzie's list is the best, and the best by a country mile, but it is also not perfect. For instance, I remember shaking my head in disbelief when Crouse was ranked ahead of guys like Provorov and Barzal in 2015.

I just think that McKenzie's scouts ranking Broberg at 9 is overvaluing him, nothing wrong with that. A fairer ranking from Broberg would be in-between 12 to 20 in my opinion.

Last edited:

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I've watched Broberg attentively the last couple of months in the SHL and at the U18, and I find him to make poor decisions with the puck at times (with space to create with to booth) that hint at a lack of hockey sense. It's my opinion and I could be wrong obviously (as I am about many things, including Artyom Minulin's potential as an NHLer back in 2017), but I'm not the only one that sees it that way.

And as an aside, yes McKenzie's list is the best, and the best by a country mile, but it is also not perfect. For instance, I remember shaking my head in disbelief when Crouse was ranked ahead of guys like Provorov and Barzal in 2015.

I just think that McKenzie's scouts ranking Broberg at 9 is overvaluing him, nothing wrong with that. A fairer ranking from Broberg would be in-between 12 to 20 in my opinion.

You know that he played in the Allsvenskan, right?

You also know that the played a lesser role for AIK the last few months before sticking to J20, right?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Pronman said in an article that he’s heard at least one team talk about him in consideration for #3OA

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Is there a more polarizing prospect in the first round of the draft this year. Sometimes I see him on rankings or in mocks going top 10, and in others very late in the first round.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
It’s a lot of projection and I get it.

Looked great at U18 and at J20 was at a rate as good as Boqvist.

I just don’t see him as a 1st pair D because he is meh running a PP in a 4F 1D world and o have never seen proper puck separation skills that I want to see from a 1st pair player at either J20 or Allsvenskan.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I don’t know what the media were watching but Bjornfot and Hedstrom were the best defenders for Sweden in literally every aspect of defending and attacking. There is nothing creative about Broberg’s game. Ok so he’s big, physical and a graceful skater who likes to shoot the puck.

I’m leaning towards dropping him behind Bjornfot and I’ve felt this way for several months.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I'm still torn on him, he has all the tools and has decent defense for his age. But he's too slow to make plays imo, especially in the neutral zone and on the power play.

Unless he starts to put it all together I don't see his offense translating into NHL. Hope I'm wrong though because he has some great qualities.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotProkofievian

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I don’t know what the media were watching but Bjornfot and Hedstrom were the best defenders for Sweden in literally every aspect of defending and attacking. There is nothing creative about Broberg’s game. Ok so he’s big, physical and a graceful skater who likes to shoot the puck.

I’m leaning towards dropping him behind Bjornfot and I’ve felt this way for several months.

Hedström was certainly not better than Broberg in any way, especially not defensively. There is an argument for Björnfot though, he finished the tournament stronger than Broberg.

Reactions: Vesperia

novon04

Dec 21, 2011

And yet Hedström and Björnfot had 1 assist each in the tournament while Broberg had 6 points.

Broberg is not a poweplay QB but not every defenceman needs to be. To me he looks a lot like Mattias Ekholm, not an offensive dman first and foremost but can suddenly go for an offensive rush catching the opposition off guard.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
And yet Hedström and Björnfot had 1 assist each in the tournament while Broberg had 6 points.

Broberg is not a poweplay QB but not every defenceman needs to be. To me he looks a lot like Mattias Ekholm, not an offensive dman first and foremost but can suddenly go for an offensive rush catching the opposition off guard.

Points are only a small part of an overall performance. Bobby Brink had more points than Dmitry Sheshin. Does that mean Brink had the better tournament? Certainly not.

Broberg is boom or bust. Plain and simple. The other two play a cleaner game with excellent mobility to boot. Still ranking Broberg higher because of his ceiling but I think later on I’ll wish I hadn’t.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Points are only a small part of an overall performance. Bobby Brink had more points than Dmitry Sheshin. Does that mean Brink had the better tournament? Certainly not.

Broberg is boom or bust. Plain and simple. The other two play a cleaner game with excellent mobility to boot. Still ranking Broberg higher because of his ceiling but I think later on I’ll wish I hadn’t.
Soderstrom best of the bunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad