LD Matt Finn (2012, 35th, TOR; traded to NYI)

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I'm by no means a junior expert, as I rarely catch a game.

But the Guelph storm game I went to earlier this season left me very impressed with the kid. He also looked a lot taller than the 6'00 hockeydb says he is.

Where do you think he'll go drafted?

19GP 5G 13A 18P 22PIM 1+/-

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Great all-around defenseman. Late first, early second round. Matt "The Dorsal" Finn's stock is on the rise.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
He may be slightly over 6 feet, but it's not by much.

I agree with the late first, early second projection from him. I have seen a few of his games and he is a true two-way defenceman.

arsmaster*

Thought this could use a bump, as I just watched my first Guelph game of the year on Sportsnet.

Jason York, couldnt quit raving about him, both on the broadcast were talking about his as an 11th rated prospect for the draft (I never knew Craig Button's list held so much weight LOL).

He was very impressive with all that said.

Really reminded me of Leafs 2011 1st rounder - Stuart Percy. Steady at both ends.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The Dorsal Finn is a very complete defenseman. Will continue to climb as the season goes on.

Love the nickname. I'm going to steal it. :sarcasm:

I've had Finn high all season long and will continue to have him high. He's still number two (in terms of OHL defenseman) behind Ceci IMO...because Ceci has a size advantage over him while providing similar services. I think Ceci is a little better offensively, while Finn is a little better defensively.

At this point I take both over Maatta (whom I do like), Koekkoek, Ebert, etc.

arsmaster*

I've had Finn high all season long and will continue to have him high. He's still number two (in terms of OHL defenseman) behind Ceci IMO...because Ceci has a size advantage over him while providing similar services. I think Ceci is a little better offensively, while Finn is a little better defensively.

Would you use Stuart Percy as a comparable Brock?

Always enjoy your opinions.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Would you use Stuart Percy as a comparable Brock?

Always enjoy your opinions.

I think he's a better pro prospect than Percy. His defensive game is comparable, as is the size. But he's a much better offensive player at this point, and has more upside. Skates the puck out of the zone more effectively. Runs the powerplay more effectively. Has a better shot from the point. He's a legitimate two way talent. Where as Percy was more of a mobile defensive guy with developing offensive potential (IMO).

I'm not a huge comparison guy...but if I must, I'd liken to him a guy like Ryan Suter.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

No probsies. Just give Garyboy credit in brackets when used. Yeah, the Dorsal Finn is the goods. Have been watching him since he won the All-Ontario's with the Marlies.

Quick question for you, if you don't mind. What the heck happened to Jessie Graham? Had a wonderful rookie season, and I thought he was the best of the '94 defensemen coming out of the GTHL. Haven't heard anything about him, but haven't really been following the Ice Dogs. Your insight is appreciated, thank you.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Insane development from Finn this year. He's producing more offensively this year than he had two years ago in Minor Midget. Never would have thought he'd have much NHL potential.

Also interested about Jesse Graham. Great skater, but it sounds like he's definitely fallen off, draft-talk wise.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
No probsies. Just give Garyboy credit in brackets when used. Yeah, the Dorsal Finn is the goods. Have been watching him since he won the All-Ontario's with the Marlies.

Quick question for you, if you don't mind. What the heck happened to Jessie Graham? Had a wonderful rookie season, and I thought he was the best of the '94 defensemen coming out of the GTHL. Haven't heard anything about him, but haven't really been following the Ice Dogs. Your insight is appreciated, thank you.

I still like Graham. He was IMO, the most impressive '94 I saw in the OHL last year. Playing on a good team's top pairing is impressive and the things he was doing as a 16 year old were fantastic.

He got off to a slow start this year (much like the rest if the IceDogs). But he's really picked it up offensively in the past month or so. He has 12 points (all assists) in his last 15 games.

As much as I loved him last year, I truthfully never really anticipated he'd generate a TON of NHL draft interest. He's a little undersized...and he's definitely lean.

This next month will be a great time for him to shine. A lot of people kind of throw him under the shadow of Dougie Hamilton (his defense partner in Niagara). But with Dougie away at the WJC's, Graham will be partnered with Luke Mercer (his old midget partner). At this point, everyone knows what Graham can do in terms of rushing the puck and creating offense with his speed. But this next month will test a few things. Just how far has his defensive game come (considering Dougie does a lot of the big muscle work when they're paired together). And can he gain some confidence running the point on the powerplay and taking more shots? He'll pretty much be the number one defenseman on one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference for the next three weeks. Should be a great test.

I saw the Dogs play Erie this week and Graham was excellent. But...it was Erie.:sarcasm:

Hopefully he continues to play well and generates a bit more buzz. No reason he can't be a solid mid round guy at this point.

Fearless Leaf*

Bump.

He has really elevated his game even more further recently to another level on consistent basis, carrying the entire Guelph defense on his back. I also have him ranked as the 5th best d-man coming into this draft only behind Murray, Trouba, Dumba, and O'Reilly.

I think he will likely end up as a solid #3 or low-end #2 down the road. Would not surprise me one bit if he ends up going around 10th selection in the draft just like Brodin in last years draft.

What do u guys think? where do u guys see him going in the draft?

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Finn is friggin awesome. Im from Guelph, and everytime ive seen them play he not only is he the best defenceman on the ice, he controls the PP, shrugs checks off like nothing, and is slippery as hell.

Great start / stopping ability and lateral movement.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Severely underrated imo.
highest ive seen him is midteens, but i wouldnt be surprised if he sneaks in an 8-10 slot

Finn is friggin awesome. Im from Guelph, and everytime ive seen them play he not only is he the best defenceman on the ice, he controls the PP, shrugs checks off like nothing, and is slippery as hell.

Great start / stopping ability and lateral movement.

Does he play with Pedan?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If he isn't picked by the Sharks I will have no faith left in humanity...at least if he's available when they pick.

Cause. Shark...Finn.

Sharks have Fins? Or Finns...what have you.

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
I'd be stoked if the Sens drafted this kid.

Finn would definitely fit their needs perfectly. Plus, I've read that he's known for his incredible work ethic and professionalism. Still, Ceci falling to the Senators would be a bigger story around these parts!

I only saw Finn play twice, but I couldn't believe his hockey sense. So composed on the puck - really left you with the impression that he was in charge! I'm curious to see where he gets drafted in relationship to Pouliot. I don't know enough about the latter, so interested to see who goes first around that #13 to #17 range.

I think Finn is more likely to be a steal for one of those teams, as opposed to sneaking into the Top 10. Too many other defenceman bring more raw skill/size to the table.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Happy with the leafs taking him at 35. Big steal IMO. Had him ranked in my top 15. Some had him as high as 9. It's scary what the leafs D core will look like soon.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Habs fan here but I got to credit Burke for taking the BPA here instead of trying to make a splash. Finn is a great pick at 35, he might not have much flash but he's a great complimentary pick and first round talent.

When I saw he fell to the second round he was one of the guys I wanted the Habs to draft...behind Collberg though. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad