Prospect Info: LD Olli Juolevi - London Knights - 5th Overall 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
Didn't Central scouting say after combine that they see 2 players with top pairing potential, Juolevi and Serg, 2 with top3 potential, Chychrun and McAvoy?

I think so. I think most GMs were essentially saying there were no Ekblad's in this draft but a few guys who could be first pairing dmen.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Even if we have Horvat hit 60 points next year we will still need a 1C.

For now

Sedin
Horvat
Sutter
Granlund

Post Sedin

Horvat
______
Sutter
Granlund

OR

_____
Horvat
Sutter
Granlund

Either way we need a 2C if Horvat is a 1C and the best way to get a 2C is to draft a 1C and drop Bo to 2C.

We need a 1C

If Horvat hits 60 pts next year we've found our number 1C... If he hits 60 pts in the NHL as a 21 year old that's showing he's got that #1C upside. Don't count this kid out.. Look how much of an improvement he made with his skating, he's going to be focused on improving his game all the time, he's got the smarts, skill and work ethic to work his way to being a number 1 C.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Edmonton would take Tkachuk
We take PLD
Clagary take Juolevi
Sergachev was never gonna cracked the top 6

Actually someone in the media said that the Oilers were all lined up to take Sergachev at 4 until JP fell into their lap

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
If Horvat hits 60 pts next year we've found our number 1C... If he hits 60 pts in the NHL as a 21 year old that's showing he's got that #1C upside. Don't count this kid out.. Look how much of an improvement he made with his skating, he's going to be focused on improving his game all the time, he's got the smarts, skill and work ethic to work his way to being a number 1 C.

He's everything that Cody should've been....

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
No pro scout has him pegged as a top pairing guy. So if he's our default "# 1" we are in big trouble.

No, that's not quite true. Many scouts believe that he is going to be a top pairing defenseman. Think that he is seen as a #2 type instead of a Norris-contending #1 one though.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
The good thing about Juolevi is that he's a defensemen and there is always that doubt about any defensemen being a #1.

I remember there were doubts that Ekblad could be a #1 D-man. There are literally always doubts about defensemen and their potential. Not saying that every D-man lives up/exceeds his potential. But usually with high-IQ defensemen there is a higher chance of them exceeding expectations. Another positive sign is that Juolevi is in a fantastic program in London.

So who knows. Maybe next season he adds some creativity and flash into his game and we are looking at a completely different defensemen.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Olii Juolevi 57 gp 9 g 33 a 42 pts
Matt Finn 61 gp 10 g 38 a 48 pts

3 100 point players (121, 116, 107) vs. 3 top scorers with 75, 60 and 59
both 17 year old LHD in the OHL
5th overall 2016 vs 2nd round 2012

hope to god he doesn't track the same

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

What does this post even mean...two completely different players. Thats like comparing Dineen's numbers to Ekblad in their draft years based on numbers.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
What does this post even mean...two completely different players. Thats like comparing Dineen's numbers to Ekblad in their draft years based on numbers.

Finn and Juolevi are closer as comparable (2-way D noted for defensive play) than Dineen and Ekblad (massive size difference and LHD vs RHD). Try two other examples

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Finn and Juolevi are closer as comparable (2-way D noted for defensive play) than Dineen and Ekblad (massive size difference and LHD vs RHD). Try two other examples

No they arent... its two different players and you used numbers only.

Juolevi is an elite skater with amazing hockey iq. Matt Finn isnt in his class. Please.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Actually someone in the media said that the Oilers were all lined up to take Sergachev at 4 until JP fell into their lap

Ryan rishaug who covers the oilers and is pretty reliable said they were going to take Juolevi. Either way PLD would've dropped to us if CBJ didn't pick him.

Nevermind it Wasn't rishaug , don't know where I saw it now.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
No they arent... its two different players and you used numbers only.

Yes.. Finn and Juolevi are closer comparable than Dineen and Ekblad, next.

And yes I used #s that's why Hampus Lindholm and OEL weren't compared

banme*

Jun 7, 2014

The analysis king strikes again.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Yes.. Finn and Juolevi are closer comparable than Dineen and Ekblad, next.

And yes I used #s that's why Hampus Lindholm and OEL weren't compared

No, my point was that Finn and Juolevi arent comparable players. My example of Dineen and Ekblad was to make fun of you on how bad of a comparison that s. Dineen and Ekblad ARENT comparable. That is my exact point. Nice reading comprehension.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
No, my point was that Finn and Juolevi arent comparable players. My example of Dineen and Ekblad was to make fun of you on how bad of a comparison that s. Dineen and Ekblad ARENT comparable. That is my exact point. Nice reading comprehension.

And my point is Finn and Juolevi is a better comparison than Ekblad and Dineen :shrug:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
attack the Finn comparison when OEL and Hampus Lindholm have widely different skill sets compared to OJ

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
And my point is Finn and Juolevi is a better comparison than Ekblad and Dineen :shrug:

No your point was that Juolevi is comparable to Finn, do you want me to quote your original post?

Are you going to make a fool of yourself by continuing to back that absurd comparison?

Or are you going to keep continuing your cherry picking posts and diverting the attention from your main point.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
for ppl not calling horvat 1c

willie is reaponsible for at least10 less points when him and baertschi "took him away from his game"

also ryjo is coming anyway. he follows the canucks i feel right

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
No your point was that Juolevi is comparable to Finn, do you want me to quote your original post?

No diversion needed, go ahead..?

It's absurd only because Finn busted.

There is slim chance OJ is a top producing D in the NHL (50 pts+)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think so. I think most GMs were essentially saying there were no Ekblad's in this draft but a few guys who could be first pairing dmen.

Even Ekblad wasn't seen as clear, sure #1D at the time?
Juolevi is one of the younger players from this draft, he has one of the highest IQ's from this draft and his puck moving is elite, it's way too early to say what his true ceiling is, we can only guess at this point.
I rather bet on a player with elite IQ than I bet on player with elite size.

edit,
They also pointed out at the time he got picked that he has started to gain weight/muscle on the 2nd half, 9lbs just on the 2nd half and I heard it like he is closer to 6'3 these days than 6'2?
That's pretty promising for Olli.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Ekblad was a clear number 1 D... even at 18 the chances of him becoming a top pair defenseman were like 95%..

Juolevi is prob 50% or less...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad