LD Jarred Tinordi (2010, 22nd overall, Montreal)

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Could be another Luke Schenn.

LOL no, just no.

I'd love to see him and Oleksiak man the U.S. blueline at the next WJC....

As a Canadian I'd absolutely love it too, a Canadian World Junior team would absolutely eat Tinordi up.

After the year Tinordi had here in London I find it very far fetched that any team is kicking themselves over missing out on him. It's just Button being Button. He's clearly still growing into his body but he's got such a long way to go and is far from a sure thing.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
As a Canadian I'd absolutely love it too, a Canadian World Junior team would absolutely eat Tinordi up.

After the year Tinordi had here in London I find it very far fetched that any team is kicking themselves over missing out on him. It's just Button being Button. He's clearly still growing into his body but he's got such a long way to go and is far from a sure thing.

We'll see - I heard he improved and that the team was horrible.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
We'll see - I heard he improved and that the team was horrible.

???

The team was not horrible. If I recall they made the playoffs, and this was supposedly their rebuilding year. I saw Tinordi play in London against SSM, and he wasn't very good. He's massive, and should have been plastering guys all over the ice...he has a long way to go before he's comparable to Komisarek in any way, shape, or form.

Celtic Cross

Jan 29, 2010
Hamilton, ON
Not comparable to komisarek? But komisarek has been garbage since leaving mtl secondly tinordi-oleksiak would be scary especially if habs take oleksiak 17 and he and Tinordi develop chemistry together

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
LOL no, just no.

As a Montreal fan I was excited to see him play here in Kitchener. :)
As a Kit. Ranger fan I was dreading the thought!:(

After seeing him play...as a Montreal fan I was in tears.:(
As a Kitchener fan...I couldn't wait for the Knights to put the pylon on the ice. :)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Like the other OHL contributors here, I couldn't help but be unimpressed. I was pretty ok with the idea of him at the draft... there were players I personally knew and liked better, but the descriptions of him sounded pretty interesting. And I was really glad he opted to come and play in the OHL. He also looked great in the one pre-season game I saw him play as a Hab. Based on all that, things were going fine.

But on my handful of OHL viewings... yikes. That's a lot of project. Still plenty of time, but if this past OHL season was his draft year, he doesn't get picked in the 1st round, anyway. It probably makes it a bit scarier, even with adaptation factors, that he was so marginal in juinor the year *after* his draft.

So yeah, the somewhat meaner Hal Gill outcome is basically as good as I could bring myself to hope for at the moment. Again with the caveat as well that it took Gill a fair amount of time even once he made the NHL to be get over the pylon label (assuming he's over it now).

As a Habs fan, just crossing my fingers that there's some kind of big jump forward in his development coming this season. It would be frustrating if the team burned not only this pick, but the one they traded to move up to get him as well.

IkeaMonkey*

Like the other OHL contributors here, I couldn't help but be unimpressed. I was pretty ok with the idea of him at the draft... there were players I personally knew and liked better, but the descriptions of him sounded pretty interesting. And I was really glad he opted to come and play in the OHL. He also looked great in the one pre-season game I saw him play as a Hab. Based on all that, things were going fine.

But on my handful of OHL viewings... yikes. That's a lot of project. Still plenty of time, but if this past OHL season was his draft year, he doesn't get picked in the 1st round, anyway. It probably makes it a bit scarier, even with adaptation factors, that he was so marginal in juinor the year *after* his draft.

So yeah, the somewhat meaner Hal Gill outcome is basically as good as I could bring myself to hope for at the moment. Again with the caveat as well that it took Gill a fair amount of time even once he made the NHL to be get over the pylon label (assuming he's over it now).

As a Habs fan, just crossing my fingers that there's some kind of big jump forward in his development coming this season. It would be frustrating if the team burned not only this pick, but the one they traded to move up to get him as well.

The problem with posters here is they put too much stock in terms like "First rounder", "top 15" and all that jazz. A meaner Hal Gil and people are disappointed? Any time you can get a "better" version of a rock defenseman, I'd say you did pretty good. Every "first rounder" player can't be Chris Pronger/Rob Blake. Even if Tinordi has #4 or #5 upside, that's still a solid contributing NHL player.

I've seen the same things out of Tinordi that others are seeing and think the comparisons are valid, that certainly isn't a "bad" thing at all.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Tinordi has the physical tools and pedigree to be an impact defensive defenseman at the NHL level. He's take awhile to grow into his frame, but I think we'll see some improvement in that area this year. I'll be interested to see how he looks at the U.S. WJC camp. He underwelmed last year.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
The problem with posters here is they put too much stock in terms like "First rounder", "top 15" and all that jazz. A meaner Hal Gil and people are disappointed? Any time you can get a "better" version of a rock defenseman, I'd say you did pretty good. Every "first rounder" player can't be Chris Pronger/Rob Blake. Even if Tinordi has #4 or #5 upside, that's still a solid contributing NHL player.

I've seen the same things out of Tinordi that others are seeing and think the comparisons are valid, that certainly isn't a "bad" thing at all.
If that's his absolute ceiling, though... and still leaves room for complete bust-age...? For sure as a fan only, I like to dream of my team's 1st round pick having at least the potential to be a star player. Most of them don't become that. Especially further down in the 1st round. They do become the #4/#5 guys or "just" solid contributing NHL players. Or busts. But the hope, even knowing the real odds, for something more in the meantime is somehow more comforting. :)

A meaner Hal Gill would indeed be a very good thing. Nitpicking the draft, prematurely for sure, with 1 year's hindsight... I'd probably be able to pick 30 guys taken after Tinordi who I'd rather have. How many guys picked after him would you rather have at this point in time? He can be a meaner Gill, and still a good NHLer, and as Habs fans I think we could still be within our rights to be disappointed with the pick. Or at least, with the very early (too early, for sure) returns on the pick.

No biggie, nobody is really getting worked up about it yet. But I don't see it as a "problem" that posters on HF have high hopes for their teams' 1st round picks. I don't think we're paid to be NHL scouts or managers. We're just fans.

IkeaMonkey*

If that's his absolute ceiling, though... and still leaves room for complete bust-age...? For sure as a fan only, I like to dream of my team's 1st round pick having at least the potential to be a star player. Most of them don't become that. Especially further down in the 1st round. They do become the #4/#5 guys or "just" solid contributing NHL players. Or busts. But the hope, even knowing the real odds, for something more in the meantime is somehow more comforting. :)

A meaner Hal Gill would indeed be a very good thing. Nitpicking the draft, prematurely for sure, with 1 year's hindsight... I'd probably be able to pick 30 guys taken after Tinordi who I'd rather have. How many guys picked after him would you rather have at this point in time? He can be a meaner Gill, and still a good NHLer, and as Habs fans I think we could still be within our rights to be disappointed with the pick. Or at least, with the very early (too early, for sure) returns on the pick.

No biggie, nobody is really getting worked up about it yet. But I don't see it as a "problem" that posters on HF have high hopes for their teams' 1st round picks. I don't think we're paid to be NHL scouts or managers. We're just fans.

And being a fan doesn't mean you have to be unrealistic. When the Capitals drafted Joe Finley and Sasha Pokulak, my first reaction wasn't "woweeeeee, Pronger and MacInnis v2.0 baby!". I looked at it realistically. Even with those two being, Huge, mean and "good" skating defensemen, my expectations were never really high.

It's also not being a FAN of a team either. The HF mentality is "first rounders" have to have "x" potential. "Top 15/10/5" each have their own expetations. I don't know if it's because of the grading system that Hockey's Future itself gives for prospects, but it seems that a LOT of posters are very...optimistic/pessimistic on players, oftentimes, players they have never even seen.

The sky seems to be falling in HFBoards world when it comes to Tinordi, while the sky is the limit for Oleskiak. Then after a team drafts Oles and he has a mediocre year, the sky will fall for him. It's a cycle that I just don't get around here.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
And being a fan doesn't mean you have to be unrealistic. When the Capitals drafted Joe Finley and Sasha Pokulak, my first reaction wasn't "woweeeeee, Pronger and MacInnis v2.0 baby!". I looked at it realistically. Even with those two being, Huge, mean and "good" skating defensemen, my expectations were never really high.

It's also not being a FAN of a team either. The HF mentality is "first rounders" have to have "x" potential. "Top 15/10/5" each have their own expetations. I don't know if it's because of the grading system that Hockey's Future itself gives for prospects, but it seems that a LOT of posters are very...optimistic/pessimistic on players, oftentimes, players they have never even seen.

The sky seems to be falling in HFBoards world when it comes to Tinordi, while the sky is the limit for Oleskiak. Then after a team drafts Oles and he has a mediocre year, the sky will fall for him. It's a cycle that I just don't get around here.
Hmm, not sure what we're talking about then. Seems to me the posts on Tinordi haven't ever been "woweeee, Pronger and MacInnis v2.0 baby!", and never were. We are looking at it realistically. And saying we're seeing Hal Gill. Or maybe even Finley/Pokulok. Seeing the same things said about Oleksiak too, fwiw, not "woweee Pronger".

So to turn the pet peeve around... the thing I just don't get around here is when somebody makes a little criticism or expresses a little bit of "pessimism" about a prospect, an observation of a certain snapshot in time, even with all the requisite caveats about how there is still lots of time left for evaluation and further development to turn it all around, somebody thinks you're saying the sky is falling. ;)

Zeroknowledge*

The guy is a project, big dmen always take longer to adjust. I'm not worried yet, ask me again 2 years from now and if there's no improvement than it can be scary.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I didn't see him in the OHL or the year before in the USHL when he was with the USNDTP, but I did see him in the preseason with the Habs and thought he looked good. Moved well for such a big kid that's still growing into his large frame. The Habs have had all kinds of problems with their 1st round draft picks, hopefully next year he has a big season in the OHL before moving on to Hamilton.

I'll ask this question though for London fans, I don't follow the team so who is in charge of the defensemen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad