LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
My problem I have with him is his offense seems to come from him rushing the puck from coast to coast and bringing it to the net himself (mostly shot or wrap around). It shows is skating, puck protection and puck handling are all very good at that level, but I'm afraid that type of offense won't work in the NHL. Is he intellegent enough to change his game at the pro level? Use his teamates more? The answer to these questions willl make the difference between a top 15 pick and a 20-30 selection imo. I haven't watch him play in the SHL, but some might be able to answer the questions already? Very intriguing prospect. Elite tools to work with imo.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If he drops to the Sens (currently 19) I'd have no issue with them taking Broberg. He a little raw but is only going to get better imo. Great wheels. Elite skating.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Really think he goes #9 to the Ducks. As a Ducks fan I'm hoping one of the top centers fall, but knowing the Ducks scouting they probably value a guy like Broberg higher anyway.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Really think he goes #9 to the Ducks. As a Ducks fan I'm hoping one of the top centers fall, but knowing the Ducks scouting they probably value a guy like Broberg higher anyway.
They already have a player that skates real fast and can go coast to cost that has no east west mobility in guhle

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
That's his biggest asset now think of all the best defensive players in the nhl and tell me whos biggest asset is skating fast in a straight line, he doesn't have karlsson vision or shot or creativity. Everyone else is good east to west.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
That's his biggest asset now think of all the best defensive players in the nhl and tell me whos biggest asset is skating fast in a straight line, he doesn't have karlsson vision or shot or creativity. Everyone else is good east to west.

He'd be the slam dunk 1st overall this year if he had Karlsson's vision and creativity. You are setting the bar way too high. Broberg can shoot the puck and he's strong in his own end. I don't think his rushes will translate very well to the NHL but he's still a pretty good prospect.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You don't have to rush end to end to be an effective PMD in the NHL. All you need is two strides. If Broberg isn't a dope and has the ability to learn, then ya gotta like that size and skating. Just keep him in the SHL, which is a terrific league for learning to play D, and bring him over in a year or two. Haven't seen enough of him to say just how good his edgework and backwards skating are, but he sure isn't a guy who just goes in a straight line.

If you think his floor will be as a second pairing guy, then you have to take him, because his physical tools are first pairing worthy.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
The advantage of having a defenceman who can skate as he does is the ease at which he can exit the defensive zone. Zone exits from the hash marks down seem to be one of his strengths, which will make him an effective puck rusher in the NHL. He is a very impressive skater. As long as he knows the defensive side of the game and can maintain proper gap control, he will be an NHL defenceman.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I'd rather have someone (especially a D man) who excels at north south; than someone who struggles with the speed of north south but is killer east west.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The advantage of having a defenceman who can skate as he does is the ease at which he can exit the defensive zone. Zone exits from the hash marks down seem to be one of his strengths, which will make him an effective puck rusher in the NHL. He is a very impressive skater. As long as he knows the defensive side of the game and can maintain proper gap control, he will be an NHL defenceman.

Puck retrieva (speed to puck), win puck battles, zone exits (skating), zone exits (first pass) , D reads and gap control, hold the offensive blue line, get pucks thru, mistake free.

check, check, check, check., check, check, check, no check

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis

Karlsson didnt have Karlsson's shot or creativity. The only player that had at that age recently was Dahlin, and he was touted as the best defensive draft prospect since Dennis Potvin.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Karlsson didnt have Karlsson's shot or creativity. The only player that had at that age recently was Dahlin, and he was touted as the best defensive draft prospect since Dennis Potvin.

Karlsson was always seen as a pretty high end prospect by talent and creativity with the puck but it was his size that scared people away. He weighed what like 150 at the draft? Plus there was some major concerns on his defensive play. His shot definitely got better but his size and defensive play was always the main concern.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not saying anyone should go to the bank on what Button says but he was asked in today's game;

"Is Broberg the best defensive prospect at the tournament"

Button said "definitely or absolutely" .. now lots of room for debate on it I realize but Button has stayed pretty high on him since his coming out party at the Hlinka.

I agree with him if we are talking strictly best case upside but he is more raw. Like I said if he fell as far as 18/19 and the Sens manage to hang on to that position I would not be at all upset with the pick. I expect him to go 12-16 range

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not saying anyone should go to the bank on what Button says but he was asked in today's game;

"Is Broberg the best defensive prospect at the tournament"

Button said "definitely or absolutely" .. now lots of room for debate on it I realize but Button has stayed pretty high on him since his coming out party at the Hlinka.

I agree with him if we are talking strictly best case upside but he is more raw. Like I said if he fell as far as 18/19 and the Sens manage to hang on to that position I would not be at all upset with the pick. I expect him to go 12-16 range

Button is very reactionary, especially when you put him on the spot. You can see it in the way he calls games. He gets very entrenched in his opinion. Until something happens and he completely flips to the other side.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Button is very reactionary, especially when you put him on the spot. You can see it in the way he calls games. He gets very entrenched in his opinion. Until something happens and he completely flips to the other side.
Yah I know he definitely comes across like that and he tends to latch on to players he likes.

I think Broberg could ligitimately be at the top of some scouts lists over Heinola, Soderstrom, Harvey, York, Seider, Bjornfoot.

Not everyone is looking for the same kind of package. I think Rightys have a bit of an advantage in the draft rankings as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad