LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
He must have tanked his interviews right? I thought there was no chance he was going to slip out of the 30s.

Wanted him for the Canucks, kid has legit top pairing potential.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I think it's more likely the "he smoll effect"

Stupid, very stupid if that’s the case. The league has been trending towards skill > size for nearly a decade now. Defensemen don’t have to be lumbering giants who weigh 225+ these days - as long as they’re positional sound and active with their stick in their own end I’d much rather have that over anything.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He must have tanked his interviews right? I thought there was no chance he was going to slip out of the 30s.

Wanted him for the Canucks, kid has legit top pairing potential.

He's small, and he plays a bit of a reckless style. He takes a TON of risks. His playing style is a big reason Chelsey's stock took a hit as he spent a lot of time covering for Hutson.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He's as good a pick as anyone at that spot I suppose, but he's a longshot to make it I'd say. He is really undersized.

Here's hoping!!
From what I saw this year - he is the most talented player in the entire draft. His ceiling is as high as anyone I watched this year.

Undersized he may be, lacking of talent he is not.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I’m jealous of you Habs fans. You have made some excellent selections.
He's as good a pick as anyone at that spot I suppose, but he's a longshot to make it I'd say. He is really undersized.

Here's hoping!!
From what I saw this year - he is the most talented player in the entire draft. His ceiling is as high as anyone I watched this year.

I watched him, yep, really talented, if he was even 6 feet or a little bit under he would likely have gone top 5.

He went 62nd however, and we know why, and it's a valid reason, size still matters,he will have to overcome that as a d-man and not everyone does. And as has already been mentioned, an awful lot of high risk rover in his style.

I'm under no illusions about him but I'm hoping for the best, he could potentially turn into a player for us.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Sounds a bit like the Caufield pick from what I read. Extremely talented player falls because he's too small. Hutson being a D he fell even more.

Hopefully he grows a bit, it never hurts! I've personally grown probably 1-2 inches between 19 and 21 so it's definitely possible - although not super common.

I mean, Francis Bouillon carved a career as an undersized defensive defenseman 15 years ago when size was all the rage... Hutson being uber-talented offensively seems to bode well.

Jul 6, 2016
Sounds a bit like the Caufield pick from what I read. Extremely talented player falls because he's too small. Hutson being a D he fell even more.

Hopefully he grows a bit, it never hurts! I've personally grown probably 1-2 inches between 19 and 21 so it's definitely possible - although not super common.

I mean, Francis Bouillon carved a career as an undersized defensive defenseman 15 years ago when size was all the rage... Hutson being uber-talented offensively seems to bode well.
Bouillon was not called "Cube" for nothing (besides the play on words). He was thick, heavy, strong on his legs. If Hutson can reach 5'10 and 175 pounds some day, he's gonna be closer to a Sam GIrard type of D. With possibly a bit more offensive talent.

Reactions: abo9

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
Stupid, very stupid if that’s the case. The league has been trending towards skill > size for nearly a decade now. Defensemen don’t have to be lumbering giants who weigh 225+ these days - as long as they’re positional sound and active with their stick in their own end I’d much rather have that over anything.
Can you list off all the defensemen in the league that are 5'8" or under?

Reactions: ChickenDinner

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2