LD Jesse Pulkkinen - JYP, Liiga (2023 undrafted)

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
If this kid, a late birthday re-entry who can’t skate goes first round, this just reaffirms my
opinion that this draft class sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: Svedu

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If this kid, a late birthday re-entry who can’t skate goes first round, this just reaffirms my
opinion that this draft class sucks.
You watch this…

…and your take away is he “can’t skate”? Do you mean “straight line, separation speed” exclusively when you say “skate”? Because I see an absolutely massive player who can freaking dance out there.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
You watch this…

…and your take away is he “can’t skate”? Do you mean “straight line, separation speed” exclusively when you say “skate”? Because I see an absolutely massive player who can freaking dance out there.

Me too. He displays skill on all 4 edges. Moreover he uses deception to create space and uses his reach to pull pucks out of danger. He looks like a possession monster and with a frame like that he should develop into a decent defender as well.

1st round talent in my mind.

rt

May 13, 2004
Me too. He displays skill on all 4 edges. Moreover he uses deception to create space and uses his reach to pull pucks out of danger. He looks like a possession monster and with a frame like that he should develop into a decent defender as well.

1st round talent in my mind.
I would also say that he’s gapping up really well and closing on guys regardless of lack of that extra gear of separation speed.

At least in that highlight package. I once saw an Andrei Kostitsyn highlight reel that made him look like Cam Neely mixed with Marian Hossa. Haha.

Reactions: Blueston and mazmin

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Can't skate? Based on what?
Based on using your eyes.
You watch this…

He can’t skate. Anyone can good in open ice.

• Haha

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019

"Based on using your eyes"... Lol! Others are explaining or having a detailed impression and prediction and you just offer that boomer explanation? Again, lol!

GordieHowYaDoin

Nov 9, 2022
Detroit/Nash
"Based on using your eyes"... Lol! Others are explaining or having a detailed impression and prediction and you just offer that boomer explanation? Again, lol!
I mean, buddy modeled his username off some pissy-pants who couldn't hack in it the NHL.
Some people are just miserable. Hoping we see some real cope, seethe, and dialate come June from HF Kravtsov

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

You should try it some time. Don't look like he cant skate to me, I guess going through and skating around defenders who are grown professional men is just open ice? :huh:

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
You should try it some time. Don't look like he cant skate to me, I guess going through and skating around defenders who are grown professional men is just open ice? :huh:
Maybe watch full games rather than just “highlights” you know, the things that are meant to show the individual at hand in a good light. I guarantee you I can find highlights that make Mike Rupp look like a good skater.

rt

May 13, 2004
Maybe watch full games rather than just “highlights” you know, the things that are meant to show the individual at hand in a good light. I guarantee you I can find highlights that make Mike Rupp look like a good skater.
Trying to piece together what you’re saying here…do you mean to say that while he obviously *can* skate, as evidenced in the highlight clips, he usually *doesn't* skate well consistently? Based on you watching him regularly in league play?

We’re all about to get a real good look at him during a best on best tournament this week. I’m just curious if you’d be willing to expand on the assertions you’ve made. Thanks.

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
So you’re saying that occasionally he knows how to skate, but completely forgets that skill at other times? Highlights are enough to determine a players skating ability if you know which things to look for. Clearly you don’t.

rt

May 13, 2004
He had an extremely solid game today against Canada. I was very impressed. He showed he’s got a long stick that he’s very active with and can really break up plays. He’s got the length and stride to gap up quick. Showed a good physical edge.

And also showed some nice offensive flashes in a game where his team had very few. He was so slick on that 2nd Finland goal late in the game. He took that roughing minor right after but Bonk hit him first and it was a total sell job. I didn’t hate it.

He made a couple of mistakes early in the game but I like how hard he worked to make up for it in it right after.

Thought Finland’s PP was garbage and their forwards struggled on the point, I thought. Would love to see Pulkkinen on the PP instead.

Not a good first game against Canada. I hope he can do better.
I disagree. Thought he had a great game.

Reactions: FinPanda

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
He’s an interesting player. His skating reminds me in terms of style of Chara. Meaning he has very long strides so it may seem like he is slow, but he is not. I don’t think he is fast either…but neither was Chara. I would say this kid has average skating. But if he continues to learn to use his size better to shield the puck and continues to work on his skating, he might be ok in the NHL.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
He had an extremely solid game today against Canada. I was very impressed. He showed he’s got a long stick that he’s very active with and can really break up plays. He’s got the length and stride to gap up quick. Showed a good physical edge.

And also showed some nice offensive flashes in a game where his team had very few. He was so slick on that 2nd Finland goal late in the game. He took that roughing minor right after but Bonk hit him first and it was a total sell job. I didn’t hate it.

He made a couple of mistakes early in the game but I like how hard he worked to make up for it in it right after.

Thought Finland’s PP was garbage and their forwards struggled on the point, I thought. Would love to see Pulkkinen on the PP instead.

I disagree. Thought he had a great game.
Great? Lol. If he was great, what was Kokko then? Inhuman?

Reactions: LeProspector

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Am I supposed to respond to this somehow? I guess thanks for attempting to engage? :)
Sorry for being too sarcastic but in all honesty? No, perhaps he was decent or good. Great? You just can't be great without producing and when your team easily loses. In no way was he great. Also, if Kokko would have been a worse goalie Finland would have lost this game with another three goals. And therefor, as a D, he just wasnt't anything more than good (if even that) or decent.

Reactions: LeProspector and rt

rt

May 13, 2004
Sorry for being too sarcastic but in all honesty? No, perhaps he was decent or good. Great? You just can't be great without producing and when your team easily loses. In no way was he great. Also, if Kokko would have been a worse goalie Finland would have lost this game with another three goals. And therefor, as a D, he just wasnt't anything more than good (if even that) or decent.
I should mention that I’m an American Coyotes fan who didn’t have a rooting interest in this game. I was watching closely the draft eligible prospects and the Coyotes prospects without much care at all for how the game turned out. I was more focused on individual efforts.

• Love
Reactions: Blueston and Svedu

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I should mention that I’m an American Coyotes fan who didn’t have a rooting interest in this game. I was watching closely the draft eligible prospects and the Coyotes prospects without much care at all for how the game turned out. I was more focused on individual efforts.
You’re just biased for any big players in this draft, because you believe the tall Armstrong and the Coyotes will draft a player like him.

you went into the game hoping that Pulkkinen would play well, so that’s what you saw, when in all reality he didn’t have a great game.

rt

May 13, 2004
You’re just biased for any big players in this draft, because you believe the tall Armstrong and the Coyotes will draft a player like him.

you went into the game hoping that Pulkkinen would play well, so that’s what you saw, when in all reality he didn’t have a great game.
Wow. You are really amazing. Now tell me if my moon sign means this is a good season for love or should I avoid any financial risks this month because of my rising sign? Perhaps you can recommend a good crystal to heal my hockey viewing biases?

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Definitely wasn't the worst Finnish skater there. He wasn't anything special, but he did have some good moments. He was one of the few good ones, but definitely wasn't great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad