LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It’s his size, and that some question his skating. Don’t really see the skating questions. I agree with you though. Don’t know how this guy is not a round one pick.
To put it into context, Quinn Hughes was 5'10 170lb (I firmly believe both were a stretch) for his draft year. Hutson is 5'8 150lbs and that is clearly correct lol....

I think the league is smartening up here knowing these kids eventually will bulk up some...the height doesn't overly worry me but my lord this kid looks like a WW2 POW...He has the skill to be a first round pick, I imagine scouts/GMs will look into his siblings if older, parents and see what the potential growth will be.

I love this kid, he is exciting as hell to watch, but he is absolutely tiny right now....

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Haven't seen much of the US crop—how would you rank the NTDP kids this year?

Forwards:

I'd have McGroarty and Cooley 1 and 2. I see it as pretty close and I'm probably way higher on McGroarty than most and slightly lower than Cooley. I'd opt for McGroarty first because I think he's a potential 100 point player, if he hits his ceiling. After them, next two would be Nazar and Gauthier. They are completely different types of players. Nazar is really skilled, but small forward, not sure he's a center, skating is not bad but how good is it for 5'10, two-way game also isn't bad but how good is it for 5'10. Tough player to get a read on, but the upside is high. Gauthier is a really safe bet to be a 2C. He's like a Christian Dvorak. For me this comes down to do you buy into Nazar hitting his ceiling. I probably lean against it, so I'd have Gauthier ahead, but it's really close.

Then I think Howard is next in his own tier. He's like a late first. He'll score goals, but what else? Probably not much. After them, I'd have a tier of Snuggerud and Kaplan somewhere in the early/mid second. Snuggerud has been used as a sniping winger this year and he does have a good shot and some underrated offensive upside, but I think he ends up as like a defensive minded 3C. Potentially he ends up a 2C, if the offensive game really pops at higher levels. Kaplan has scoring ability as a talented 1v1 winger, but consistency, hockey sense, compete level questions. Cole Spicer is next as maybe a late 2/early 3. Swiss army knife. Can play anywhere in the lineup and do some of everything. Brady Berard is probably a round 4 guy. Has size, compete-level, and physicality. Also a little offense. Different type of player than Brett. He'll be a fourth liner, if he makes it. Hejduk maybe a round 6 or 7 guy. Won't be any more than a fourth liner, and I'm not convinced he makes it as that.

Tier 1:

McGroarty
Cooley

Tier 2:

Gauthier
Nazar

Tier 3:

Howard

Tier 4:

Snuggerud
Kaplan

Tier 5:

Spicer

Berard

Hejduk

Defensemen:

I have Chesley first in his own tier. I have him top 5, which be a minority opinion, but thats my opinion. I think he projects really well to the pro game. He hasn't had the greatest scoring year, but he's not been a regular PP guy for a lot of the year, he's asked to play a more defensive role due to the composition of the defense, and also a season of bad puck luck. After that, probably Hutson over Casey, but they are in the same tier. I feel like Casey is the toughest player on this team to get a good read on. There's some things to really like between his skating, underrated defensive ability, and that he's an offensive defenseman, but I question if he's tangibly as good as we think he should be. Hutson's like the opposite. He's really good, but people are going to question his size, and some question his skating. You are going to have to have a babysitter for him due to his offensive aggressiveness, although when he's not forcing the issue offensively I think he defends well for his size. Both of these guys for me are late first round picks.

Next guy for me is probably Leddy. He's going to play NHL games because he has size, can defend, skate, and move the puck well enough. It's possible there's some untapped offensive upside, but probably not. He'll be picked earlier than people think. Potentially late second, but at least third round. After him, I like Tyler Duke, but I worry how he projects. Only like 5'10 and not much offense. Skates very well, physical, defensive defenseman type, but how many players are there with that playing style? Probably round 3, but potentially round 4. Then you have Seamus Powell in round 4. He's a boring player. Doesn't really do much thats noticeable in any regard, but also not bad at anything. Could make it as like a low-event 6 or 7 defenseman. Muir is last. I think he's gotten a little bit of a raw deal as the only U18 to be demoted to the U17's. He's a draftable player, in my opinion. I like him more than Hejduk and potentially Muszelik. He's similar to Leddy, but not as good. Probably like round 6 for me.

Tier 1:

Chesley

Tier 2:

Hutson
Casey

Tier 3:

Leddy

Powell

Muir

Goalies:

Silverstein is really tough to place. I'm a fan, but he's now had two season ending injuries in back to back years. He completely lost his form after mid-season this year, which may have been due to the injury. He's also small. He's probably only 6'0. Possible he measures at 6'1, but thats still considered small. Could he make it in the NHL? Yes because he's talented. He's very quick, he battles well, technically he's pretty good, and reads plays well. My main concern with his game coming into this year, aside from size, was some small concentration issues, which looked better. So it became just a player lacking size. But he was awful after midseason, so what do you do with that? Was it only the injury? I'd probably say he's a late third rounder, but I think he may get picked later. Potentially like round 5 or 6. Muszelik, he's just the regular backup goalie. He's improved this year. I think he'll get drafted, but later rounds.

Tier 1:

Silverstein

Muszelik

Combined

Tier 1:

Chesley
McGroarty
Cooley

Tier 2:

Gauthier
Nazar

Tier 3:

Howard
Hutson
Casey

Tier 4:

Snuggerud
Kaplan
Leddy
Spicer
Silverstein

Tier 5:

Powell
Berard
Muir
Muszelik
Hejduk

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
It’s his size, and that some question his skating. Don’t really see the skating questions. I agree with you though. Don’t know how this guy is not a round one pick.
Right, but if Quinn Hughes can play his game with no issues, I think Hutson can too. I don't see skating concerns at all; I see his skating as a plus. He's too smart and too skilled to not make an impact. Any team trying to emulate the Colorado Avalanche should be all over this guy.

Body type, he's probably closest to Johnny Gaudreau though, I do agree.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Forwards:

I'd have McGroarty and Cooley 1 and 2. I see it as pretty close and I'm probably way higher on McGroarty than most and slightly lower than Cooley. I'd opt for McGroarty first because I think he's a potential 100 point player, if he hits his ceiling. After them, next two would be Nazar and Gauthier. They are completely different types of players. Nazar is really skilled, but small forward, not sure he's a center, skating is not bad but how good is it for 5'10, two-way game also isn't bad but how good is it for 5'10. Tough player to get a read on, but the upside is high. Gauthier is a really safe bet to be a 2C. He's like a Christian Dvorak. For me this comes down to do you buy into Nazar hitting his ceiling. I probably lean against it, so I'd have Gauthier ahead, but it's really close.

Then I think Howard is next in his own tier. He's like a late first. He'll score goals, but what else? Probably not much. After them, I'd have a tier of Snuggerud and Kaplan somewhere in the early/mid second. Snuggerud has been used as a sniping winger this year and he does have a good shot and some underrated offensive upside, but I think he ends up as like a defensive minded 3C. Potentially he ends up a 2C, if the offensive game really pops at higher levels. Kaplan has scoring ability as a talented 1v1 winger, but consistency, hockey sense, compete level questions. Cole Spicer is next as maybe a late 2/early 3. Swiss army knife. Can play anywhere in the lineup and do some of everything. Brady Berard is probably a round 4 guy. Has size, compete-level, and physicality. Also a little offense. Different type of player than Brett. He'll be a fourth liner, if he makes it. Hejduk maybe a round 6 or 7 guy. Won't be any more than a fourth liner, and I'm not convinced he makes it as that.

Tier 1:

McGroarty
Cooley

Tier 2:

Gauthier
Nazar

Tier 3:

Howard

Tier 4:

Snuggerud
Kaplan

Tier 5:

Spicer

Berard

Hejduk

Defensemen:

I have Chesley first in his own tier. I have him top 5, which be a minority opinion, but thats my opinion. I think he projects really well to the pro game. He hasn't had the greatest scoring year, but he's not been a regular PP guy for a lot of the year, he's asked to play a more defensive role due to the composition of the defense, and also a season of bad puck luck. After that, probably Hutson over Casey, but they are in the same tier. I feel like Casey is the toughest player on this team to get a good read on. There's some things to really like between his skating, underrated defensive ability, and that he's an offensive defenseman, but I question if he's tangibly as good as we think he should be. Hutson's like the opposite. He's really good, but people are going to question his size, and some question his skating. You are going to have to have a babysitter for him due to his offensive aggressiveness, although when he's not forcing the issue offensively I think he defends well for his size. Both of these guys for me are late first round picks.

Next guy for me is probably Leddy. He's going to play NHL games because he has size, can defend, skate, and move the puck well enough. It's possible there's some untapped offensive upside, but probably not. He'll be picked earlier than people think. Potentially late second, but at least third round. After him, I like Tyler Duke, but I worry how he projects. Only like 5'10 and not much offense. Skates very well, physical, defensive defenseman type, but how many players are there with that playing style? Probably round 3, but potentially round 4. Then you have Seamus Powell in round 4. He's a boring player. Doesn't really do much thats noticeable in any regard, but also not bad at anything. Could make it as like a low-event 6 or 7 defenseman. Muir is last. I think he's gotten a little bit of a raw deal as the only U18 to be demoted to the U17's. He's a draftable player, in my opinion. I like him more than Hejduk and potentially Muszelik. He's similar to Leddy, but not as good. Probably like round 6 for me.

Tier 1:

Chesley

Tier 2:

Hutson
Casey

Tier 3:

Leddy

Powell

Muir

Goalies:

Silverstein is really tough to place. I'm a fan, but he's now had two season ending injuries in back to back years. He completely lost his form after mid-season this year, which may have been due to the injury. He's also small. He's probably only 6'0. Possible he measures at 6'1, but thats still considered small. Could he make it in the NHL? Yes because he's talented. He's very quick, he battles well, technically he's pretty good, and reads plays well. My main concern with his game coming into this year, aside from size, was some small concentration issues, which looked better. So it became just a player lacking size. But he was awful after midseason, so what do you do with that? Was it only the injury? I'd probably say he's a late third rounder, but I think he may get picked later. Potentially like round 5 or 6. Muszelik, he's just the regular backup goalie. He's improved this year. I think he'll get drafted, but later rounds.

Tier 1:

Silverstein

Muszelik

Combined

Tier 1:

Chesley
McGroarty
Cooley

Tier 2:

Gauthier
Nazar

Tier 3:

Howard
Hutson
Casey

Tier 4:

Snuggerud
Kaplan
Leddy
Spicer
Silverstein

Tier 5:

Powell
Berard
Muir
Muszelik
Hejduk
This is an excellent breakdown, thank you.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Very impressive in the games I've seen. 5'8" or not, if teams pass on him in the first round they're going to regret it. Amazing skater, super skilled. Though I just saw a couple of games, was USA's best player in what I saw.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I think Hutson was by far the best American player on the ice in every game I saw at the U18s. A genuine play driver. Should go higher than he is ranked.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I think Hutson was by far the best American player on the ice in every game I saw at the U18s. A genuine play driver. Should go higher than he is ranked.
We all agree that he is the best American D.

But a defender of 173cm and 67kg in the NHL is something other than playing junior competitions with Team USA.

The draft is not a question of current level on the junior circuit. It's a question of projecting what an NHL player can bring.

That's why less talented players are selected before.

Yes Hutson is better Lamoureux but in an NHL context, it's different.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

But a defender of 173cm and 67kg in the NHL is something other than playing junior competitions with Team USA.
But such an amazing skater and play driver. And Spurgeon is a #1 defenseman of the same height in NHL, it's possible after a couple solid summers at the gym - it requires great skating and hockey IQ but Hutson should have them.

I'd say that the team that dares to pick him first in spite of his size will be very pleased with the result. Much rather spend a pick on a guy like him who could potentially become a 80, 90 point defenseman in NHL than a big and strong but boring and safe pick who is a third pairing D on a good day.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

The draft is not a question of current level on the junior circuit. It's a question of projecting what an NHL player can bring.

That's why less talented players are selected before.

Yes Hutson is better Lamoureux but in an NHL context, it's different.
I think Hutson looks relatively strong and explosive. Good at winning duels and physical battles for his size. I understand that scouts will see it as a concern, but I would consider Hutson in the top 10-15 for sure. If he was taller, he would be a first overall candidate, he looks that good.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Forwards:

Tier 1:

McGroarty
Cooley

Tier 2:

Gauthier
Nazar

Tier 3:

Howard

Tier 4:

Snuggerud
Kaplan

Tier 5:

Spicer

Berard

Hejduk

Defensemen:

Tier 1:

Chesley

Tier 2:

Hutson
Casey

Tier 3:

Leddy

Powell

Muir

Goalies:

Tier 1:

Silverstein

Muszelik

Combined

Tier 1:

Chesley
McGroarty
Cooley

Tier 2:

Gauthier
Nazar

Tier 3:

Howard
Hutson
Casey

Tier 4:

Snuggerud
Kaplan
Leddy
Spicer
Silverstein

Tier 5:

Powell
Berard
Muir
Muszelik
Hejduk
Great post. I am coming around to McGoarty, and share your hesitancy about buying into the smaller players on the squad making a dent in the NHL. I do like Gauthier quite a bit, and thought I liked him more than McGroarty, but i'm not so sure now. It really depends how much he, Snuggerud, and Kaplan mature, and how well they can take physical play. You never know, really, till a guy their own size or bigger lays into them. Nazar has a game like Garland's, maybe? Isaac I'm not sure about.
No Lucius?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He does that kind of thing with regularity. I imagine it's one of the things that's given the scouts pause.

Yeah especially when it was at the end of a shift.
They dominated possession for like 30-45 seconds before that pinch, then the Swedes simply would have skated the puck to center and dumped it in.
But he punches with zero support and the Swedes are like I guess I have a little bit in the tank.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
But such an amazing skater and play driver. And Spurgeon is a #1 defenseman of the same height in NHL, it's possible after a couple solid summers at the gym - it requires great skating and hockey IQ but Hutson should have them.

I'd say that the team that dares to pick him first in spite of his size will be very pleased with the result. Much rather spend a pick on a guy like him who could potentially become a 80, 90 point defenseman in NHL than a big and strong but boring and safe pick who is a third pairing D on a good day.
In the NHL, he will find himself facing players as mobile and as technical as him but more physical.

I think he has a future in the NHL but he won't be a #1 defenseman. It will have to be used in specific situations, paired with a specific defender.

Defender n°1 is a player that you use in all circumstances against the best opposing lines.

Not the kind of player I would be interested in in the 1st round.

Yes he can become a Spurgeon. But is Spurgeon a No. 1 defender? I do not think so. There are easily 32 defensemen better than him in the NHL.

The play-offs are often very complicated for this player.

With Hutson you have talent but the NHL is not just talent. It takes physical guys who will dislocate Hutson.
Post automatically merged:

I think Hutson looks relatively strong and explosive. Good at winning duels and physical battles for his size. I understand that scouts will see it as a concern, but I would consider Hutson in the top 10-15 for sure. If he was taller, he would be a first overall candidate, he looks that good.
Against masses of 100kg, he will suffer.

He struggled a lot during the final.

It already gives a clue because it was the match that most resembled the NHL context.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
In the NHL, he will find himself facing players as mobile and as technical as him but more physical.

I think he has a future in the NHL but he won't be a #1 defenseman. It will have to be used in specific situations, paired with a specific defender.

Defender n°1 is a player that you use in all circumstances against the best opposing lines.

Not the kind of player I would be interested in in the 1st round.

Yes he can become a Spurgeon. But is Spurgeon a No. 1 defender? I do not think so. There are easily 32 defensemen better than him in the NHL.

The play-offs are often very complicated for this player.

With Hutson you have talent but the NHL is not just talent. It takes physical guys who will dislocate Hutson.
Spurgeon is #1 on Minnesota Wild who is 5th in NHL standings.

Of course he won't be Spurgeon, they're different kinds of players, but for being able to play in NHL at Spurgeon's size you require hockey IQ and skating. Still, if we think in terms of ceiling, it's got to be sky high.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Spurgeon is #1 on Minnesota Wild who is 5th in NHL standings.

Of course he won't be Spurgeon, they're different kinds of players, but for being able to play in NHL at Spurgeon's size you require hockey IQ and skating. Still, if we think in terms of ceiling, it's got to be sky high.
Okay... On an NHL game, I give him 85. That's not a No. 1 defender in the NHL.

Yes he is a little better than Dumba but hey...

Between Slavin and Spurgeon, Slavin. I purposely tell you about Slavin because there is even better.

Some teams have multiple #1 defenders. With Dahlin and Power, Buffalo has 2 for example. Some 0.

It's a label.

Minnesota works with a homogeneous defensive top 4 without No. 1.

Ryan Suter was No. 1. The guy you put in to play against the opposition's best offensives.

As a Montreal fan, I can tell you that Petry is not a #1 defender.

No. 1 defenders, you only have 3 per draft. Prefer to bet on Nemec or Jiricek. Mintyukov, you have something much safer than Hutson.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well obviously Nemec or Jiricek - both potential top 5 picks - will go before Lane Hutson, who I'm saying teams will regret not picking if they don't pick him in the 1st round, meaning they're in quite different categories. As such, that's a pretty meaningless comparison. Rather, I'd look at him like Sebastian Aho and Alex Debrincat, who both fell into second round. Perhaps even Sam Girard.

And whether you consider Spurgeon a #1D isn't even important for the argument, which is that even at his size it should be possible to play at a very high level in NHL, assuming he has a couple of solid summers.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Well obviously Nemec or Jiricek - both potential top 5 picks - will go before Lane Hutson, who I'm saying teams will regret not picking if they don't pick him in the 1st round, meaning they're in quite different categories. As such, that's a pretty meaningless comparison. Rather, I'd look at him like Sebastian Aho and Alex Debrincat, who both fell into second round. Perhaps even Sam Girard.

And whether you consider Spurgeon a #1D isn't even important for the argument, which is that even at his size it should be possible to play at a very high level in NHL, assuming he has a couple of solid summers.
There are other alternatives to Hutson, more complete defenders who will be easier to manage.

Tonight's game probably buried the chances of seeing Hutson in the 1st round.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
There are other alternatives to Hutson, more complete defenders who will be easier to manage.

Tonight's game probably buried the chances of seeing Hutson in the 1st round.
Being clearly USA's best player in finals buried his chances?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Looks like a better prospect than Cam York who went 14th overall. I don't expect him to go in the first round though because of what the tape measure says.

Behrens went late 2nd last year. If Hutson goes in the top 45, that will be a win for him.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think his weakness physically does cap his upside but I definitely see a good NHL player here. More like Girard than Spurgeon. When Girard has space to play his game he’s awesome…a one man breakout machine who skates like the wind and has an overall high level of intelligence. But in certain cases he’s overmatched physically and can be basically erased from high leverage games where physicality takes over. And when he does make bad decisions or goes through slumps - they can look, viscerally, especially egregious because of his size and lack of strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad