Prospect Info: LD Olli Juolevi - London Knights - 5th Overall 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Per Thomas Drance's Twitter:

"Linden says Juolevi wasn't on loan to London as Honka was. Will be subject to NHL-CHL transfer agreement."

So AHL isn't an option.

Blah
Hey maybe he makes the big club! I means it's not that hard to beat Sbisa and Biega on the depth chart

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Also, barring any ridiculous UFA contracts we should be in line to hopefully have another shot at a #1 center next season.

This.

2019 is our year!

Couture - Patrick - Boeser
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Gaunce - Granlund - Etem

Juolevi - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Edler - Tryamkin

Markstrom/Demko

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Blah
Hey maybe he makes the big club! I means it's not that hard to beat Sbisa and Biega on the depth chart

Not sure it matters that much either way. Juolevi is definitely best served spending 2016-17 in junior and having two summers (this and next) to pack some weight and strength onto his lanky frame.

Then in 2017-18 he is either too skinny/weak for pro (AHL or NHL) and returns to London as a 19 year old or he simply makes the Canucks. His game is not going to be served by playing in the minors and being too weak/skinny is just as bad down there as it is up here.

Either way I don't think he'll play a game in the A except maybe for playoffs next year if the Knights go out early.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Not sure it matters that much either way. Juolevi is definitely best served spending 2016-17 in junior and having two summers (this and next) to pack some weight and strength onto his lanky frame.

Then in 2017-18 he is either too skinny/weak for pro (AHL or NHL) and returns to London as a 19 year old or he simply makes the Canucks. His game is not going to be served by playing in the minors and being too weak/skinny is just as bad down there as it is up here.

Either way I don't think he'll play a game in the A except maybe for playoffs next year if the Knights go out early.
Lol man.
Talking about being way too serious

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I just found it weird that how come so many fans already wrote him off as a potential 1C while he's been trending very well on a terrible team
I don't think anyone's trying to write him off.
I think everyone's just trying to be realistic, rather than applying the best case scenario to him

Obviously subjective...but I think a lot of people feel he's the kind of guy that can put up adequate numbers; but will be a big producer when the games matter most.

In playoff action, he's the kind of guy that will elevate his game (play like more of a number 1) while a lot of traditional regular season point producers will see their play drop (playing more like number 2's).

I don't disagree with you that he could become a 1C (his biggest weakness when he was drafted was his foot speed, and he's improved that a lot); I just think it's less realistic than it is he becomes a really good #2.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
It doesn't really matter how good Horvat gets, you need another great center too. Even if he were to get as good as Henrik you'd still want a Kesler comparable guy to pair him with to contend. The Pens have Crosby and Malkin FFS :laugh:

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Even if we have Horvat hit 60 points next year we will still need a 1C.

For now

Sedin
Horvat
Sutter
Granlund

Post Sedin

Horvat
______
Sutter
Granlund

OR

_____
Horvat
Sutter
Granlund

Either way we need a 2C if Horvat is a 1C and the best way to get a 2C is to draft a 1C and drop Bo to 2C.

We need a 1C

huntison

Aug 12, 2008

For now

Sedin
Horvat
Sutter
Granlund

Post Sedin

Horvat
______
Sutter
Granlund

OR

_____
Horvat
Sutter
Granlund

Either way we need a 2C if Horvat is a 1C and the best way to get a 2C is to draft a 1C and drop Bo to 2C.

We need a 1C

Agreed. You have to wonder if McCann could have been that guy. Time will tell.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Is that official?

I think it's too early to say. He's not ready right now at 180lbs. I suppose if he could add another 10lbs over the offseason he could play pro at 190. Probably better to give him another year of junior and a couple of offseasons to fill out.

Juolevi isn't likely to be a 50 point NHL guy but I think his ceiling is being judged unfairly compared to Tkachuk. Is Tkachuk likely to be Corey Perry? Are we ready to give a guy available at 5oa a likely top 5 winger in the world projection?

Tkachuk's ceiling is being compared to Juolevi's likely projection imo.

Apparently not.

Yeah, another year in London is for the best, methinks. If you put on 10lbs in two and half months it wont be the right kind of weight, but 15+lbs of almost all muscle over a 14 month period is very doable. And even then the tendons and bone tissue will have some catching up to do. Always fascinating to read how some recent, and in seemingly impossible short time :sarcasm:, bulked up athlete suffered a broken bone or pulled a tendon not long after. New muscle mass needs proper structural support.

Takahashi should introduce him to the military press and weighted dips (upper body squat, if his elbows can stand it) with plenty of back work to remedy that pencil neck/narrow shoulders look. Anyway, don't think Olli will get much over 200, or needs to, since mobility and brains will be his bread and butter.

Knights won't be as good so he'll get more experience in the other end and can work on things without us worrying he's one Tanev boards staple job closer to injury. Lidstrom didn't come over until 21(?) and was pretty thin early on.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

For now

Sedin
Horvat
Sutter
Granlund

Post Sedin

Horvat
______
Sutter
Granlund

OR

_____
Horvat
Sutter
Granlund

We need a 1C

60 point C that is sound defensively is a #1 C.

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014
This.

2019 is our year!

Couture - Patrick - Boeser
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Gaunce - Granlund - Etem

Juolevi - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Edler - Tryamkin

Markstrom/Demko

What is this rubbish Johansen, Rielly, and Price should all be here by then :sarcasm:

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
Juolevi - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Edler - Tryamkin

Prefer putting Juolevi next to Gudbranson with edler next to tanev. Gudbranson can take care of home while letting Juolevi take more chances offensively. Edler and Tanev are both a mix of defence and offence so they can score some and still shutdown top lines.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Super disappointed we did not end up with PLD.But the more i think about it,in 2 to 3 years OJ will be our #1 because this kid is the real deal.It would not surprise me if he makes our team out of camp,but it would not hurt him to go back to London either. It is what it is guys.This is probably the best thing for our defense because it will knock Sbisa down another notch and hopefully out of our line up.

No pro scout has him pegged as a top pairing guy. So if he's our default "# 1" we are in big trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad