LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel like Hutson is similar to Behrens, but skates better. Also similar to Fensore in being similar, but better in the same areas they are good at. He’s similar to Hughes, but not as good of a skater and better defensively. That’s a lot to juggle, but there’s no exact comparison.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I prefer Hutson to Behrens. Behrens could definitely end up the better player, but if I'm going to bet on a small defenseman, I want someone with Hutson's dynamism. His upside definitely warrants a 1st rounder. If he doesn't work out, oh well, most players picked in the 20-30 range don't. But if he hits? Hutson could be a home run.

And I'm generally cautious with drafting small players too high with only perceived upside in mind.

The "oh well" attitude towards late first rounders depends on many factors, beginning with the team doing the drafting. Hutson has warts, and it seems like people are in love with the shake-and-bake skill and skating. There are at least two dozen playmaking defensemen in this draft with top-four upside who can QB a power play, and that's just off the top of my head. The odds are stacked against him not only because of his size, but also the intense competition within the draft class. I know my team doesn't need him at all and he'll just end up getting blocked or delayed.

FWIW, Behrens was a No. 1 on an NCAA champion as a freshman and played in every situation. Going to be tough for Hutson to match or exceed that next year.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I see your point but what Hutson has been able to accomplish for the program with his current frame is more than any 5'10" plus D has accomplished outside of Cam York I believe and that was against one of the most competitive NCAA schedules in recent years, keep in mind they played college teams with 6 year covid seniors in the lineup and a USHL the previous year with college kids playing back down in juniors. There is a photo floating online with him standing next to Behrens at last year worlds, in the photo he looks same height as a supposed 5'10" Behrens and that was a year ago, Hutson legs look longer too, even though at the time they were claiming Hutson was 3 inches shorter than Behrens? If his bones are still open, two years of college and an extra 15-20 lbs pounds, the protentional is huge. Outside of the top 5 to 10 picks, NHL teams draft for the future, it's not too often picks 11-32 crack an NHL roster immediately, NHL teams are drafting for their future, they have to go for potential ceiling and in this case the potential is huge.

All fair points, but this draft has too many playmakers from the blue line who are bigger and can either skate quicker or be just as agile. If this draft was thin on skilled defensemen like 2020, I'd take a shot late in Round 1. But this year is nuts with offensive defensmen or high-end two-way types. I can make a case for Odelius, Duda, Grudinin, Mateychuk, Lindgren, Havelid, Rinzel, Mintyukov, Korchinski, Luneau, Nelson, Buchinger, and Hamara all having 50+ point potential in the NHL and being late first round picks.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Wingspan doesn't give the same advantages in hockey as it does in a sport like basketball. Weird measurement to key in on. I guess it can help with stick checking.
Yeah..... I was thinking in stick checking and also reach. Might give him the reach of a player a little taller.........

Reactions: bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Wingspan doesn't give the same advantages in hockey as it does in a sport like basketball. Weird measurement to key in on. I guess it can help with stick checking.
You don't think having a longer reach is beneficial in hockey? Do you know anything about leverage when shooting?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I can make a case for Odelius, Duda, Grudinin, Mateychuk, Lindgren, Havelid, Rinzel, Mintyukov, Korchinski, Luneau, Nelson, Buchinger, and Hamara all having 50+ point potential in the NHL and being late first round picks.
That's an outlandish claim

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
1655083117677.png

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The US NTDP continues to produce great prospects year after year. The 2022 Draft is no different with defenceman Lane Hutson the tenth player we have profiled from the program so far. Hutson had a huge season with the US NTDP. He put up 10 goals and 53 assists for 63 points in 60 games, playing against USHL opponents and college hockey exhibitions.

Hutson capped it off with an outstanding tournament at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He put up eight assists in six games to lead the tournament. Hutson helped the American team win silver. He was also given a number of personal honours including being named best defenceman in the tournament, a member of the All-Star Team, and a top-three player on Team USA. Hutson also put up five assists in five games at the 2021 U18s. He was also named a top-three player on the team in that tournament.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Montreal or Arizona will take him at the end of the 1st round, I'm sure of it. I hope it's Montreal too.

The only knock on him is that he might not be able to compete in the NHL playoffs due to his size. I have no doubts that, at bare minimum, he will be a very productive NHL regular season player.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Montreal or Arizona will take him at the end of the 1st round, I'm sure of it. I hope it's Montreal too.

The only knock on him is that he might not be able to compete in the NHL playoffs due to his size. I have no doubts that, at bare minimum, he will be a very productive NHL regular season player.

You must be over the moon getting him at the end of the 2nd round instead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad