LD Matt Finn (2012, 35th, TOR; traded to NYI)

RogerRoeper*

How is it "setting them up" nicely for years... How do you know Finn was a "great" pick? Guys from 2007 and 2008 (4 and 5 years ago) like Brendan Smith, TJ Brennan, Scandella and Gaunce haven't even cracked NHL teams full time and are/were easily on par with Finn as prospects and fairly similar in style.

If/when Finn turns into a real NHL player its likely not going to be until 2017 and he will still be going through development/sheltering. There is so many things that can happen between now and then I don't know how you can say that.

As prospects, he has set them up very nicely.

If any other GM selects Rielly/Finn as his first two picks would you dispute my statement? The fact is, those are very impressive picks.

Try to find an analyst who disputes what I just said. You can't. The Leafs, defensively speaking, had a fantastic draft.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
How is it "setting them up" nicely for years... How do you know Finn was a "great" pick? Guys from 2007 and 2008 (4 and 5 years ago) like Brendan Smith, TJ Brennan, Scandella and Gaunce haven't even cracked NHL teams full time and are/were easily on par with Finn as prospects and fairly similar in style.

If/when Finn turns into a real NHL player its likely not going to be until 2017 and he will still be going through development/sheltering. There is so many things that can happen between now and then I don't know how you can say that.

If Smith was on virtually any team other than Detroit he would have been in the NHL long ago. They are notorious for keeping players in the minors for extended stays, especially d-men. They did the exact same thing with Kronwall and he has turned out ok :sarcasm:

RogerRoeper*

What a dradt Burke had. Rielly and Finn. He has set up the Leafs on D for years to come.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
near PPG production in his draft year, for a defenseman prospect whose strengths are supposed to be defense and leadership and intangibles.

not bad.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
near PPG production in his draft year, for a defenseman prospect whose strengths are supposed to be defense and leadership and intangibles.

not bad.

.77 isn't really near PPG production, thus why the exaggeration on alot of posts I guess.

A solid 2nd pairing type of potential, not on any top 50 prospects to start the season, not sure he has moved up enough really as the 13 guys will be on next seasons list as well.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Right now it looks like Finn will have a shot at next years WJC team, that would be a great experience for him. I haven't gotten much of a chance to watch him play either, so it would be nice for us Leafs fans to get a good look at him. From what I've read, he plays a Gunnarson-esque game but with a better shot, and could be a valuable second pairing D-man down the line.

OptimusReimer34

Jun 19, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Right now it looks like Finn will have a shot at next years WJC team, that would be a great experience for him. I haven't gotten much of a chance to watch him play either, so it would be nice for us Leafs fans to get a good look at him. From what I've read, he plays a Gunnarson-esque game but with a better shot, and could be a valuable second pairing D-man down the line.

Do you know of what competition he would be facing in making the team? What other defenders do you see vying for a spot on the world junior team.

Also does anyone know if he has mono again? I read it somewhere but can't seem to confirm it.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Do you know of what competition he would be facing in making the team? What other defenders do you see vying for a spot on the world junior team.

Also does anyone know if he has mono again? I read it somewhere but can't seem to confirm it.

pretty sure he tweeted he was going through it for the 2nd time

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Seen him twice this year.

He looks like he's out grown the OHL, which is expected considering his age and draft status. Looked very good in his own end.

Didn't have great offensive nights either time I went, so surprised to see he's a PPG d-man right now.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Hah, was thinking the same thing when I watched him.

Very economic player, never really seen him skate much with the puck, loves to move it quickly. Makes some nice pinches and rushes from the blueline in, but I never see him make a high risk play.

I'm pretty surprised by his point production so far, because when I watched him Leslie looked like the better offensive defender. He just plays a really clean game.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Totally. Congrats to him.

I've not actually seen him play. Those who have, what can you tell me?

Solid as a rock. Completely unfazed by anything in his own end, makes solid breakout plays as well either by skating or passing. He plays a very safe style so I wouldn't expect the production to continue at any other level (Guelph is an offensive powerhouse and Finn plays powerplay), but he should be a valuable minute-munching defenseman

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Totally. Congrats to him.

I've not actually seen him play. Those who have, what can you tell me?

When you see him play you don't see much offence in his game, like he's not often going to start the rush, isn't going to try to make pretty plays with his hands, and doesn't seem to ever make a pretty pass where you stop and think "man that was a beauty of a pass". But he's not a liability in the offensive zone. He can keep the puck alive, he's smart with the puck, his shot is decent, knows when to shoot at the traffic and knows when to pass it down the boards or to the other blue-liner.

His defensive game is sort of the same idea. He's always in a good position, he's smart with his stick, and doesn't turn over the puck. His skating is good enough to have an NHL job one day. He's a safe guy in his own zone. He's not soft either. With all that said, he's not an intimidating guy on the ice, he isn't massive, he's isn't incredibly strong, I wouldn't say he's one of the top shut-down D in the CHL for sure.

Overall, he's pretty much a swiss army knife defensemen, does a little bit of everything, but not anything surprisingly well.

Imo he'll rather be a very good all around 2nd/3rd pairing NHL D if his game can translate, or he'll be more of a jack of all trades but master of none, and not be able to find an NHL job for himself.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Surprised the leafs gave up on him. He's still young and has a lot of upside if he puts it together.

He's been terrible. And the chances of him putting it together look like they are right next to none. Hopefully he can stick in the A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad