LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hutson is a luxury player. I can see how it works for him, but I can also see how it doesn't.

He's really most comparable to Quinn Hughes, but with better defensive play and worse skating.

I've stopped comparing him to some other smaller defensemen that have panned out like Spurgeon or Girard because I think he's a little too different from them,.

Some of the offensive risks he takes are going to drive coaches crazy, and he makes a lot of plays that you'd advise against. He often tries to make very low percentage plays to create scoring chances instead of making the advisable play to an open teammate.

He needs a defensive partner that can babysit all his excursions. Thats a hard player to try to accommodate. He'll need to be developed correctly. Not everyone is going to be willing to accommodate Hutson, especially considering he's not some generational prospect with that style.

I thought he had a good tournament, but not a great one.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great post. I am coming around to McGoarty, and share your hesitancy about buying into the smaller players on the squad making a dent in the NHL. I do like Gauthier quite a bit, and thought I liked him more than McGroarty, but i'm not so sure now. It really depends how much he, Snuggerud, and Kaplan mature, and how well they can take physical play. You never know, really, till a guy their own size or bigger lays into them. Nazar has a game like Garland's, maybe? Isaac I'm not sure about.
No Lucius?
Gauthier was misused. He's not a winger. He needs to play on the inside of the ice and play a simple game. When you put him at winger he tries to impersonate the small skill guys, and he's not that.

Forgot about Lucius. He's missed nearly the whole year that it's easy to forget about him. He's okay. I like him a little more than last season. He's probably like a mid-round pick. I'd put him after Spicer, but above Berard.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Finished second all time in points for a defenseman at the NTDP. Notables he finished above include Fox, Hughes, Hughes, Sanderson, and McAvoy.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Man how do you not gamble on a talent like this in the 1st round, especially in the back half or a team with multiple firsts? Somebody take this kid early. Always bet on skill in the 1st round

If he makes it that far, I think one of Buffalo (28th, 41st), Montreal (30ish, 33rd) or Arizona (31st & 32nd-ish, 34th) will end up taking a chance on him.

Reactions: wetcoast

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
If he makes it that far, I think one of Buffalo (28th, 41st), Montreal (30ish, 33rd) or Arizona (31st & 32nd-ish, 34th) will end up taking a chance on him.
Depending on who is available, as a Caps fan, I wouldn't be upset at all if the scoop him up at 20. But really no excuse for a team that has a couple picks within the top 50. Especially those loaded with them in the 1st and 2nd like Arizona, who just needs to stockpile talent everywhere

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The NTDP players apparently have NHL teams that visit Plymouth and do meetings/interviews all year long. Its like a one stop shop where NHL teams can hit a handful of top players at once. A good number of teams have already had several in person meets/zooms with the top NTDP kids.
Was going to come and post this. Most teams probably have a really good sense on these NTDP players. Markus Kasper? Not so much.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He officially measured in at:
  • Lane Hutson (25th NA): 5-foot-8.25, 158 pounds
Source: 2022 NHL Combine Heights & Weights

He thinks he can grow a bit:

Sizing up the situation

Lane Hutson (5-8, 148) came to the combine prepared to ease any concern teams might have had about his ability to play in the NHL at his current size.

"I've seen an endocrinologist for my bone age and my bone age is delayed compared to my biological age," said Hutson, a defenseman for the USA Hockey National Team Development Program Under-18 team. "So, there's still room to grow for myself. For teams concerned about it, I'm still not done growing."

Hutson said his older brother, Quinn, grew a few inches between his 19th and 20th birthdays to reach 5-11, the same height as their father. Lane said there's a chance he'll reach 5-11 as well.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He officially measured in at:
  • Lane Hutson (25th NA): 5-foot-8.25, 158 pounds
Source: 2022 NHL Combine Heights & Weights

He thinks he can grow a bit:

Will the new trend for NHL teams be to hire an endocrinologist on their scouting staff?

For the Canucks I'd hire one and let Ron Delorme go...just saying.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I wouldn’t be upset if the Stars drafted him at 18. Or even trade down and get an extra second then draft him later in the first.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
I saw something posted (I think on Twitter hockey......?) that was making a point about how his wingspan measurement was wider than you would expect for someone his height. It was inferring that his wingspan might give him the same advantage of a taller player. Did anyone else see that post.........
I wanted to take a closer look into that because I found it interesting but can't find the post or even a full list of the wingspan results from the Combine.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I saw something posted (I think on Twitter hockey......?) that was making a point about how his wingspan measurement was wider than you would expect for someone his height. It was inferring that his wingspan might give him the same advantage of a taller player. Did anyone else see that post.........
I wanted to take a closer look into that because I found it interesting but can't find the post or even a full list of the wingspan results from the Combine.
I really think he’s not done growing and he’s going to be a steal for whoever drafts him. My buddy’s dad is best friends with his dad so I’m a big supporter.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Wingspan doesn't give the same advantages in hockey as it does in a sport like basketball. Weird measurement to key in on. I guess it can help with stick checking.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Sorry gang but I can't get behind Hutson going in the first round after initially thinking i could. I agree that he is far better defensively than some initially gave him credit for and there is some Sean Behrens (some) in him from a physical/defensive standpoint, but I can't put a 5'8 defenseman in the first round in one of the deepest drafts we've had for defensemen. No harm in putting him in Round 2 since so many elite NHL men were drafted there, but the vast, vast majority of the NHL's best forwards come from Round 1, which means only the max-max upside defenders should go in the top 32.

My prediction is that it will take him three or four years of college and two more in the AHL to even sniff a full-time NHL job. Everyone also goes "Krug" and "Girard", but look at the other smaller types who can't crack a roster full-time or took forever-- Ahcan, Perunovich, Aho, Bryson etc.

It may be worth the wait, but within that timeframe you'll probably be kicking yourself for passing on a forward who by 22 or 23 is already established on a first or second line. It's just weird that the narrative surrounding Hutson has shifted from skilled but small to skilled and "oh, he'll grow 2-3 inches because of bone age and he has a massive wingspan".

I'm not relying on bone age in Round 1. Round 2? No problem.

Hockeygrassroots

Dec 2, 2021
Sorry gang but I can't get behind Hutson going in the first round after initially thinking i could. I agree that he is far better defensively than some initially gave him credit for and there is some Sean Behrens (some) in him from a physical/defensive standpoint, but I can't put a 5'8 defenseman in the first round in one of the deepest drafts we've had for defensemen. No harm in putting him in Round 2 since so many elite NHL men were drafted there, but the vast, vast majority of the NHL's best forwards come from Round 1, which means only the max-max upside defenders should go in the top 32.

My prediction is that it will take him three or four years of college and two more in the AHL to even sniff a full-time NHL job. Everyone also goes "Krug" and "Girard", but look at the other smaller types who can't crack a roster full-time or took forever-- Ahcan, Perunovich, Aho, Bryson etc.

It may be worth the wait, but within that timeframe you'll probably be kicking yourself for passing on a forward who by 22 or 23 is already established on a first or second line. It's just weird that the narrative surrounding Hutson has shifted from skilled but small to skilled and "oh, he'll grow 2-3 inches because of bone age and he has a massive wingspan".

I'm not relying on bone age in Round 1. Round 2? No problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: starsfan86

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I prefer Hutson to Behrens. Behrens could definitely end up the better player, but if I'm going to bet on a small defenseman, I want someone with Hutson's dynamism. His upside definitely warrants a 1st rounder. If he doesn't work out, oh well, most players picked in the 20-30 range don't. But if he hits? Hutson could be a home run.

And I'm generally cautious with drafting small players too high with only perceived upside in mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad