LD Pavel Mintyukov (2022, 10th, ANA)

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
He won’t fall far enough for the Kings to grab him unless they can move up. He is the exact type of prospect we need. Viewed of Sergachev.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think it's between him and Korchinski for third defender taken. I like Mateychuk too but I'm not sure his skills pop as much at the next level as Minty or KK.

I could see either or both (Minty and KK) sneaking into the top 10 - depending on what position teams are targeting.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think it's between him and Korchinski for third defender taken. I like Mateychuk too but I'm not sure his skills pop as much at the next level as Minty or KK.

I could see either or both (Minty and KK) sneaking into the top 10 - depending on what position teams are targeting.
I think both are gone in that 10-15 range. I don't see anyone drafting a LHD in the top-9 picks but any one of Anaheim, San Jose, Columbus, and those next few spots will grab them.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That kid is a HUGE upside player. Has all the tools to become a top pairing defenseman and a future PP quarterback. I have him 5th OV on my list.

That's exactly where I have Mintyukov too. 5th.

His team uses him as a rover and I think he gets an unfair rep for his defense because of that, but he's technically very capable at D. He's physically strong, and has no mechanical weaknesses, his skating is flawless in every direction. Very different from Korchinski who can't play D even if he tries.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
That's exactly where I have Mintyukov too. 5th.

His team uses him as a rover and I think he gets an unfair rep for his defense because of that, but he's technically very capable at D. He's physically strong, and has no mechanical weaknesses, his skating is flawless in every direction. Very different from Korchinski who can't play D even if he tries.
Thats my view as well, IQ pretty underrated, kid's progression was phenomenal and it will only trend up. He and Kasper are 2 big time risers.

Reactions: bsu

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He won't be able to play his rover style at the NHL level but he should be able to be molded into a top 4 offensive D with his dynamic skillset and tools.

Development curve seems pretty steep too, going from 3 points in 33 games in the MHL to about a PPG in the OHL in a year.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
He won't be able to play his rover style at the NHL level but he should be able to be molded into a top 4 offensive D with his dynamic skillset and tools.

Development curve seems pretty steep too, going from 3 points in 33 games in the MHL to about a PPG in the OHL in a year.

Saginaw was really bad this year and dealt with a ton of injuries. I think next season hes going to put up some insane numbers with some of the additions saginaw has made up front ie Micheal Misa

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Saginaw was really bad this year and dealt with a ton of injuries. I think next season hes going to put up some insane numbers with some of the additions saginaw has made up front ie Micheal Misa

He led his team in scoring from the D, which is very rare.

Don't think that will happen next year but his numbers should increase as his passing options improve.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hadn't looked much into this dude until I saw a mock where the Kings took him, was shocked that such a player may be available and not surprised at all to see people have him much, much higher :laugh:

I guess a guy can pray to the hockey gods.

Reactions: kinghock

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Hadn't looked much into this dude until I saw a mock where the Kings took him, was shocked that such a player may be available and not surprised at all to see people have him much, much higher :laugh:

I think if Kings really want him, they need to trade up for him.

I believe he will go10-12 in this draft

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

This draft is so wide open after around 5 or 6. There are legitimately so many players that can go from 6 to around 20 and it wouldn't be surprising.
I feel like I see "I think he'll go top 10" in so many threads of the guys that are poised to go within that 20. It's indicative of a deep draft.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

If ducks go dmen at 10, he is the guy I’m hoping for

Yep I think the ducks will go him if certain forwards are off the board

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Russian Defenceman Pavel Mintyukov was drafted in the 1st round, 52nd overall by the Saginaw Spirit in the 2020 CHL Import Draft. Due to Covid, the 2020-21 season was wiped out, and Mintyukov missed a year of hockey. However, it has not seemed to hurt the Moscow-native as he had an outstanding season this year. Mintyukov put up 17 goals and 45 assists for 62 points in 67 games. His numbers are even more impressive when you consider the fact that the Spirit were the second-worst team in the league this year. He also played in the CHL Top Prospects Game.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Combine had him at 6 foot 1.5, which is going to help with Mateychuk coming in at only 5 foot 10.5.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Gunna be fascinating to see where he goes. Huge boom/bust, remarkable skater & capable in all areas. Has some of that Makar element in how he can push the pace.

Needs to find a balance with his risk taking, but great players can generally adjust & he's a great player.

Could be anything from a play driving top pair D to playing <50 games imo.

Reactions: grentthealien

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Gunna be fascinating to see where he goes. Huge boom/bust, remarkable skater & capable in all areas. Has some of that Makar element in how he can push the pace.

Needs to find a balance with his risk taking, but great players can generally adjust & he's a great player.

The risk taking aspect gets overblown IMO. Lazary’s style is totally fine with guys making mistakes. When you’re attacking you don’t have a LW, C, RW, LD, RD, you have 5 skaters. They’re weren’t a lot of strong scoring options this year so Mintyukov was given the green light to make stuff happen. Saginaw is going to be much better this season and he won’t be asked to take as many chances. It’s not really going to be him adjusting so much as his role is going to change.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I really don't see bust risk here. Mintyukov should be capable of playing a variety of roles, depending on what he's coached to do.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
Saginaw Product AND played LD? I think the isles will end up taking mintyukov. A very good offensive defenseman goes a long way in todays NHL

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Saginaw Product AND played LD? I think the isles will end up taking mintyukov. A very good offensive defenseman goes a long way in todays NHL
I honestly don’t think he makes it to #13 at this point. Especially when right in front your have the Blue Jackets with their second first round at #12.

But a Sergachev/Gonchar-esque defensive prospect would definitely add a new dimension to the Isles system.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1