LD Pavel Mintyukov (2022, 10th, ANA)

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
It would be great to see him get that international competition and maybe he can make the WJHC if not this year next for sure.
Their should be some consideration like our NHL draft with kids who are born Oct, Nov and Dec. to give them a chance to develop at a more competitive level.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Spirit win 5-3, Mintyukov with a G + 2A and gets a SHG to boot. He certainly has his development on track. Possibly a top 20 pick.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
McKenzie called him a high riser with a bullet - I think he’ll go top 10! Excellent prospect

Reactions: bsu

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
WJC is an 18/19 year old tournament. Michkov is an underager.
But I guess we have different definitions of “underager”
WJC is essentially a 19 year old tournament plus truly exceptional players. If you play in your draft year, you are an under age player. Michkov would be double under age player; that is more rare and much more exceptional.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
You should. Elite defenseman in the making, kid is outstanding, high end skills with huge IQ. I have him ranked 4th OV.
I've seen only about 4 Saginaw games this year but I feel like for every 2 or 3 sensational plays he does in a game there's one high risk play that doesn't go his way and it costs their team a goal against or 2min in the box. On Windsor's 6-3 goal last night he tries to deke around forward on the offensive blueline, fails, puck goes the other way, a moment later he's in DZ behind the goal line to retrieve it but throws a blind pass behind the net right on the tape of Spitfires forechecker. It's just one example but plays like that have made it hard for me to assess his hockey IQ.

Couldn't find a tweet of the goal but the play starts at around 5:12 mark on the highlights.

Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I've seen only about 4 Saginaw games this year but I feel like for every 2 or 3 sensational plays he does in a game there's one high risk play that doesn't go his way and it costs their team a goal against or 2min in the box. On Windsor's 6-3 goal last night he tries to deke around forward on the offensive blueline, fails, puck goes the other way, a moment later he's in DZ behind the goal line to retrieve it but throws a blind pass behind the net right on the tape of Spitfires forechecker. It's just one example but plays like that have made it hard for me to assess his hockey IQ.

Couldn't find a tweet of the goal but the play starts at around 5:12 mark on the highlights.

This is my read as well. I still like him quite a bit, but for his potential, not for his readiness. He makes all kinds of BS, weak passes all game long (lame back passes when he should be looking to break out) makes needlessly risky choices (trying to line walk when the defender is right on top of him, for example) that will lead to goals against in the NHL.

But he can do things that few if any other prospects in the draft can do. I would rather have a prospect that you can reign in than try to teach a prospect something new.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
This is my read as well. I still like him quite a bit, but for his potential, not for his readiness. He makes all kinds of BS, weak passes all game long (lame back passes when he should be looking to break out) makes needlessly risky choices (trying to line walk when the defender is right on top of him, for example) that will lead to goals against in the NHL.

But he can do things that few if any other prospects in the draft can do. I would rather have a prospect that you can reign in than try to teach a prospect something new.

I feel the same way. He is hard kid to project. He has some elite tools like his skating, but it kinda feels that his head does not keep up with his skills.

I am not sure if the right way for him to go forward should be just to simplify simplify simplify...

and see what happens after that.

He has enough tools to be good player, he just needs some guidance on how to use them.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Didnt watch the game, but he played at the CHL prospects game the night before, a very demanding effort in front of the scouts, I wasnt expecting him to have a great night yesterday TBH.

Mintyukov will play the clock on a very poor Saginaw team. When his team is trailing in a game, will take more risks, but most of the times, will jump in the play smartly and get back positionnaly on time when his team loses the puck. His all around game isnt perfect, still needs a bit of refine, but he plays smart, just makes so many great plays all the times and some of them wont be noticed by everyone. His positionning is pretty solid, knows where to be and his high end skating allow him to cover a large part of the ice. Defensively, he isnt overly physical like a Guhle, but still very strong and solid, you wont beat him 1 on 1.

The potential is huge IMO, this kid isnt only flashy, he is a great hockey player.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Finished the season with 17 goals and 62 points in 67 games.

2 goals, 8 assists in his last 7 games.

26 points in his last 20 games of the season. - great finish

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
An exciting potential prospect which I wouldn't mind the Canucks drafting

I think he might clash with Hughes a bit. And the Canucks have plenty of LD. Well, he kind of reminds me of Hughes a bit, all though he has better size. And he's been described as a "4th forward." Feel like the Canucks need a more robust, defensively minded top D. Nemec and Jiricek would obviously fit that mold to a tee. And they def could use a RD. Actually think Chesley or Luneau would be perfect for them around where they are drafting. A better fit than Minty. Which isn't a knock on Minty. And I actually wouldn't be shocked if the Nucks took a chance on Chesley or Luneau though with that #15 pick actually.

I think he's a terrific prospect, but a project for sure. I could see the Jets, CBJ and the like taking a chance on him where they are picking. Or a team later in the 1st, like the Caps, Habs, Coyotes, Penguins etc.. But if I had to guess right now, I'd say either the Jets take him or CBJ takes him with their 2nd pick. His offensive game is crazy good.

Last edited:

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I think he might clash with Hughes a bit. And the Canucks have plenty of LD. Well, he kind of reminds me of Hughes a bit, all though he has better size. And he's been described as a "4th forward." Feel like the Canucks need a more robust, defensively minded top D. Nemec and Jiricek would obviously fit that mold to a tee. And they def could use a RD. Actually think Chesley or Luneau would be perfect for them around where they are drafting. A better fit than Minty. Which isn't a knock on Minty. And I actually wouldn't be shocked if the Nucks took a chance on Chesley or Luneau though with that #15 pick actually.

I think he's a terrific prospect, but a project for sure. I could see the Jets, CBJ and the like taking a chance on him where they are picking. Or a team later in the 1st, like the Caps, Habs, Coyotes, Penguins etc.. But if I had to guess right now, I'd say either the Jets take him or CBJ takes him with their 2nd pick. His offensive game is crazy good.
Agreed, Canucks do have a logjam on the LD side with Hughes, OEL, and Rathbone as we do lack RD. Just that Minyukov's potential is just intriguing to me haha.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad