LD Matt Finn (2012, 35th, TOR; traded to NYI)

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Wow, crazy.

Can't really judge the rest of the thread though, every fanbase has these haha.

He was an impressive prospect at the time, he just made absolutely zero progress since his post draft season. His game style was close to Suters, if he had developed perfectly he could have been a second pairing version of him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He was injured in the beggining of his rookie pro season. I'm willing to give the young lad some more time.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In 2012 I wanted Finn and while not majorly upset I wish we picked him instead of Pokka at the time. Looks like I finally got my wish 3 years later. lol

Sort of funny the Islanders don't own Pokka anymore but have the guys drafted both before(Collberg) and after(Finn) him

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Wow, crazy.

ceil·ing
ˈsēliNG/Submit
noun
noun: ceiling; plural noun: ceilings
the upper interior surface of a room or other similar compartment.
synonyms: upper limit, maximum, limitation
"a ceiling was to be set on prices"
an upper limit, typically one set on prices, wages, or expenditure.

He's what, 21? That's obviously a very high ceiling, and was wishful thinking to say the least now and at the time. But Finn has played 1 year of pro, an awful one at that, but he can still turn it around. Hoping for the best for Finner.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
ceil·ing
ˈsēliNG/Submit
noun
noun: ceiling; plural noun: ceilings
the upper interior surface of a room or other similar compartment.
an upper limit, typically one set on prices, wages, or expenditure.

He's what, 21? That's obviously a very high ceiling, and was wishful thinking to say the least now and at the time. But Finn has played 1 year of pro, an awful one at that, but he can still turn it around. Hoping for the best for Finner.
He was around 13th on Toronto's depth chart. Spent 2 years with Underhill and was still a below average skater. New management just didn't think he was a fit for a team that needs quality dmen

member 147413

Wow, crazy.

Hahahah, that was me. Things have since changed, but I still stand by the statement given where he was at the time it was made.

Obviously he has developed terribly, but his game is very similar to Suter's, he's just seen no improvement.

Still believe he's got NHL potential. Bottom 4 if his skating improves.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
18 months ago he was a contender for best dman in the OHL. His transition to the AHL was quite bad, but the baseline talent does seem to be there. Similar to Verhaeghe, skating seems to be an issue that might hold him back. If he's developed slowly, he might have a decent chance at improving his skating and/or improving his positional play to the point where weaker skating isnt a huge detriment.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
He was around 13th on Toronto's depth chart. Spent 2 years with Underhill and was still a below average skater. New management just didn't think he was a fit for a team that needs quality dmen

More than two years with Underhill. She still does (or at least did while Finner was here) some work with the Guelph Storm in addition to her time in Toronto.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
It's almost shocking that a player with a decent upside 18 months ago has been given up on after one pro season.

If his skating is so poor, how was he even considered first round potential 3 years ago?

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
It's almost shocking that a player with a decent upside 18 months ago has been given up on after one pro season.

If his skating is so poor, how was he even considered first round potential 3 years ago?

There was hope he could improve that side of his game. He had 2 years with some of the best instructors in the world and did not get better at all.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

In his first pro season he also spent time between the Toronto of the AHL and Orlando of the ECHL, so his game was not developing that well for him to be demoted like that.

Also during the Leafs recent rookie tournament games Finn didn't look that great.

DollardStLaurent

May 15, 2014
Guys, give the kid a break. How many times do you hear that it takes dmen longer to develop. Finn is only 21 years old. Last year he played only 28 games with the Marlies and 8 games with the Solar Bears. The year before, he had 61 points with Guelph in 66 games and was a +57.
He may or may not improve. Only time will tell.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I used to like Finn, then I saw him play last year...

The guy can't skate and his decision making lags a good 2 seconds behind the play. I'm sorry, but he's just bad. Islanders fans are better off hoping for something to come out of Nilsson or CV.

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
Sounds crazy, but ISS had him ranked 16th in NA on their final rankings. And this was a year with a pretty weak euro contingent. Needless to say, Finn hasn't improved all that much since 2012(Especially his mobility).

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Any update on this guy? At one point he was favoured over Reilly by some fans. Is he done, where is he playing? Do the islanders think he'll make the team anytime soon?

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
He is the kind of forgotten prospect I could see becoming a regular thanks to expansion. It seems like he's been playing forever but he only just turned 22 and had by far his best year as a pro even though it involved time down in the East Coast league.

2016-17 and a full season in the AHL where he puts up 0.5 PPG and suddenly he is not a bad invite for any number of jobs in a #6/7 role. Decent size, does most things okay but not elite.

As a comparison look to Brandon Davidson who was a bright spot this year in Edmonton. At the same age in 2013 he had 5 points in 26 AHL games. Finn had 14 in 33.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Only caught him a couple of times in Bridgeport last season and he didn't stand out - which I guess isn't necessarily a bad thing. He spent some time in the ECHL last year but overall his AHL numbers didn't seem too bad.

Could hopefully become a bottom-pairing or depth guy at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad