LD Jarred Tinordi (2010, 22nd overall, Montreal)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I'll ask this question though for London fans, I don't follow the team so who is in charge of the defensemen?
Jacques Beaulieu had that as one of his primary responsibilities, I believe. Can't do too much better at the junior level there, probably. He's off to Sarnia to run the whole show there now, and many here will know of him from his son, the soon-to-be-highly-drafted Nathan.

Papa Bear

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I think people underestimate the difficulty in making the transition that Jarred made last year. He went from probably playing 15-18 minutes a night about once a week against predominantly high-schoolers to playing well over 20 minutes most nights, about 3 times a week against, on average, much better competition. That's a huge jump in competition that not everyone will make as smoothly as other (i.e. John Carlson).

Let's not forget how lost Max Pacioretty looked when he made the jump to the NHL just 2 years removed from the USHL compared to how well he played this season. And he was not a 6'6" defenseman trying not to trip over his own feet.
Chara (who I'm only using as a comparison because of his height) did not really begin to dominate until he joined the Senators, 5 full seasons after being drafted. I'm looking forward to see what type of strides Jarred makes in his second season.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
He's got some great tools but doesn't use them well.

He was god awful this year in London. It'll be interesting to see how he responds this year.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Jacques Beaulieu had that as one of his primary responsibilities, I believe. Can't do too much better at the junior level there, probably. He's off to Sarnia to run the whole show there now, and many here will know of him from his son, the soon-to-be-highly-drafted Nathan.

not so sure about that. at least from what i know from his days in Saint-John he didnt really help Sauvé, Grant and Despres out there. No progression at all from those #1 overall pick (Q draft) when Beaulieu was there. You saw a HUGE difference once Gallant took over

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I've heard different, granted it could be just an excuse for Tinordi's struggles, as someone that doesn't follow London I have no clue what's going on but I had heard that there was concerns with the D coach. But now that he won't be there I guess it's a non issue. Either way I just hope he gets back on track and has a big year (making Team USA would be nice too)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I've heard different, granted it could be just an excuse for Tinordi's struggles, as someone that doesn't follow London I have no clue what's going on but I had heard that there was concerns with the D coach. But now that he won't be there I guess it's a non issue. Either way I just hope he gets back on track and has a big year (making Team USA would be nice too)
Well, I don't necessarily say I'm vouching for his attributes as a defense coach. More just affirming that they have "a guy" - and a guy with a relatively high profile and overall credentials (i.e. enough credentials to be a head coach and GM elsewhere) as their guy who "handles the D". Not just some generic guy learning the ropes, as many OHL assistants are (which is not to say either that some of those young guys learning the ropes aren't good).

Tinordi will have had some handling. Good or bad, I don't have any basis to judge, but not just dropped in to sink or swim on his own, basically.

The whole defense seemed "weird" to me in the London games I saw. They were really holding back and there was a lot of gapping. The lack of a puck-mover after D'Orazio left was partly personnel, but it seemed partly strategic too. I don't know, London always seemed more of a specialty team system that left the transition to the forwards, as a Hunter-era generalization, although they had a couple big star producers on D most of the time in the past, unlike this year. We have a few hardcore London fans around here somewhere who could give us a better rundown...

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Season ticket holder in London and saw every game Tinordi played at home and some on the road...

He started off the season and you wonder why he was a first round pick. He struggled with every part of his game but once Christmas rolled around he admitted that the OHL was tougher then he thought. Once Christmas left and trades happened he started to become the D-man I thought he would be.

He was played big, mobile and and wasn't intimidated. About once maybe more a game he'd stand someone up at the blueline that sometime changed momentum of the game. He fought for his teammates and at the beginning didn't defend himself well in fights but by the playoffs he was much better.

His offensive upside is limited. He may get time this year in London to see what he can do but he'll be luck to eclispe 8 goals a year in the NHL. He is a big mobile hard nose shutdown D-man that IMO can play in either the first or second pairing and not hamper his partner.

To say he had a brutal year in London isn't true. Once the TOI was placed on his shoulders he became a much better D-man and something that was talked about alot a leader on the ice... and probably off it.

London's whole defensive approach last year was a joke IMO.... first option when they had the puck was off the glass, second was ice it and third was make a breakout pass. They played a trap and allowed teams to cross the blueline without a stick being laid on them and that lead to craziness in there own zone and alot of struggles for a young team. The players weren't allowed to use there speed to forecheck it was a sit back and wait approach.

Hope that helps.

Labatt Blue

Jun 11, 2011
Hamilton, ON
Season ticket holder in London and saw every game Tinordi played at home and some on the road...

He started off the season and you wonder why he was a first round pick. He struggled with every part of his game but once Christmas rolled around he admitted that the OHL was tougher then he thought. Once Christmas left and trades happened he started to become the D-man I thought he would be.

He was played big, mobile and and wasn't intimidated. About once maybe more a game he'd stand someone up at the blueline that sometime changed momentum of the game. He fought for his teammates and at the beginning didn't defend himself well in fights but by the playoffs he was much better.

His offensive upside is limited. He may get time this year in London to see what he can do but he'll be luck to eclispe 8 goals a year in the NHL. He is a big mobile hard nose shutdown D-man that IMO can play in either the first or second pairing and not hamper his partner.

To say he had a brutal year in London isn't true. Once the TOI was placed on his shoulders he became a much better D-man and something that was talked about alot a leader on the ice... and probably off it.

London's whole defensive approach last year was a joke IMO.... first option when they had the puck was off the glass, second was ice it and third was make a breakout pass. They played a trap and allowed teams to cross the blueline without a stick being laid on them and that lead to craziness in there own zone and alot of struggles for a young team. The players weren't allowed to use there speed to forecheck it was a sit back and wait approach.

Hope that helps.

Im very happy you stated this because when you draft a kid you draft a kid who has "potential" not every prospect will stick out and mtl went with a need, a big defencemen which we lost komisarek to free agency not so big as is tough, and we traded ryan o'byrne we drafted him as hope although if Oleksiak is available at 17 Habs should grab him if Tinordi-Oleksiak make team and are a shutdown pairing at this years world juniors they can gain chemistry and carry it up to bulldogs and eventually montreal would be astonishing two 6'7" monsters carry price will have to learn to play like thomas, looking underneath people lmfao only joking but all jokes aside those two could be scary

Analyzer*

I'm in no way comparing him to Chara, but Chara wasn't all that great at 19.

Chara wasn't really anything at 23, either.

Not look at Chara. If you told people 10 years ago this guy would captain a team to a cup while making 7.5 mill while being one of, if not the best dman in the league you'd get laughed at, then sterilized for being so stupid.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
No way should the habs take Oleksiak, dmen that size take too long and are far too risky to develop. There is a reason you don't see so many giant shutdown dmen and that is because they are hard to develop. If you want to risk a later round pick on one go ahead but not 1st round. Take someone like Mcneill or Klefbom, safer pick and you don't have to build from scratch.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Craig Button makes me want to :facepalm: every time he makes some sort of rankings or list. It's brutal every time.

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
I think a lot of you are missing on what Button is saying. He is saying that Tinordi is a raw talent who has the tools, he needs the time to develop them and know how to use them. That means he will do his time in the OHL and probably do at least 2 years in Hamilton too. As a Dman, coming into the NHL as a full time Dman at the age of 23 is probably on average of prospects developing at that position.

As some here have noted, Chara didn't step into the NHL and immediately dominate, that didn't really happen until his 5th year in the league where the total game came together and that was at 25.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Seriously, how does Button have a job on TSN? There must be somebody better than him for these panels.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
The guy is a project, big dmen always take longer to adjust. I'm not worried yet, ask me again 2 years from now and if there's no improvement than it can be scary.

exactly. lots of experts in this thread. how long did it take guys like chara and pronger to grow into their frames and learn the game? Myers being the exception, tinordi came from where? the ushl or prep into a much longer schedule, travel etc.
the dude still has 25-30 pounds to put on.

Raptactics29

Mar 28, 2007
London, Ontario
Jarred Tinordi was a huge disappointment in the first half last year. He wasn't being physical, was getting beat up in fights, losing battles, and making bad play after bad play. But then he just made a huge turn around and was probably the Knights best player and a big reason the Knights finished the season on fire like they did. IMO, he is almost a guarantee to be an NHL regular and he's a huge guy with very good skating. He doesn't have the offensive upside but I could definitely see him being a top PKer, a solid hitter, and a top shut down player in the NHL for a long time. Dale Hunter is definitely doing this kid a lot of good!

Montreal fans will love him soon enough.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
exactly. lots of experts in this thread. how long did it take guys like chara and pronger to grow into their frames and learn the game? Myers being the exception, tinordi came from where? the ushl or prep into a much longer schedule, travel etc.

Pronger? :help:

Dude was playing in the NHL after he was drafted.

Raptactics29

Mar 28, 2007
London, Ontario
He doesn't do a good job at it though.

Not the best fighter, I agree.. but he's a very good hitter when he's on the physical mood. He seems to get in the mentality to hit when the games are tighter.. but usually, he makes the right play before he needs to lay someone out. He's one of the best Dmen in the OHL 1 on 1 and his stick's as good as anyone's!

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006

To be fair, Pronger made the jump right away and scored 30 points as a rookie.

Tinordi didn't even score half that number... in the OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad