LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I said it elsewhere, but there's a lot in Broberg that reminds me of Connor Murphy back in the day. He's obviously got a much bigger sample size of healthy play, but it's a lot of this same sort of projection. He's big, he can skate well, he's usually a safe responsible defender...he's got big upside. I'm not as sure. I just wonder about his instincts when he hits that offensive blueline. I think he might be a bit "safe" in that he'll play, but it feels like so much of the upside projection is just based on the fact he's a big defenceman who can skate pretty well. Some of it may be coaching, but i just can't help but wonder how naturally he thinks the offensive side of the game.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I think the decent skater, skates pretty well comments are really underselling his skating. It's excellent. He also handles the puck well when skating at high speed and while not displaying the greatest vision his passing is good technically. Advanced defensively for his age as well. I think the reason scouts are so intrigued by him is ofc the skating but also that he's on a pretty steep upwards trajectory in his development, you see this kid where a lot of the major stuff is already in place and if he can tweak a couple of minor things there's massive upside.
And if he can't make those tweaks there's still a good chance you get a guy like the above mentioned Klefbom who's not a #1 D but still a guy who can play on your top pairing and doing fine(when healthy...).

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I just see bust written all over him and because of a single good tournament performance people are starting to over hype him.

He's had long stretches of good play this year. Doubt you've seen him play very much if you think the Hlinka was his only good tournament.

Reactions: AB13

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
How does he compare to Chabot? Both style-wise & as a pre-draft prospect. I feel like Chabot has better offensive instincts but don't recall how he was pre-draft.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see anything special with Broberg. Like absolute best case a #4 defender.

I see him as a decent skating defensive defender. Definitely not worth picking in the first half of the first round.
Broberg is not a " decent skater". He flies by other players like they are standing still. Don't know how you can miss that, and expect your opinion to be taken seriously. He also has great size, good strength, and a good shot.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Broberg is literally the most dynamic and mobile defenseman in the draft, and by a mile the best skater. He has all the tools to become a number one defenceman, watch him play and you will see him make very skilled plays all the time.

He uses his stick brilliantly, is a great passer, is a good goalscorer, has solid hands, is strong physically and defends well. He is a threat from everywhere in the offensive zone and knows how to create offence. His decision making is good from what I have seen, he has much more than just elite speed.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Isn't he considered the 2nd best skater in the entire draft?

The best or second best, and he has so much more than just skating. Passing, physicality, transition game, a hard shot, good decision making offensively and good stick work..

Reactions: JMD53

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
He really should be a top 10 or even top 5 pick, he has the skating, passing, shooting, defensive awareness and mobility to be one.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Broberg is literally the most dynamic and mobile defenseman in the draft, and by a mile the best skater. He has all the tools to become a number one defenceman, watch him play and you will see him make very skilled plays all the time.

He uses his stick brilliantly, is a great passer, is a good goalscorer, has solid hands, is strong physically and defends well. He is a threat from everywhere in the offensive zone and knows how to create offence. His decision making is good from what I have seen, he much more than just elite speed.

makes me question if you have actually watch the kid, not trying to be a dick but. Yes Broberg is probably the fastest south-north skater but he could work on his edges... wich doesn't make him the "Best Dman skater". I agree that he uses his stick very well and is extremly underrated in his own zone. he's got a decent shot too, i feel like his playmaking abilities rigth now are mehh, he's got a solid first pass but other than that he's very effective but predictable in the Ozone. Where i strongly disagree with you is you say he has good hands, it's by far the thing he has to work on... the kid has one gear and it's 100 miles/hour but his hands doesn't matches his motor at all. his stick handling is kinda sloppy and stiff. I do think Broberg is very raw and if he fixes these things and polish his game he could be a good top pairing Dman and a steal in this draft!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I just see bust written all over him and because of a single good tournament performance people are starting to over hype him.
Two, right? Hlinka and U18s.

Wasn't out of place at the U20s either despite being 17.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Just started watching more of him, wow, he seems like a complete package. Definitely top-10 talent imo, possibly even close to the top-5.

As a Wings fan, I'm really torn, I wish we had two high 1st rounders, one would be used on a center and the other I would take Broberg easily.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If he really was as good as you guys are saying then why do most scouting agencies have him out of the top 10, some by quite a bit

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Just started watching more of him, wow, he seems like a complete package. Definitely top-10 talent imo, possibly even close to the top-5.

As a Wings fan, I'm really torn, I wish we had two high 1st rounders, one would be used on a center and the other I would take Broberg easily.
don't we all wish?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
makes me question if you have actually watch the kid, not trying to be a dick but. Yes Broberg is probably the fastest south-north skater but he could work on his edges... wich doesn't make him the "Best Dman skater". I agree that he uses his stick very well and is extremly underrated in his own zone. he's got a decent shot too, i feel like his playmaking abilities rigth now are mehh, he's got a solid first pass but other than that he's very effective but predictable in the Ozone. Where i strongly disagree with you is you say he has good hands, it's by far the thing he has to work on... the kid has one gear and it's 100 miles/hour but his hands doesn't matches his motor at all. his stick handling is kinda sloppy and stiff. I do think Broberg is very raw and if he fixes these things and polish his game he could be a good top pairing Dman and a steal in this draft!

His edge work is great too, he always evades traffic or tough situations, I do think he has close to the best edge work of any defenseman in this class, better than Byrams, and just as good as the edge work of Söderström, Harley or Heinola. I certainly don't think you are right about his hands, I think they are very good, but lets see. I do think he is relatively creative but not insanely creative, far from players like a Dahlin, Hughes or Boqvist last year. He reminds me of Miro Heiskanen in a lot of ways, in both the offensive and defensive zone.

Last edited:

Oliewud

May 13, 2013

He uses his stick brilliantly, is a great passer, is a good goalscorer, has solid hands, is strong physically and defends well. He is a threat from everywhere in the offensive zone and knows how to create offence. His decision making is good from what I have seen, he has much more than just elite speed.

This is what I see too. But then you have others saying he's going to bust and has low IQ.

Makes no sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad