LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I think Hutson in the 60s is good value for a team like Montreal who had plenty of kicks at the can. As an NTDP fan and general supporter of undersized players, I'm rooting for Hutson. That said, I think there's a lot of obstacles here.

The rope he was given by the NTDP last year was pretty stunning to me. He would pinch at basically every opportunity imaginable. He had the speed and skill to get away with it in juniors, I think he's going to have to become much more discerning to earn coaches' trust in the pros. BU will be a good middle ground.

Reality is this is a player who could wake up tomorrow three inches taller and twenty pounds stronger and his size would still be an obstacle. The margins for error here are tremendously narrow. Not only is he going to have to gain serious strength and understanding to compete with NHL competitors, he's going to have to elevate the strong parts of his game (generating 5v5/powerplay offense and transitioning the puck) to a pretty exceptional level to justify the deficiencies that come along with his size/strength and high-risk style.

I really hope things pan out for Lane, but if I had to predict the next five years I'd anticipate something like this

1 year out: He has a great year at BU, hfboards pumps his tires heavily, people start a victory lap.

3 years out: He has two good college years under his belt. Produces alright at the AHL level but struggles to gain the trust of his coaches and is getting outmuscled pretty routinely. His biggest advocates still see him as a top 4 player, but others come back down to earth a bit.

5 years out: He's included as a sweetener/reclamation project in a trade, and never quite finds his footing in the NHL.

Hopefully a few years from now someone can dig up this post and it ages terribly, I'd love for Hutson to overcome the odds. But I think people are underestimating the obstacles here.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
People forget that everyone grows at the same rate. I was 5’10 when I graduated and grew to 6’2 by 19. Hutson’s dad had a similar thing happen to him too, don’t count him out from growing a lot.

Reactions: 1909

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
People forget that everyone grows at the same rate. I was 5’10 when I graduated and grew to 6’2 by 19. Hutson’s dad had a similar thing happen to him too, don’t count him out from growing a lot.
Just getting to 5’10 puts him in range to play. Quite a few 5’10 D in the league. You need to be dynamic to do it, but Hutson is certainly that.

Reactions: abo9 and Tryamkin

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It can happen but let's also keep in mind how rare it is. Something like 90% of boys don't grow a single inch beyond age 17. Hutson might be that exception, per his endocrinologist.

I think Hutson in the 60s is good value for a team like Montreal who had plenty of kicks at the can. As an NTDP fan and general supporter of undersized players, I'm rooting for Hutson. That said, I think there's a lot of obstacles here.

The rope he was given by the NTDP last year was pretty stunning to me. He would pinch at basically every opportunity imaginable. He had the speed and skill to get away with it in juniors, I think he's going to have to become much more discerning to earn coaches' trust in the pros. BU will be a good middle ground.

Reality is this is a player who could wake up tomorrow three inches taller and twenty pounds stronger and his size would still be an obstacle. The margins for error here are tremendously narrow. Not only is he going to have to gain serious strength and understanding to compete with NHL competitors, he's going to have to elevate the strong parts of his game (generating 5v5/powerplay offense and transitioning the puck) to a pretty exceptional level to justify the deficiencies that come along with his size/strength and high-risk style.

I really hope things pan out for Lane, but if I had to predict the next five years I'd anticipate something like this

1 year out: He has a great year at BU, hfboards pumps his tires heavily, people start a victory lap.

3 years out: He has two good college years under his belt. Produces alright at the AHL level but struggles to gain the trust of his coaches and is getting outmuscled pretty routinely. His biggest advocates still see him as a top 4 player, but others come back down to earth a bit.

5 years out: He's included as a sweetener/reclamation project in a trade, and never quite finds his footing in the NHL.

Hopefully a few years from now someone can dig up this post and it ages terribly, I'd love for Hutson to overcome the odds. But I think people are underestimating the obstacles here.

There is a player type that would finish near the top of the HF prospect rankings for several years and then never establish themselves in the NHL. I'm hoping Lane Hutson avoids that fate but so far I can see him fitting that.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
It can happen but let's also keep in mind how rare it is. Something like 90% of boys don't grow a single inch beyond age 17. Hutson might be that exception, per his endocrinologist.

Not just the doctor's report. Apparently both his dad and brother did so it seems common in their family.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
PURE INTIMIDATION!
FXj5gg0XgAE1_oE.jpeg.jpg

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
There is a player type that would finish near the top of the HF prospect rankings for several years and then never establish themselves in the NHL. I'm hoping Lane Hutson avoids that fate but so far I can see him fitting that.

Yeah I think this is exactly it. Hutson will probably have an electric year at BU, he's already played against NCAA competition so a degree with the NTDP. And based on the hype for Mete, Juulsen, Romanov, Fleury, Harris, Struble, etc. I think this board will really light up for the player.

But again, we're talking about a guy who would likely be the literal shortest defenseman in the league. He'll probably have the shortest reach of any defenseman, and that's a problem. He'll have to add 15-20 pounds of good weight, and that's not always a given for smaller guys in cardio-intensive sports. Even then you're looking at one of the lightest defenseman in the league.

I think almost every hockey fan would like to see a 5'8 defenseman drafted in the second round succeed in the NHL. But Hutson's path to success is a pretty narrow tightrope - major strength gains, a more balanced approach to assessing and engaging risk, and elevation of his biggest strengths are all vital steps for Hutson to hold his own in the NHL. I think it's a good dart to throw for a rebuilding Montreal team in the second round, and I'd love to see Lane beat the odds. I think you've got to be sober about the likelihood here though.

Reactions: jj cale and Gravity

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'll offer another point of information here.

Nick Blankenburg is a 5'8 D-man who just had a stellar career at Michigan. He was one of their best players (on the top pair with Power) and captain of the team. There wasn't an avalanche of interest in signing him from NHL clubs because of his size. He goes to the NHL last Spring and looked good immediately.

In short sample at least, Blankenburg was one of the Jackets best defenders. I haven't really thought of that in relation to Hutson yet because their playstyles are very different. Blankenburg isn't a natural offensive guy, he is just really effective in quickly reading and neutralizing the opposition. But there is time for Hutson to learn that side of the game. He can't sit back on his heels, he'll get run over. He has to control play instantly. It is a tight rope of development for small defenders, for sure.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Why don’t guys like this jsut play forward. Clearly he’d be great without all these question marks

I know right? Especially when his strongest points could transfer naturally to a winger position?

You'd think that he and the team would work together to find rhe best path forward. Size hasn't limited him yet as a defender obviously, but why not switch to winger... he clearly got the skills and size is less of an issue.

Probably some things related to timing at the respective positions though

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My father was 5'6" and 180 lbs. Barrel chested, wore 44 jacket, very strong. Farm boy hauling olive bags tend to create that kind of body. (I'm a 4 inch and 40 pound bigger version of him.)

Bullion was built like that. 5'8" and 198.

The problem with Hutson is that he's short, he's also average build. This isn't going to change much in his life. At best, he's going to top out at maybe 165-170 pounds. You can only add so much muscle in a given frame.

With that kind of insane skating and vision, he should be seriously looked at as a winger rather that then a failed career as a defenseman.

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad